Marriage.....

MattL

So yeah, this might actually happen to me. Go figure, should be intresting. So we have talked about it and all that.. cool.

Here is the question, I would like a simple wedding and she does as well. The delema is have it here and have the 2 disfunctional families attend.. or go someplace remote... ( I suggested (commical but sincere)an aborginee chief marry us) and come back and have a simple reception. Kinda like just eloping and surprising everybody with a great tale. Dunno though. Although she would like to have a small wedding here and be able to have a dress, although if we went someplace else she would have to have a dress there too.. So yeah..

Fire away.. tell me what you all did or something you have planned. Tell me what you would do different if you have the chance or oppertunity to. Forget about what your signifigant might find out by what you might post.. Just bear it all you 4x romantics.

Meat_

Banned
Congrats :)

It's important to involve the families but you need to make sure that it's an enjoyable experience for the two of you first and foremost.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Well, Angie and I got married in the ampitheater in the campground in Arches. $50 for the day rental!! Had a non-denominational preacher do the service....very cool guy! Everyone that came down stayed at the Gonzo Inn with us. They let us use the breckfast room and patio for free. We ordered a whole bunch of pizza's from Poplar Place. Beer, Champange, and my bottle of Absolute :D
It was a huge, FUN party. Everyone had a great time....even the really old people ;)

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
do the wedding your way.. then do the reception in a civil way. It is YOUR wedding right?? My wedding was semi ruined because my little bro brought all his little buddies to it. I wanted a small wedding with family only. I would have rather done it with just me and my wife, her parents, my parents. Who really cares about you saying "I DO". Whoever cares invite them. It's nice to go to weddings so you can listed to the words that the preacher says and look at your wife and remember what it was like but at the same time you don't want distractions at your own wedding.

So yeah... make the wedding small and the reception as big as you can make it. From past experiences... don't do a dance after the reception and don't stand in a line to greet the people. Make it an all out party and just mingle with the people who come in. I have always hated standing in lines to meet the bride and groom.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
When you say disfunctional do you mean your parents don't like her parents or the whole family is nuts?

If the parents get along (or at least along long enough) ... take them and yourselves to do what you want to do. Then have the reception for everyone else.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Congratulations!

A girl I work with is planning on getting married down in Cancun, and her brother somehow got ordained online to be able to marry people... not sure how that works... but anyway, they're coming back and having an all out party/reception. I think it's way cool that they're going to get married on the beach and just stay down there for their honeymoon and all. Just do what makes you happiest though! :)

JackKeslerCustoms

My wife and I got married in arches with delicate arch in the background of the wedding video, and ran Pritchett Canyon the next day. I would recommend it to anyone.

Meat_

Banned
Keslerjr said:
My wife and I got married in arches with delicate arch in the background of the wedding video, and ran Pritchett Canyon the next day. I would recommend it to anyone.

-_- How did you ever talk her into that? Or is that when she picked up not liking 4x4ing?

MattL

rckcrlr said:
Well, Angie and I got married in the ampitheater in the campground in Arches. $50 for the day rental!! Had a non-denominational preacher do the service....very cool guy! Everyone that came down stayed at the Gonzo Inn with us. They let us use the breckfast room and patio for free. We ordered a whole bunch of pizza's from Poplar Place. Beer, Champange, and my bottle of Absolute :D
It was a huge, FUN party. Everyone had a great time....even the really old people ;)

This is a pretty cool idea. As long as the day is nice and not windy that would be way cool. How did you go about making a reservation?

She is not quiet set on this.. just a possiblility. Non the less very cool.

MattL

PierCed_3 said:
do the wedding your way.. then do the reception in a civil way. It is YOUR wedding right?? My wedding was semi ruined because my little bro brought all his little buddies to it. I wanted a small wedding with family only. I would have rather done it with just me and my wife, her parents, my parents. Who really cares about you saying "I DO". Whoever cares invite them. It's nice to go to weddings so you can listed to the words that the preacher says and look at your wife and remember what it was like but at the same time you don't want distractions at your own wedding.

So yeah... make the wedding small and the reception as big as you can make it. From past experiences... don't do a dance after the reception and don't stand in a line to greet the people. Make it an all out party and just mingle with the people who come in. I have always hated standing in lines to meet the bride and groom.

Well, I agree with alot of what you have said. The dances suck, imho. I really like the whole just moozy on over when you get a bit, chat with people etc. I have been to enough weddings to see the look of pain on a lads face after standing in "formation" for ever.

MattL

embabe said:
Congratulations!

A girl I work with is planning on getting married down in Cancun, and her brother somehow got ordained online to be able to marry people... not sure how that works... but anyway, they're coming back and having an all out party/reception. I think it's way cool that they're going to get married on the beach and just stay down there for their honeymoon and all. Just do what makes you happiest though! :)

A marriage on the beach... How cool would that be? Were they wearing a swimming suite tux and dress? That would be soooo cool. A wedding drink from a freshly cracked coconut? Blah..

MattL

Keslerjr said:

How did you meet your wife? Who was driving the jeep? :eek:

None the less sounds awesome, did you all hike to the area or if i remember right there is some what of a driveable bypass.. Did you have lots of people or few?

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I did the formal thing, looking back neither one of us wanted a formal type, cant even think of why we did, should have just gone to California, like we wanted and talked about. Do what you want, your the only ones who will remember it anyway.

MattL

TELFORD said:
I did the formal thing, looking back neither one of us wanted a formal type, cant even think of why we did, should have just gone to California, like we wanted and talked about. Do what you want, your the only ones who will remember it anyway.
Kinda sounds like what I think.. Time will tell.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
miatre said:
This is a pretty cool idea. As long as the day is nice and not windy that would be way cool. How did you go about making a reservation?

She is not quiet set on this.. just a possiblility. Non the less very cool.

I'm sure Angie will speak up, but that is a funny story....
We waited until June so the weather would to be nice....Well it RAINED, the most rain Moab has had in a 24 hr period that time of year....So we said Hell woth it and headed out to the park anyway....umbrella's or not. On the drive out, the skys cleared up, wind stopped and the sun came out!!!! Sort of amazing, but I think we had a little help ;)

Just call the Park Service to make reservations.

As for talking her it to it, it wasn't hard. She had been going to Moab with me for 8 years at that point. I proposed at Delicate Arch. Moab, Arches, and wheeling is just what we do. Second choice would be Zions.

We have never regretted it and people still tell us it was the Funnest/best wedding they have been to.

Thing I really liked is only the people who really want to go, come to a wedding like that. You don't get the "courtesy" guests, just the people that really care about you. It made it that much more special for us.

Marc