Mbryson's Toy Hauler ramblings

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
By NO stretch of the imagination am I a master of toy haulers. I have done a LOT of research, though. Still haven't put my money where my mouth is (and probably won't buy one--reasons to follow--mostly my wife's reasons). We've got a 29' Gulfstream bunkhouse (that's kind of been a pile of **** of late, though) and a 26' flatbed trailer (I use a tent when I take it and camp with the kids) that can haul two rigs.

Reasons to buy a toy hauler that would fit a Jeep:

1)You've got a way to make a meal wherever you go. You've got all the conveniences of home wherever you go.

2) security of a covered trailer

3) in my case, my wife does NOT wheel (and never will), so I could justify the expense of a toy hauler over just a normal travel trailer

4) you've got two "rigs" wherever you go. In my case, my wife could motor the tow rig around while I Jeep around. Keeps her less board while I'm off having fun.

Reasons to NOT buy a toy hauler that would fit a Jeep:

1) Remember your Jeep is at LEAST 4000 lbs loaded for the trail. I'd probably shoot for 5000 lbs just to have a little buffer. Personally, I think you'll wear out your "toy hauler" that's built for sand buggies, motorcycles or ATVs hauling a Jeep around in it frequently.

2) Is that the only way you have to haul your Jeep? Cuz for a day or two, that's a LOT of trailer to haul around. (you would have all the benefits of a trailer while there, though)

3) They're f'ing heavy beasts. You'll use ALL of the power available in your turbo diesel on every hill. Dry weight is heavy, loaded weight is prodigious.

4)They're a little hard to find, but they're out there.

Toy Haulers I've personally seen that would likely fit a Jeep.

Holiday Rambler
http://www.holidayrambler.com/modelsxml/hr.aspx?model=nextlevel&content=chart
I've got a buddy with one. This does fit a YJ with a springover on 37" tires. He fits, but it's a little tight. I think he's hauling 17,000-18,000 with the Jeep in the trailer and loaded for camping?

Forest River
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?nav=rec&page=sandstorm&choice=brochure

Thor
http://www.thorca.com/ta_floor.htm

Watch your NET CARGO CAPACITY. That's kind of important. Remember how much water weighs per gallon for full tanks. Estimate how much your camp/outfitting gear weighs then about triple it to get a somewhat accurate measurement of what your payload will be.

IMHO, a 3/4 ton truck is probably not enough to haul a toy hauler, your gear and your wheeling rig if only for the sticker on the door. This could be a bit of an insurance liability issue. Please consult your insurance advisor. Everyone has a different opinion. If your car insurance guy says you should be fine, I'd get it in writing from him just in case something happens. That would at least show due diligence on your part to ensure that your are insured in the event of an "incident". I'd go for a minimum of a one ton, and maybe an F450 or similar just to keep the insurance/legal guys happy?

Here's two of the concepts I like best vs. a regular toy hauler.

1) light trailer and a smallish C-class motorhome--wow, kind of the best of both worlds here if you find a C-class with enough motor (you'll need some patience, C-classes are not known for going over hills at any kind of speed, add a trailer and you're even slower) not to drive you nuts. You can park at a campground or wherever, unload and go. All the benefits of the toy hauler without the tow rig.

2) "Work and play" type or other "race" trailer with some RV conversion--they're BUILT to haul heavy things and you add the RV stuff later. I believe these trailers would hold up mucho longer than the RV based trailers. I'm not sure they'd be more comfortable or not, though. Slight redneck effect vs. the toy hauler (to me).

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=floor&choice=worknp&nav=rec

www.racingjunk.com has a ton of clever and kewl ideas that people have used to haul stock cars and what not. Used and new stuff there. Everything from a bumper pull race trailer (some of those seem QUITE nice) to full on toter home/stacker trailers and even tractor/trailers used to haul NASCAR crap around.

....a third 3) I still haven't worked this out fully in my mind, and there's some more insurance issues to clear up. Cody mentioned an idea about hauling a rig on a flatbed pickup a while back (think rollback wrecker without the rollback). You could tow a conventional tag trailer of whatever flavor behind that. Again, I'd for SURE want a dually truck to support the 5K on the bed (that just doesn't sound good on a pickup chassis to me) and a crew cab to haul the passengers. It would kind of suck for a DD, but if you're just after a tow rig, that might work pretty nice?

I've settled on the two trailers. One to haul two rigs and I sleep on the ground or the trailer deck in a tent, the other for the family camping trips. I can't have my cake and eat it to. I have to choose if I'm going to eat it, or have it. :D

...(oh, and my next pickup is a dually so I have a few more options)

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
1) light trailer and a smallish C-class motorhome--wow, kind of the best of both worlds here if you find a C-class with enough motor (you'll need some patience, C-classes are not known for going over hills at any kind of speed, add a trailer and you're even slower) not to drive you nuts. You can park at a campground or wherever, unload and go. All the benefits of the toy hauler without the tow rig.

Except for having the tow rig to drive around. (I had a motorhome and sold it.) Especially if your rig is not street legal, a motorhome is not fun....It sucks to have to pack everything up to drive into town for dinner. Motor homes also cost more every year to keep up and license than a trailer does....And GAS, mine had a 360 in it, I was lucky to average 8 mpg towing and ANY hill was 2nd gear and 35mph.

I still like the redneck 5th wheel with the tent trailer mounted to it and the deck open for the rig....Better yet, modify the tent trailer to mount to the 5th wheel trailer and a trailer of its own so it can be used alone too.

Next would be a truck camper. Nice ones are $$ but if you are some where for a week or so, you can unload it from the truck and have a driver and your rig....

mbryson

Supporting Member
Except for having the tow rig to drive around. (I had a motorhome and sold it.) Especially if your rig is not street legal, a motorhome is not fun....It sucks to have to pack everything up to drive into town for dinner. Motor homes also cost more every year to keep up and license than a trailer does....And GAS, mine had a 360 in it, I was lucky to average 8 mpg towing and ANY hill was 2nd gear and 35mph.

I still like the redneck 5th wheel with the tent trailer mounted to it and the deck open for the rig....Better yet, modify the tent trailer to mount to the 5th wheel trailer and a trailer of its own so it can be used alone too.

Next would be a truck camper. Nice ones are $$ but if you are some where for a week or so, you can unload it from the truck and have a driver and your rig....

None of those options are the "silver bullet". I've not found that yet. While my "Jeep" is street legal (but not very "streetable"), that one seems kind of intriguing to me.

I'm still kicking around a lighter weight truck camper. I think I'll still want a dually, though.

Kirk

I looked at the race trailer thing. I concluded we wouldn't want to use it as an RV when we weren't taking the jeep.

You could get a cheap second pickup and have your wife pull one of the trailers?

5th Wheel/Flat tow your jeep?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I looked at the race trailer thing. I concluded we wouldn't want to use it as an RV when we weren't taking the jeep.

You could get a cheap second pickup and have your wife pull one of the trailers?

My wife wouldn't pull either trailer if our lives depended on it. She would unhook it and make me go back and get it, though. :rolleyes::rolleyes: She doesn't Jeep anyway, so it's a non-issue. I was trying to get her to tow from Idaho Falls to Pocatello on the way back from Yellowstone this year. No dice. Led to the discussion of the dropping the trailer thing.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5th Wheel/Flat tow your jeep?

Not an option. Tires would wear out. I also don't like not being able to see the Jeep behind it and the extra hinge problem. Then there's the "forward only" issue if you're filling up for diesel.....

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've had a few motorhomes. Everything Milner said bad about them is true, but it's really the only choice you have to tow your Jeep (safely) and camp at the same time. There are a few pluses that he neglected to mention like a cold drink is always right behind you, the kids can watch TV or play a game while traveling, and a pee break can be done quickly. I recomend stopping first, but have accomplished this feat at hiway speed as well. :D

A downside to the toy hauler is the things always smell like gas inside, and you have to unload your Jeep (or whatever) before you can go to sleep. Kind of a pain if you've been on the road for 12 hours, or you're just making a quick overnight stop before your final destination

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
it might be more afordable to find a new wife that likes to wheel and sleep in a tent.:p

but if that doesnt work, mount a pop up to the front of a trailer long enough for the pop up and your jeep. (i believe you had mentioned something like this in the past)

you wont be able to haul 2 rigs, but you cant do that with a toy hauler anyway.

mbryson

Supporting Member
it might be more afordable to find a new wife that likes to wheel and sleep in a tent.:p

but if that doesnt work, mount a pop up to the front of a trailer long enough for the pop up and your jeep. (i believe you had mentioned something like this in the past)

you wont be able to haul 2 rigs, but you cant do that with a toy hauler anyway.

I have thought seriously about the pop up. I think I've set up my last one about a year ago. I have thought about a pop-up camper, though. I am sticking with the trailers I have for quite a while, I bet. Someone asked in another thread about some of the things I'd considered. Rather than continue the hijack, I just built a new thread and linked to it.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I will probably go for the redneck 5th wheel camper myself. :D Makes the most sense for me, since when we're out, we'll either be away from town enough to make "camping" attractive, or doing stuff, in which case a full motorhome won't be necessary. And besides, the $10k or so that trailer/camper will cost is enough. I do not need a motorhome or a 5th wheel totertrailer thing. :D

Or, we'll be staying at a motel/hotel in Moab/St. George and DD'ing the Blazer to the trail. :D I just wish they were skinnier. :(

LT.

Mbryson has brought up some good points. All of us have had the same problems and most of us have come up with good solutions and some have come up with some really different solutions. Campers on trucks is a good idea unless you are trying to use a 3/4 ton and have a camper that is longer than the truck (i.e. 10' or more). Then you will need an extension for the receiver and this only cantilevers the tounge weight more and gives the trailer a mechanical advantage over the trucks rear suspension. Double towing is not a bad solution if set up properly. Problems raise their ugly heads when you need to back up or if your frame on the first trailer is not up to the task (most could use some help in this area). Sprueitt came up with one of the more wild solutions that I have ever seen and he and his family are able to make it work well for their purposes. Basicly it is a small pop up camper that sits on a deck over the hitch on a goose neck flat bed trailer. He has recently added another axle to the flat bed to aide in weight distrubtion. It works well and after it is all set up I still cannot believe that no one thought of it first. Really an amazing sight. I did not like the idea of having that much weight that high off of the ground. (I am thinking about side stability here). I ended up using a race car trailer that is completely enclosed and then sleeping in the trailer. The only real gripe that I have is that I have to change the tires on the Beater everytime (the Beater will not fit into the trailer with 42" tires on her). Some have gone with a class C motor home but that maybe more expensive than others can afford.

My next trailer will be a Crawler Hauler. More or less it is a RV up front and a flat bed in the rear. Complete with slide outs, generators, AC, heaters, fridge, range, flat screen TV, DVD player, stereo, the works. Now I just need to rob a bank so that I can afford it.

LT.