Machine shops ?

NYCEGUY01

Who is everybody using these days for engine machine shops...

I'm up in Willard but I haven't done one in a long time.

I've bought shortblocks and crate motors...

I came across a decent deal on another LS2 ( alum block 6.0 ) so I grabbed it.

I'll need a basic block cleaning, cylinder hone, cam bearing install,crank polish have the heads cleaned and inspected, possibly a valve job.

Its everything I can do at the moment to not just run a dingle ball hone through it and send it...lol. everything actually looks good on tear down, I've run way worse bearings before..lol, but I want to do a half way decent job as it will most likely find it's way I to my c10 at some point with too much cam and a little more boost...lol

Technically I do have the tool and could to the cam bearings here and even do the hone but I'd rather have a shop do it all at once. Getting laze I guess...lol

And, here stage 1...lol

20231221_150823.jpg

NYCEGUY01

I'm hoping to do a re ring and bearing basically but we shall see...

If it needs pistons I'll end up going forged and having it balanced.
My wallet is really hoping it's good to go.

It's the only LS I've torn down that didnt have terrible looking cam bearings I just ignored and moved on though...lol

DAA

Last thing I had done was a head rebuild a few years ago, but I also went to Cleggs and was super happy with how they worked with me. To include letting me drop my head off on a day they were closed and letting me pick it up after they were closed.

- DAA

NYCEGUY01

You might give these guys a shot. Although my IDI was beyond repair they were very helpful and responsive while I was looking for solutions.

Karl is a good dude and we have good luck with Carls.

I've heard they do good work, I gave them a call earlier today because they are close. He said 3-4 weeks "probably" on cleaning it, honing it, and polishing the crank. 4 weeks " probably" scared me a little.

Tonkaman

I don’t have any personal experience, but I follow Dave’s Auto Center on Instagram. They seem to have a very nice shop and very detailed. They are in Centerville so much closer to you.

NYCEGUY01

I've heard good things from a few different sources around Ogden about Chet's. I however didn't have a great experience with Jensen's down the off 19th West.

I forgot about those guys, they did a couple valves in a set of Edelbrock Small block heads I bought cheap that ended up on my old red Blazer...
Maybe Ill give them a shot on this one. In theory, as far as machine shop work it should be a simple one

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I used Jensen's a few years ago for a head/valve job and was satisfied with the work. I had Steve Watson from Felt's Machine Shop do all my engine machining for 25+ years and have been struggling to find a shop that caters to the "racer" rather than merely dailys and repairs. Custom work is hard to find these days in an engine machine shop, at least around Northern Utah.

NYCEGUY01

I ended up taking it to Jensens even though I wasn't thrilled with the wait time..
I'm hoping the time quoted was a case of under promise and over deliver...lol
In the end the answers to questions I had were far best answered by Carl down there.
I left with the feeling that I will be good to go when it actually does get done.

I guess you probably don't want to leave your engine with a machine shop that is so slow they can get it in right away anyway I guess...lol

Back when I was doing a lot of this stuff it was always down at Felts as well.
They always really catered to the hot rodder far more than the average repair work for sure.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I think Horse Power Farms is about 50/50 on catering to the racer vs basic rebuilds. They just did a bunch of custom head work on a buddies Audi S8 race engine that nobody else would touch when he called around. SuperB (sp) seat material, oversized valves, Serdi multi angle valve cuts, etc... They take usually have lengthy lead time though on basic work.