March 2016 - San Rafael Swell

Hardcastle

I've never done a trip report so lets hope this doesn't suck. I've been to "the swell" a bunch over the years so i was attempting to drive some roads and hike some canyons that we hadn't seen in the past. This was also my 3 month old first camping trip so i was pretty excited about it. My brother and i started Thursday night by driving to Crawford Draw. it's just south of i70 near exit 131. We got there pretty late and went straight to bed. In the morning we hiked up Crawford Draw (slot canyon) as far as we dared. There was plenty of frozen pools that we walked straight across early morning but as it started to warm up they were getting softer and began cracking. With 3 dogs, 1 baby, 1 toddler, 1 pregnant lady we decided to back out. I guess i'll have to go back here later because i have no pictures and we didn't finish the hike.

After lunch we headed to the end of CR 1012 where the Hidden Splendor Mine/Airstrip is. It's also the beginning of the Muddy Creek trail.

saw some wild horses along the way. We also saw donkeys but i didn't nab a pic
IMG_0190.jpg

saw this old car
IMG_0194.jpg

Hidden Splendor airstrip
IMG_0200.jpg

Camp pics. we met up with the rest of our crew here, too.
IMG_0212.jpgIMG_0214.jpg

Here's the reason i was so excited about the trip.
IMG_0206.jpg

Hardcastle

Saturday we honed our wrist rocket and bow&arrow skills, hiked up some of Muddy creek, and checked out the mine stuff before moving on. I didn't get many pics but here are a few. I took no pics of the old mining equipment. There is also a house nicknamed Motel 6 here where i guess the miners lived.

IMG_0216.jpgIMG_0221.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

The next destination was Crack Canyon. THis is a slot canyon i never got around to walking up on previous trips. We drove north back up near the Mckay flat area then took Wild Horse Canyon road to Behind the Reef road. Although it wasn't a ton of miles this took waaay longer than we expected. Nothing a stock 4x4 wouldn't get through but it was slow. The last 500 feet took forever. It had basically washed out and a lot of digging and rock stacking happened to get all of us through. Unfortunately i have zero pics. here's some from the drive:

cool road
IMG_0232.jpg
more horses
IMG_0228.jpg
old house
IMG_0234.jpg
the convoy
IMG_0236.jpg

We found a camp all to ourselves off the Behind the Reef Road for the night. We were near the Crack Canyon trailhead.

Hardcastle

Sunday we woke up and hiked Crack Canyon.

My friends boy was all over the place
IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

If you look close you'll see a goat. It was the guys pet.
IMG_0246.jpg

my wife and son
IMG_0248.jpg

After that we ate lunch and headed toward highway 24 then north to home. Overall it was a great trip. Super happy to get my boy out on his first camping trip with some great friends and family.

Hardcastle

In case anyone is considering going here i have a little more info on the bad/fun section of Wild Horse road. On a map it's where Wild Horse Road and the ATV only section of Behind the Reef Road/ passenger car section of Behind the Reef Road all meet. Of coarse pictures don't do it justice but it took a lot of digging and rock stacking to get a stock LX470 and full size 4 door Tundra through without damage. Just a washed out road nothing major but it might help you plan out your own trip. Our two well outfitted Tacoma's didn't require any help. :)

A few pics:

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

sixstringsteve

Great TR. I miss hanging out with you and your wife. It's great to see your son out so young. Nice job starting young.