Major emissions problem!

simplyXJ

In my EFI 22re 4Runner I just went to get it emissioned and failed terribly! On the C0 level it's supposed to be max 2.22 and was 7.52! What is causing it? O2 sensor? Leak in exhaust making computer go wild? On a side note my HC is supposed to max at 316 and is 151! Doesn't that mean I'm burining a ton more gas than I should? I don't know how these readings work and what to do to solve them...

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
on co's change your o2 sensor and your engine oil if it hasn't been done in awhile. 90 % of the time that will get it to pass.

simplyXJ

Honestly I don't know on the tune up... I haven't owned it that long. What should I do for a tune up at the 100k+ range? I haven't done one yet so sorry about my ignorance. Valves, plugs, cap and rotor/wires, what else? I have no clue! Also, is a valve job easy or should I have it done? How expensive is it?

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
a tune up will effect the hc's not the co's, but if your going to tune it up cap, rotor plugs wires and filters is a good start. then you could also check the timing. just out of curiosity what were all your readings and the limits. it would be easier to figure out whats wrong with all the info.

simplyXJ

CO2 10.0, O2 0.2, HC max 316 I got 140, CO max 2.18 I got 7.33, NO max 2307 I got 291. These readings are at the 15 MPH and the 25 MPH levels change a little bit.

simplyXJ

I found out from another site that my thorly header is a big part of the problem... It doesn't have the air injector ports! Doh!

leorn

reset
advanced timing will do that to you. check timing. It fixed mine and my emissions were way off as well

simplyXJ

Wow so it was just too advanced? Yours was off on the O2 like mine was then? How far back do I put the timing to fix it then?

leorn

reset
Emissions:HC 120, CO% 1.68 at 2500rpm (should be 120 and 1.2 respectively for NV)
HC 378, CO% 1.03 at 1600 rpm (same limits as above)

I need to check these numbers they might be the second try not the first.

I know they had to turn it back quite a bit and turn up my idle. I had a shop do it since they have a machine to test. I can't speak from experience, but as I understand you should retard the timing as much as you can to pass smog.

Check this post on marlin. It is very thorough. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=1119.0
Good luck man.

Last edited:

simplyXJ

Ok I pulled codes 5, 7, 10, and 11... Also, its a 94' engine with everything else being 85'... Also, the o2 is DEFINATLY welded in and it only has that one sensor as opposed to two of them.