Man gets 6 million is gas can fire

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ditto, Gasoline starts fire, effin brillant. Lives in magna, go figure. Too bad for the kid though

redXJ

Thats what she said
"Calder quickly admits he's partly to blame for the mobile home fire at a remote family ranch in Uintah County that his family used to visit on vacations"

:confused:

And your saying that your ok with companys saving money, so your less safe?

"Calder's lawyers argued a flame arrester, a five-cent piece, would have prevented the flame from entering the can."

I do agree that this wasn't the smartest way to get wet wood started.

Chevycrew

I feel some common sense would have prevented this.

If everything we purchased was 100% safe, we would not be able to afford to buy anything...

So if I stab myself with a knife and it kills me, its the companys fault for making it sharp?

Jesser04

I don't think a company needs to spend that nickel to protect careless people from their self. This was no ones fault but his own. I agree it's horrible a little girl had to lose her life because of her fathers poor judgement.

CJ Matt

Another BS lawsuit won hurting an American company simply because people do not take responsibility for their actions and need to blame someone else. Don’t poor gasoline on a fire idiot!

Caleb

KSL.com said:
Calder isn't likely to get his pay-out anytime soon, it could take two years. But, when he gets the money?

"It won't replace my daughter," he says, "but, it will send a lot of kids to burn camp."

After he pays his lawyers, Calder's millions will help send kids to a local burn camp.

If this here is true, then thats great that he's doing something with the money other than being greedy. I completely agree that the gas can was just trying to clean the gene pool...it failed.

Reading stories like this make me ill.
It is very sad the child was near this incompetent DB and suffered from his intelegence or lack there of.

How do they figure he is only 30% to blame?? Near as I can tell if a gas can is near the fire he is the only one to blame. And this was all decided on by a jury of his PEERS.

muleskinner

Hey, I have one of those gas cans
smallsmiley9.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Why didn't he take his 2-year-old girl outside with him when he ran away? :confused: He had the presence of mind to pat the flames off of her (supposedly), yet left here there when he evacuated?

Something doesn't add up. (more than one thing...)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Welcome to litigous America

Many have to literally 'smuggle' good gas cans (Scepter for example) into the US because our lame laws and subsequent litigation and lawsuits have forced anything worth a crap to bail out of our market. Its an absolute tradgedy what happened to this poor girl, but her father is 90% to blame with his parents being the other 10% for allowing him to spawn. Its time to legalize adulthood in America.

If your going to start a fire with gas, be it a stove, a campfire, a barrel or a crime scene... so be it, but don't expect a company to pay for your mistake. Amazed he didn't sue the mobile home manufacture and stove manufacture for forcing him to pour gas on a pilot light.

Appeal coming.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13294856
Firm to appeal Utah jury award over fatal gas fire
November 15th, 2010 @ 6:08pm
By Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- An Oklahoma company says it will appeal a $4.3 million jury award to a man whose 2-year-old daughter died in a fire ignited when he poured gasoline on a wood stove in his camping trailer.
Blitz U.S.A. told The Associated Press on Monday that evidence at trial last week in Salt Lake City showed that David Calder recklessly poured or splashed gasoline onto live embers in the wood stove.
Calder's attorney, Don Wider, tells AP the jury made the right decision.
He says a 5-cent piece of wire mesh inside the gas can spout would have kept vapors from exploding.
The company insists the container didn't explode, and that Calder had enough time to get his daughter out of the trailer in the 2005 fire. (Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)