Ford Magna SuperCharger

72Bronco

Hi everyone, I have a 2002 F150 with a 5.4L V8 that I would like get more towing power out of. I have found a couple of used Magnacharger superchargers, and have heard that they are great for additional towing power. The problem is I cant find any info on what parts are needed to do this, I don't want to by a partial kit and try and piece the rest of it together. Has anyone does this or do this? Any help/advice would be great! Thanks.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Have you tried going to their web page and finding what parts should come with the kit so that you know what you should be getting with a used system. You could possibly call them and even ask what parts would be needed.

rholbrook

Are you stuck with the decision of the MagnaCharger? Kenne Bell, Roushe and Edlebrock all make kits. Another option is STS Turbos. It would be cheaper to get you a used diesel

72Bronco

I've tried to find info on the web but, I can only find kit info on 2004 or newer. I'm not stuck on any certain system just happen to read a lot of good things concerning the Magna charger. I want to keep my truck its paid for, and only has 54,000 miles on it. Maybe my next move is to call them, has anyone installed one of these?

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I have a 2002 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4. I don't tow often with it, but understand wanting some extra oomph when you do. Don't know which truck you have, but I'm limited to 8500# due to the weight of the 4 door cab. Biggest load I've towed is a 94 Explorer on a UHaul trailer. Figure that was about 7400# or so. It wasn't an uncomfortable load, but certainly more power would have been great.

The STS turbo systems are pretty nice as long as you aren't doing much offroad or in the wet. I wouldn't mind finding a Lightning or HD supercharged motor and ECU though...

72Bronco

I have a 2002 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4. I don't tow often with it, but understand wanting some extra oomph when you do. Don't know which truck you have, but I'm limited to 8500# due to the weight of the 4 door cab. Biggest load I've towed is a 94 Explorer on a UHaul trailer. Figure that was about 7400# or so. It wasn't an uncomfortable load, but certainly more power would have been great.

The STS turbo systems are pretty nice as long as you aren't doing much offroad or in the wet. I wouldn't mind finding a Lightning or HD supercharged motor and ECU though...

I too have the Super Crew, and aside from a lack of power I love the truck. I don't really do a lot of off roading, mostly use it to pull 4 quads and it does ok, but leaves me wanting more. What are the problems with the STS off road and in the "wet"??

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I just don't like the super heated turbo mounted so low where it can get splashed. For a strictly street vehicle it would be fine.

72Bronco

That and they want $7k!!:eek: at least thats what they quoted me on my GMC 1500HD, I'd rather dump that cash in the engine.

7K! Sounds like I should keep looking, who has that kind of cash?? Maybe the Magna Charger is the best option?