Mahindra Appalacian

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
your comment is so odd to me... why would one not want gas mileage out of WHATEVER they drive?

Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. A 4 cylinder doesn't tow for sh!t and big blocks get bad gas mileage. They both have their place. Yeah having a twin turbo Duramax get a thousand miles to the gallon would be cool but its not possible. To me that truck is pointless, not being able to tow anything thats actually a load isn't worth 35 MPG to me, in a truck platform. I would rather have an STi or TDI Vdub as a daily driver and an old Chevy to tow stuff.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. A 4 cylinder doesn't tow for sh!t and big blocks get bad gas mileage. They both have their place. Yeah having a twin turbo Duramax get a thousand miles to the gallon would be cool but its not possible. To me that truck is pointless, not being able to tow anything thats actually a load isn't worth 35 MPG to me, in a truck platform. I would rather have an STi or TDI Vdub as a daily driver and an old Chevy to tow stuff.

1,000 mpg's.. riiight.. is there anyone on the hoses? there's gotta be 1,000 firefirefighters if were to guesstimate... :rofl:

the fact is, i really doubt anyone would buy this truck to replace thier Cummins, or Duramax... it's a light pickup, suv to tote around town, with occassional weekend warrior mission? i don't see it far from a Tacoma type genre of truck.. somethin light with a number of uses.. a big diesel is a pure bred rig for one use.. towing..

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
1,000 mpg's.. riiight.. is there anyone on the hoses? there's gotta be 1,000 firefirefighters if were to guesstimate... :rofl:

the fact is, i really doubt anyone would buy this truck to replace thier Cummins, or Duramax... it's a light pickup, suv to tote around town, with occassional weekend warrior mission? i don't see it far from a Tacoma type genre of truck.. somethin light with a number of uses.. a big diesel is a pure bred rig for one use.. towing..

I guess its just different perspectives. It doesn't make sense to me for people to lobby for a little truck with all that power for no other reason than gas mileage. But maybe it does make sense to enough people?:confused:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I guess its just different perspectives. It doesn't make sense to me for people to lobby for a little truck with all that power for no other reason than gas mileage. But maybe it does make sense to enough people?:confused:

well, IMO you are comparing apples to oranges if you compare this little rig to a 1/2 ton or larger truck.. it's only packin 150HP...

but it'll be interesting to see this truck develop...

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
well, IMO you are comparing apples to oranges if you compare this little rig to a 1/2 ton or larger truck.. it's only packin 150HP...

but it'll be interesting to see this truck develop...

Ha ha... I'm not. In my mind its a car with bigger tires. I can see the dual purpose idea behind it, its just not my thing.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ha ha... I'm not. In my mind its a car with bigger tires. I can see the dual purpose idea behind it, its just not my thing.

which brings up a good point.. and i've done no research/reading on this rig... does it have a true boxed frame?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Well... what are you going to use the 300 foot pounds for? I'm not trying to instigate anything, I'm honestly curious. To me its always been cars are for gas mileage and trucks are for hauling.

The 300 pound-feet of torque is to refute your claim that it will not tow more than the Colorado. ;) Most people can not afford to buy a truck just for towing, and a car just for commuting. A car can't tow, but a truck can commute. So they end up buying a truck for the one percent of the time that they tow, and 99 percent of the time they get 16 miles per gallon commuting. That's why there is a market for this truck.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
A lot of "old Chevys" aren't making much more than 150hp, if that. I'd be very surprised if I'm breaking 170 with the Burb.

I'd love a reasonably capable little truck that got decent mileage. I use the cargo capability enough to rule out most cars, so I can see the market for something like this.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Awesome points! i can see it having a good market

You can tell they're gearing up for the US market with those stock slider lookin bars, the lights everywhere.. add-on bumpers... the market here for aftermarket add-ons is huge!

Last edited:

Paul R

RockMonkey said:
Didn't read the article, did ya?

"...it will be available for the two-door and four-door pickups, and the SUV"

;)

I guess not I saw it would be 4 wheel drive but ran out of time to finish the article. That is sweet!

I found the four-door truck:

mahindra1.jpg

I may be crazy but this is really growing on me I could definately see picking one up and a small lift or better suspension. It would be interesting to hear the durability off road. Diesel is the kicker for me, and I think a solid bull bumper up front and some 32-33" tires would improve it a bunch.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
The 300 pound-feet of torque is to refute your claim that it will not tow more than the Colorado. ;) Most people can not afford to buy a truck just for towing, and a car just for commuting. A car can't tow, but a truck can commute. So they end up buying a truck for the one percent of the time that they tow, and 99 percent of the time they get 16 miles per gallon commuting. That's why there is a market for this truck.

A lot of "old Chevys" aren't making much more than 150hp, if that. I'd be very surprised if I'm breaking 170 with the Burb.

I'd love a reasonably capable little truck that got decent mileage. I use the cargo capability enough to rule out most cars, so I can see the market for something like this.

Theres alot more to safe towing than power. I wouldn't tow anything more than I would with my XJ with that truck.

And my old Chevy is making alot more than 150 HP and alot more than 300 ft lbs.:greg:

It does look like a decent platform if you're into that kind of thing.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Could you imaging calling tech support on one of those? If we outsource to them, who do they outsource to? :rofl:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Theres alot more to safe towing than power. I wouldn't tow anything more than I would with my XJ with that truck.

And my old Chevy is making alot more than 150 HP and alot more than 300 ft lbs.:greg:

Is your "old chevy" stock? What is the year, make and model? Which engine?

ALF

SURE!?
Is your "old chevy" stock? What is the year, make and model? Which engine?

couldn't be stock kind of hard to read but heres the truck HP ratings from GM 73-87 I'm guessing that is what you are reffering to as an "old Chevy" although my 97 is around 250 HP stock and it's getting old:D

*RPO CODE SIZE/CONFIGURATION HP TORQUE (lb-ft) IN MODELS YEARS
LD4 250/I 6 105 185 K10,K20 73-78
LE3 250/ I 6 130 210 K 10 79-84
LB1 262/V6 155 230 K 10 85-86

LB4 262/V6(TBI) 155 230 V 10 87
L25 292 I 6 120 215 K20 73-86
LE9 305V 8 (non CA) 160 235 K 10 81-86
LF3 305/ V 8 (CA) 155 240 K 10 81-86
LG9 305/V 8 2BBL 130 240 K 10 81
LO3 305/V 8 (TBI) 170 260 V 10 87
LG8 307/V 8 (non CA) 130 220 K20 73
LS9 350/V 8 175 275 K10,K20 73-86
LT9 350/V 8 160 260 K20,K30 81-86
LO5 350/V 8 (TBI) 210 300 V10,V20,V30 87
LH4 379/V 8 DIESEL 135 240 K10,K20,K30 82
LH6 379/V 8 DIESEL 135 240 K10,K20,K30 83-87
LL4 379/V 8 DIESEL 246 K20,K30(OVER 8500GVWR) 82-87
LF4 400/V 8 185 300 K20,K30 75-80
LE8 454/V 8 230 360 K30 81-86
LT9 454/V8 (TBI) 230 385 V30 87

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I thought the numbers were similar to that of my 300.6 bronc, higher torque, better mpg, I would drive it. For the bulk of people like me that want all around performance, and occasionally tow up to 2.5 ton, 20 foot camp trailer, couple of ATV's, whatever... that would be ideal... and I liked the 4 door Avalanche looking one, kinda has a third world fj-60 or older look too it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nope.

'82 K20 350.

Mine has an edelbrock intake and carb, mallory ignition, exhaust, emissions cut out. Nothing special. I never said it was good on gas though.:ugh:

So your truck stock has this engine:
LT9 350/V 8 160 260 K20,K30 81-86

160 Horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. 10 more horsepower than the Mahindra but 40 fewer pound feet of torque. It's comparable if not a bit better than a typical "old Chevy" but gets double or better miles per gallon. Despite this, and all the people on here that seem excited for a truck like this, do you still not think there is a market for it?

Last edited: