Mesh Networking

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I currently have a Linksys WRT 3200ACM wireless router. Its worked great for the last three years or so, but its struggling with range at my new place. Maybe I'm greedy, but I want solid WiFi in my garage and backyard. The current placement of the router isn't ideal because the fiber line comes into the basement and I don't really want to be fishing Cat6 through the walls to get it to a more advantageous location.

So, the solution is a mesh network in my opinion. I've been reading good things about the Eero 6 Pro and Orbi stuff, but I thought I'd ask what you, fellow nerds of RME, are using.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm full in on ubiquity stuff for the last 7 years. From the edgerouters/switches to the unifi network and protect cams. I've been very happy with their wifi/mesh equipment and performance.

They have a warehouse in Draper so shipping on most things in stock there show up next day in Utah for the most part, which was awesome.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I really wanted to do full mesh when I moved and the wifi sucked but I just went with xfinity pods and they work ok. Subscribed.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I use an edge router x or whatever the super basic ubiquity thing was. Also just one of the AP lites that is upstairs on the entryway ceiling. That is POE and the router has one POE port on it. I get great reception everywhere in the house, garage, and yard. I wondered if I'd need a second AP lite and wired for one in the basement but it hasn't been needed. I don't know how to do these though without pre-wiring or running cables for a retrofit.

RockChucker

I have an ORBI RBK50 with a single satellite. It covers my house (main and basement) and garage well. It seems to have pretty good coverage out to the street, but I haven't watched it that close in the backyard. I've had it for 3 1/2 years.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I just did a mesh setup for the same reasons you listed @Stephen . (TP Link) that somehow sends some signals through the home electric wiring. My house is long and has brick interior walls (as it's nearly 120 yrs old). 1 on the top level and 2 at either end Works well in the yard and garage. I used to switch back and forth from wifi calls to 5g and it ticked me off as I walked around in the detached garage. Now, no problems.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Also have an Orbi, one main unit and one satellite, house is fairly spread out. Have great coverage on all floors and most of the yard.