Miller Hill Trail AF Canyon

Team1k

So i was explaining the location of the MEG trail to a friend when i noticed something that took me a bit to figure out. I looked at the map for AF canyon that the forest service gives you at the entrance and was trying to locate the Miller Hill trail. Thats when i noticed its shown in black. A quick glance at the legend and im still at a loss, theres no designation for what a black line means. I then went to the forest service site and downloaded another map(ill just call it the super detailed map) however that one doesnt even show the connector i usually take from mineral basin to this trail. It shows the entrance to Miller Hill starting near the entrance to MEG. Seems like last time i was up there though someone had placed boulders on that entrance to stop people going that way so i havent been back that route since. I finally looked back at the original map(and after i realized it was trail 195, not 238 for miller hill) and the trail listing shows trail 195 as ok for vehicles.

So i guess my questions are:

Does anyone know why the miller hill trail is shown in black?
Why do the forest service maps conflict on the entrance(super detailed map doesnt even show the entrance that starts near the mineral basin trail)?
Have those boulders i previously mentioned been moved?

Its also a little amusing that the connector road between the entrance to pole line pass and mineral basin is designated as street legal only. In fact there are multiple spots on these maps where right in the middle of a 4x4 section of trail it has a street legal only designation. What gives?

Capture.JPGPermitted use.JPGMiller Hill Black Line.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
I got on that trail a few years ago just exploring and it made a right turn (close to MEG) but about 50 yrds ahead the trail had slid down . There was no way to pass even with an ATV (very soft dirt) . Its a 50+ ft section that's gone.

It's in black because that part is on private property, not administered by the USFS, those are street legal only "in theory". The spiderweb of roads leading to the trail have moved and been closed over the years.

Yup, it's been washed out for quite a while, sometime in the 90's. The trail is harder now than it used to be.

So back in '98 or so we were on MH and one of the drivers missed the turn back out, and certain that she was following me, when she got to the washout, she drove across. She was fairly new to jeeping and had a stock TJ.

We met up later and she was sure surprised to see me. So was I. (I had waited, but sent others ahead and I think they caught up with her).

Team1k

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Ive been up that trail a few times but don't remember a washed out part. Where is that around? Up by the gravesite? EDIT* Just re-read mod-stocks post. Ill have to check it out. I don't recall that washout near the bend in the road there. Guess I got an excuse to putt back up there.

Last edited: