Middle Canyon - Butterfield Canyon Info...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Decided to take a different route home from the desert this weekend... it had been a couple of years since I had been up and over Middle Canyon or to the Copper Pit overlook. Couple of questions...

1. On the Middle Canyon side, there seem to be quite a few spurs that are seemingly open to travel. Do any of them go far or are they all dispersed camping sites? Old maps and GoogleEarth show a plethora of old roads up there... but its seems like most of the interesting ones (IMO) were blocked off as they likely lead north to Kennecott's property.

2. Right at the saddle (where the pavement starts on the SL County side and the road spurs north to the overlook), there were some trails heading south out of that parking lot. From up above at the overlook I could see them meandering a ways into the hillsides... do they continue to the radio towers? Without looking I'm going to make an educated guess that they are not legally open.

3. As you drive up to the overlook there are a handful of excavation sites that look as if work was recently done (last year I would guess). Homes? Drill sites? Survey points? Anyone know what they are all about? They don't appear to be mine relate... they look more like cabin/home sites to me?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Good questions, all.

1. Most of those are just spurs that lead nowhere. Any roads you may find lead to Kennecott property and are off-limits. :(

2. There is one trail that quickly turns into bike-sized singletrack, with a hellacious corkscrew in it. If memory serves it's the White Pine Trail. There appears to be another that heads sort of southeast, but I haven't been on that one. No vehicles.

3. I don't know about these new excavations. -_- Sounds like you've given me a great reason to check them out though. :D I need to recon the Anaconda headframe for a painting anyway, might as well do it from above. :D :D

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Decided to take a different route home from the desert this weekend... it had been a couple of years since I had been up and over Middle Canyon or to the Copper Pit overlook. Couple of questions...

1. On the Middle Canyon side, there seem to be quite a few spurs that are seemingly open to travel. Do any of them go far or are they all dispersed camping sites? Old maps and GoogleEarth show a plethora of old roads up there... but its seems like most of the interesting ones (IMO) were blocked off as they likely lead north to Kennecott's property.

All of the spurs peter out within a short distance. but can lead to some descent camping spots - I would say the longest spur is about 1.5 miles give or take before it becomes impassable to anything other than a bike. The only spur heading north that is any good also peters out before it ever comes to a gate or no trespassing sign :)

2. Right at the saddle (where the pavement starts on the SL County side and the road spurs north to the overlook), there were some trails heading south out of that parking lot. From up above at the overlook I could see them meandering a ways into the hillsides... do they continue to the radio towers? Without looking I'm going to make an educated guess that they are not legally open.

If the trail is on the east side of the saddle it peters out to more of an ATV trail, I don't know that it is technically open to travel as it is on Kennocott property. the road on the west side of the saddle peters out about 200-300 yards back to a decent hiking trail.

3. As you drive up to the overlook there are a handful of excavation sites that look as if work was recently done (last year I would guess). Homes? Drill sites? Survey points? Anyone know what they are all about? They don't appear to be mine relate... they look more like cabin/home sites to me?[/QUOTE]

If I am thinking of the same spots they are survey sites - KUC has been looking into either starting a new open pit near the overlook or underground mining in the last few years - then again they have also talked about some ski runs up there too ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for the info Scott :cool:

I had really forgotten how many road-side camping spots there were on the Tooele side, not a bad option for a quick night away from home.

There were likely 5-10 of the excavation sites, some just 100 years south of the overlook. I assumed KUC owned everything north of the road... its just a matter of time before the overlook is in the hole!

DOSS

Thanks for the info Scott :cool:

I had really forgotten how many road-side camping spots there were on the Tooele side, not a bad option for a quick night away from home.

There were likely 5-10 of the excavation sites, some just 100 years south of the overlook. I assumed KUC owned everything north of the road... its just a matter of time before the overlook is in the hole!

I know that there is a lot of opposition to them taking the overlook and that area into the pit ---

Taco - you type faster than me I was doing my reply and you and kurt both posted :rofl:

Caleb

Both of the roads on the saddle kind of fade into smaller trails rather quickly. The one on the southwest side ends up looping back around to the main road, down quite a ways...I used to ride this trail on my Mt. Bike. The one on the southeast side seems to keep going for a ways, but there is the cement barricade by the parking lot and then maybe 100 yards in there is a gate that's gotten pretty trashed over the years. I turned off about a half mile in on a small trail that headed up the hill side so I don't know how far it actually goes, but it wasn't getting much smaller than an ATV trail form what I could see.

hoxviii

Ford-natic
A couple of quick questions on this:

-Is this particular trail/ outlook accessible from the SLC side or do you have to come up from Tooele?

-Is this the same outlook that is accessible via 7800 S/48?

I'm wondering since I was planning on just going up to the one off of 7800, but if there's a better one (or at least a better drive), i'm all ears for it.

Justin

Caleb

A couple of quick questions on this:

-Is this particular trail/ outlook accessible from the SLC side or do you have to come up from Tooele?

-Is this the same outlook that is accessible via 7800 S/48?

I'm wondering since I was planning on just going up to the one off of 7800, but if there's a better one (or at least a better drive), i'm all ears for it.

Justin
Yes, it's available from the SL side. Head out on 7800 S. till you reach 8400 W. (Bacchus (sp?) Highway). Then head south till you reach the point in the road where it starts to turn east, hang a right. There is also a wild horse ranch sign or something like that as well. That's Butterfield Canyon. Head up that till you reach the point that it starts to head back down towards Tooelle, this is the area we are referring to as the saddle area. From there, the road that heads back up to the north will take you to the pit overlook. Most any vehicle can make it up to the very top, but I would suggest not taking a car you care about :D anything with a little more ground clearance will get up there just fine, it's just a dirt road with the occasional rut.

This isn't the same outlook that's up 7800 S.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I was up there a year or so ago while they were excavating some sites and the guy told me they were looking for oil.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was up there a year or so ago while they were excavating some sites and the guy told me they were looking for oil.

That guy was probably lying-- you don't drill for oil in the mountains like that LOL

Kurt-- the Anaconda headframe is a big cement deal, if you keep an eye out to the east as you're driving into Tooele, you can see it in a canyon, big concrete tower. Got filled in, in '83 by mud I guess. There is a big black slag pile from the old International smelter right there too.

Oh! If you don't have it you should get a book called... "The History of Mining and Smelting in Tooele County" or something like that... available at the Train Museum on Vine and Broadway, full of good stuff about mining here. Focuses mostly on Bauer and International by default, but it's a great resource. :D

DOSS

That guy was probably lying-- you don't drill for oil in the mountains like that LOL

Kurt-- the Anaconda headframe is a big cement deal, if you keep an eye out to the east as you're driving into Tooele, you can see it in a canyon, big concrete tower. Got filled in, in '83 by mud I guess. There is a big black slag pile from the old International smelter right there too.

Oh! If you don't have it you should get a book called... "The History of Mining and Smelting in Tooele County" or something like that... available at the Train Museum on Vine and Broadway, full of good stuff about mining here. Focuses mostly on Bauer and International by default, but it's a great resource. :D

Just remember the Train Museum is only open from 1 - 4 PM Tuesday - Saturday :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
... Oh! If you don't have it you should get a book called... "The History of Mining and Smelting in Tooele County" or something like that... available at the Train Museum on Vine and Broadway, full of good stuff about mining here. Focuses mostly on Bauer and International by default, but it's a great resource. :D

Have it... still need to read it though. I've browsed through it a time or two. Neat book!

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Yes, it's available from the SL side. Head out on 7800 S. till you reach 8400 W. (Bacchus (sp?) Highway). Then head south till you reach the point in the road where it starts to turn east, hang a right. There is also a wild horse ranch sign or something like that as well. That's Butterfield Canyon. Head up that till you reach the point that it starts to head back down towards Tooelle, this is the area we are referring to as the saddle area. From there, the road that heads back up to the north will take you to the pit overlook. Most any vehicle can make it up to the very top, but I would suggest not taking a car you care about :D anything with a little more ground clearance will get up there just fine, it's just a dirt road with the occasional rut.

This isn't the same outlook that's up 7800 S.

Thanks for the info!

Only clearance I'd be worried about is width as pre-'97 F-series have pretty decent ground clearance to tire size ratio in stock trim.

I'll work my way on up there, see what all it has to offer.

Justin

Caleb

Thanks for the info!

Only clearance I'd be worried about is width as pre-'97 F-series have pretty decent ground clearance to tire size ratio in stock trim.

I'll work my way on up there, see what all it has to offer.

Justin
Width won't be a problem. Most of the road is a double lane dirt road ;)

ZUKEYPR

Been to a few of the planning meetings for the development of the west side mountains being that it will eventually effect my property values. Anyway the ski resort is planned to go in immediately west of 4700 South. How in the world they will get enough snow to maintain one there is beyond me. The excavation sites "might" have something to do with the eventual 4 lane highway they will be putting through Butterfield Canyon.

If you want to take an awesome hike, when you're sitting in the saddle between Utah County and Tooele County, immediately to your south there is a trail that heads directly up the spur and eventually leads to Lowe Peak. Just don't leave anything what so ever of value in your vehicle because theifs come out by the dozen up there.

Camping in middle canyon is not the best idea. Drugs and crime is common up there. When I lived out in Tooele, I'd go camping on the Grantsville side of the valley, South Willow Canyon.

Caleb

Camping in middle canyon is not the best idea. Drugs and crime is common up there. When I lived out in Tooele, I'd go camping on the Grantsville side of the valley, South Willow Canyon.
Years ago we used to camp all the time up there...now Kennecot has pretty much the whole east side fenced off now. I used to love camping up there cause it was 15 mins away, within 30 mins you could be to your camp spot and be setup.

DOSS

Years ago we used to camp all the time up there...now Kennecot has pretty much the whole east side fenced off now. I used to love camping up there cause it was 15 mins away, within 30 mins you could be to your camp spot and be setup.

what are you talking about.. most of butterfield is fence off and no camping but middle canyon is still 90% open..

As for the drugs.. I would put $$ that there is more drugs in yellowstone and the high uintas than in middle canyon.. ya maybe a few drunks but you get that anywhere there is free camping :)

Caleb

what are you talking about.. most of butterfield is fence off and no camping but middle canyon is still 90% open..

As for the drugs.. I would put $$ that there is more drugs in yellowstone and the high uintas than in middle canyon.. ya maybe a few drunks but you get that anywhere there is free camping :)
Wouldn't the whole east side be considered Butterfield Canyon? :confused:...OK then ;) like I said, pretty much the whole EAST side is fenced off now. :)