Mental health: it’s ok to talk.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
About the only thing that has saved my mental state the last 6 months is a combination of the hot tub (would rather sauna but I don't have one), cold exposure, and then red light therapy. I won't post everything I've been dealing with but without those 3 things I'd be in a very very dark place.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
65 degrees in late January should be amazing for one's mental health, but not when you're recovering from the plague and can't do anything with it.

I wanted to spend the morning doing yardwork, and then maybe a little mountain biking before work. What I actually did was sit on the front porch and hack and wheeze and get up to fiddle with the truck in ten minute spurts until I was worn out and came inside for a nap. It'll have to do.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
65 degrees in late January should be amazing for one's mental health, but not when you're recovering from the plague and can't do anything with it.

I wanted to spend the morning doing yardwork, and then maybe a little mountain biking before work. What I actually did was sit on the front porch and hack and wheeze and get up to fiddle with the truck in ten minute spurts until I was worn out and came inside for a nap. It'll have to do.

Sorry you're under the weather! That's certainly no fun.

Thursty

This was me between the Christmas and New Year holidays. Totally effed up my plans to have my brother and his kids come down to hang out in the Swell and shoot some guns off for NYE.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I just got my eyes done, this ICL surgery, and it's a longish healing process evidently but I'm only on day three and I'm not supposed to even bend over to pick stuff up and I have to stay in a dark room and my vision is whacked out and oh my gosh it is affecting my happiness...

I've been pinned down before with all sorts of injuries and even after back surgery when I was stuck on my back for weeks it didn't bother me nearly as much.

I don't know why being forced to be in a dark room and not use my eyes is so strongly affecting me.
Maybe it's a fear thing fear that my eyes won't get better... maybe being blind somewhere deep in my psyche terrifies me?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So I just got my eyes done, this ICL surgery, and it's a longish healing process evidently but I'm only on day three and I'm not supposed to even bend over to pick stuff up and I have to stay in a dark room and my vision is whacked out and oh my gosh it is affecting my happiness...

I've been pinned down before with all sorts of injuries and even after back surgery when I was stuck on my back for weeks it didn't bother me nearly as much.

I don't know why being forced to be in a dark room and not use my eyes is so strongly affecting me.
Maybe it's a fear thing fear that my eyes won't get better... maybe being blind somewhere deep in my psyche terrifies me?

My wife had ICL a few years ago. She will tell you it's the best thing she ever did. She was BLIND before.

Keep your eyes wet with the solution they gave you, and enjoy the down time. You'll being seeing perfect forever and loving it.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

When I had PRK done in one eye it was astonishing how not being able to see clearly affected me. Once it passed and I was seeing awesome it was definitely the best thing ever, but getting through sucked. Hang in there! It'll be worth it!

Tebbsjeep

I had PRK done as well, and it was terrible the first week. I had to have someone watch our girl while my wife was at work, because I couldn't see well enough to take care of her. That really made me appreciate sight. Now over 3 years later, it's the best money I've ever spent.

JeeperG

My heart has been heavy lately learning of the loss of another cousin at age 40. I didn't get much time with Patrick but I'm pretty close with some of his older siblings, he was also one of the family members that loved hot rods, shadowed his father. Unfortunately he was dealt a shitty hand in the mental health department and self medicated his way to the end. I know he's in a better place now and no longer suffering, underneath the mental health and addiction i know he was a good man. We were bonded by blood no doubt, he will be missed.

These things are always a reminder to me to get out and live, I've got a good year coming up and look forward to making memories, spending time with family, friends and even meeting some of you fine folks.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My heart has been heavy lately learning of the loss of another cousin at age 40. I didn't get much time with Patrick but I'm pretty close with some of his older siblings, he was also one of the family members that loved hot rods, shadowed his father. Unfortunately he was dealt a shitty hand in the mental health department and self medicated his way to the end. I know he's in a better place now and no longer suffering, underneath the mental health and addiction i know he was a good man. We were bonded by blood no doubt, he will be missed.

These things are always a reminder to me to get out and live, I've got a good year coming up and look forward to making memories, spending time with family, friends and even meeting some of you fine folks.

Sorry for your loss man. Thats is tough. My condolences.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
To everyone:

If you're feeling down and have thoughts of self harm, please reach out to someone. Suicide isn't the answer. You are loved and people really do care!

My cousin, in his mid 30's, decided it was his answer over the weekend. The pain & grief in the wake of that decision is monumental.

This thread is full of people offering to help. Please reach out to someone, me, anyone. Please don't choose to end your life.

My number is 8O1. 663. 63O5. I answer day and night when I have service. I'll text back as quick as I can. I'll do what I can to help. Please reach out. Please.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
A girl in the neighborhood nearest ours took her life yesterday. 13 years old, it is heartbreaking for the entire school, church, neighborhood and of course most of all the family. What is the best way to support the family after this happens?

Our experience was with an adult male. As a neighborhood, we focused on taking care of the needs and to-do's of the home. Lawn mowing, hot tub checking, gutter cleaning, sprinklers, etc. (at least the men did, I am sure the women did phone calls, food, etc)
I think we basically allowed the family the time and freedom to have the time to grieve.

I don't know how that translates into a teenage girl.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've had a couple of good friends take their own life. I've not had to deal with a family member. I think everyone grieves differently and there's no real "easy button" solution. I think just acknowledging their loss and grieving with the folks that are left goes a long ways? Small things grow big. Lawn mowing, a meal, a handyman fix or similar can help adults. Tough to deal with when it's kids. Hopefully close family friends will be able to offer a bit of support whatever their age. Everyone checks in for the first 7-10 days. I think it's good to check in 10-20 days, 20-50 days multiple times. Let them know you're willing to help, listen or help them find a distraction.

Thursty

I’m sorry to hear of more loss suffered by members of our group.

A childhood friend of mine just recently lost his daughter who was in her late teens to suicide. She’d battled depression most of her short life. It’s heartbreaking to me to think of people battling such a severe mental health issue so early in life. It’s also heartbreaking to to know this young woman took her own life late at night in her room at home. The place she should have felt most loved, protected, safe, etc is the place she decided taking her own life was the only way to get relief. I guess all those reasons are why it did happen at home.

In supporting those who have experienced this loss; anniversaries of the death, holidays birthdays and other special occasions are very hard to get through. Taking time to remember those important days and reaching out to the the family will mean a lot.

Take time to check in on your friends whether you think they are struggling or not. Mental health struggles often rob you of the ability to ask for help on your own, usually because you don’t think you’re worth it. When some one replies to your “check-in” with a simple “I’m good” that can be a clue to reach out even more. That being said, if anyone here is struggling, you are worth getting help, your family is worth your getting help and I am here for anyone who needs it.