Metal Building Suggestions?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm sure many of you have built or bought metal buildings in the past. There are a million different companies out there that offer the pre-fab buildings of your choice. I'm really looking for a recommendation on which companies to avoid, features, you name it.

I'm planning on something in the 30' x 35' range, 2-3 10' garage doors, 16-18' walls and a 20-23' total height. Probably 1-2 mandoors and maybe some windors or skylights? Hoping to have my design finalized in early August so I'm ordering the building at that time for delivery? How long do I plan for delivery?

Other thoughts or considerations?

Any SL based recommended installers that can set the building for me?

Thanks!

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
MBCI ABC in North Salt lake is where I got my metal roof from, They may do complete buildings, I was happy with the price, time frame and customer service, But it has been almost 9 years since I used them last.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Try contacting sure steel, my brother used to work for them and still knows people that do, i'm not sure if they sell them or just put them together. but im sure they could steer you in the right direction

CJJ92yj

MBCI ABC in North Salt lake is where I got my metal roof from, They may do complete buildings, I was happy with the price, time frame and customer service, But it has been almost 9 years since I used them last.

I work right next door to them. Never knew they sold direct to the public.

Mug

PHORmerly
You can shortcut a lot of BS if you get multiple quotes from different companies and see if the others will meet or beat each other. When I was getting quotes last year, they all seemed to have an "over stock building they will let you have for some clearance price if you purchase by xx/xx/2009." They are all trying to make their sales quotas for the month, bless their souls...
You'll probably spend more on the footing/foundation drawings and concrete than you will on steel, so be ready. :)

neagtea

Supporting Member
I requested a quote from US Buildings and went another direction, They called twice a week for 6 months. Very hard to get off of the call list I even got ignorant with them a couple times.
Just my .02

rollover

I bought a A&M building (50 x 100) and had a local contractor build it for me a few years ago.

I would recommend a few things I did. Raise your footings up so they are 3 feet over your floor. That way you don't smash your metal if a car/truck hits a wall. That also lets you buy a shorter building package. If they tell you a 100,000 BTU furnace will do double it. When you open all your doors in February you'll be glad you did. Faster recovery time to have heat again.

If you would like to see mine PM me its in downtown SLC around the 900 south area.

What ever you do don't install skylights. They work short term but always leak. Talk to others who have had them for a few years and they all say thats there a leak waiting to happen.

You might try Zwick Construction for a quote.

JM2C

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Did you rule out a pole building? If so I am curious as to why. I had a hard time choosing between steel, pole and stick built.

I plan to do ~3' footing/retaining walls on the sides of the shop, which makes the pole constructions slightly harder. I also want a fully pitched roof and with the building code I'm looking at the wall specs need to be fairly beefy.