Maximum angle before I tip?

P

pokeyYJ

What is the angle that my jeep would start to tip at. The reason that I ask is because I am now working at Land Rover Centerville and I am trying to defend my beloved Jeeps. I was challanged to drive the track that they have, but I really don't want to tip over on the turn that I think is like 35 degrees. Tipping over not only would be expensive with my top on, but it would also be extremely detrimental to my ego. Has anybody driven their Jeep over the track, can it be done in a Jeep? I must defend my honor.:cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Oh yaeh, gotta love those Land Rover boys and their Maximum angle B.S., with a stock YJ (with swaybars) It shouldn't be a problem, you will just "think" it's gonna go over. Ask to drive one of theirs over it first, if they are so proud.

toy73scout

A free scout I'll take it
if you do it take pic's I got a guy at work that talks up his dico but when I say lets go he says " I dont want to heart my truck"

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
freak!! I'll do it in my zuk if it will make you feel better!! I routinely have that thing on 2 wheels when I hit the Gnarly trails !!! that paved road aint shiznit.

the real "Advantage" rover has is an ultra low center of gravity because they make their axle housings so frickin heavy!! and they sit on the frickin deck!! talk about low rider 4X4. I will take that challenge any day. you call me. 791-0377. :) I have never brought it up because I would think they would get pissed if I dripped windshield washer fluid or some gear oil on their rocks:rolleyes: they probably have some chump out there washing that thing down regularly!!

P

pokeyYJ

So I should probably put my sway bar back on and maybe even my front track bar. The problem is my Jeep is not stock but has a 4" with no sway bar and no track bars, I will definately take pics when I do it. And don't get me started on Rovers, I might work there but man those things are the most overrated P.O.S's. Kinda like Hummers (H1 and H2)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
So I should probably put my sway bar back on and maybe even my front track bar. The problem is my Jeep is not stock but has a 4" with no sway bar and no track bars, I will definately take pics when I do it. And don't get me started on Rovers, I might work there but man those things are the most overrated P.O.S's. Kinda like Hummers (H1 and H2)

True that...

plus don't rovers STILL run course spline axles??? And the housings are about paper thin.... at least on older rovs...

My partner used to work for a rover shop in Montana and then got a job here in Utah assembling Defender 110's from England...I would go over there and check em' out all the time, clean, nice, long...but still rovers...He has nothing good to say about Rovers at all...

BTW He drives a Cruiser!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Screw it. I'll do it in my Jeep with 38s, and no sway bars. It's a gimmick, anything could do it.

xjc

I give up :(
AHHHHHHH they got ya man. Its a total gimic. you could take even their land rovers another 20 to 30 degrees before tiping over. Most vehicles will slide down the hill before rolling. I,m gona give everyone an education on how to find you center of gravity and youre not gona believe what kind of hill you can take if you are going slow. Its kind of complicated though so it might take me some time

Yea, I realy need to put together an article on how to find the center of gravity of your rig. I doubt that most people know, even arca guys. Its not real practical for trail driving but it would be nice to have if you were in a precarious position, to know what your tip angle is.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by spencurai
freak!! I'll do it in my zuk if it will make you feel better!! I routinely have that thing on 2 wheels when I hit the Gnarly trails !!! that paved road aint shiznit.

the real "Advantage" rover has is an ultra low center of gravity because they make their axle housings so frickin heavy!! and they sit on the frickin deck!! talk about low rider 4X4. I will take that challenge any day. you call me. 791-0377. :) I have never brought it up because I would think they would get pissed if I dripped windshield washer fluid or some gear oil on their rocks:rolleyes: they probably have some chump out there washing that thing down regularly!!

Don't forget that the body's are aluminum.

By the way Pokey, were you there when one of your techs ripped the side a disco off with a low deck trailer, that was my trailer and the flimsy/cheesy chrome fender faired tons better than the side of that disco, any ways just curious maybe some ammo for your side. :D ;)

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I used to worry about tipping over but things have changed, if I were you I would only worry about tipping if it was in a spot where you could possibly roll more than once. A good way to get comfortable with side hills is go find one (if your in Bountiful it should be easy, thats wher I would go play) and use it as a ramp, and get the feel of your viehice, you will be surprised how far you can really go before you get really light tippy. One last piece of advice, tipping over really doesn't do all that much damage unless your moving fast. By the way does anyone have any pictures of a yellow Bronco laying on it's side, to the right of potato salad hill? If you do please contact me. :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Andy
By the way does anyone have any pictures of a yellow Bronco laying on it's side, to the right of potato salad hill? If you do please contact me. :D

you have the laziest Bronco I ever met:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Andy
I used to worry about tipping over but things have changed, if I were you I would only worry about tipping if it was in a spot where you could possibly roll more than once. A good way to get comfortable with side hills is go find one (if your in Bountiful it should be easy, thats wher I would go play) and use it as a ramp, and get the feel of your viehice, you will be surprised how far you can really go before you get really light tippy. One last piece of advice, tipping over really doesn't do all that much damage unless your moving fast. By the way does anyone have any pictures of a yellow Bronco laying on it's side, to the right of potato salad hill? If you do please contact me. :D

Was this on EJS 2001 almost at the same time the sniper rolled on PSH? Did you beer spill out of the cooler and a bunch of rednecks come and snag it as they helped tip you back on your side?...if so I have it on video...sound familiar...???

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Was it not on PSH, but the hill to the right (when looking from below) of it? If so, I saw it too. I thought it was pretty funny.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Just go do it!! Rovers shmovers I'll bring the toy down there tip it over on the're "track" then drive it around on it's side untill i get it back on the wheels, Then finish the "track" put a tire on the roof of a rover and drip oil all over the windsheild.:D HE HE

grinch

inner city redneck
If it was the 2001 roll over I saw the aftermath... I missed the roll over by about 2 min. how the hell did you flop it anyway??? Its kinda nice to see sombody besid me doing that kind of stuff thoagh.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Please get me the pictures, thank you. Well I had not slept in 48+ and tried to climb the hill, after attempting it in HI RANGE I got pissed and threw it in LOW RANGE and used alot of skinny pedal. And before I knew it I was side ways, if you ever climb that hill there is a BIG hole in front of the ledge. I'm lucky I didn't roll all the way down the hill. I let the rednecks take all the beer that was soaked in gas.:D