Mineral Basin is CLOSED!!!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Hey everyone,

A group of us ran up to Mineral Basin this morning to survey the damage.

There is a big ROAD CLOSED sign at the start of the trail, and it is for good reason. The bridge below the rock garden has been completely washed out and is impassible by staying on the trail. There have been a bunch of idiots going around the wash out and tearing things up pretty bad.

I will be in contact with the FS this week to get an update on plans to fix the damage, and what kind of volunteer work will be needed to help close the illegal bypasses.

Folks, this is not helping our battle up the canyon. If you are going up, please respect the signs, and stay on designated trails. The FS has trail maps at the toll shack, even if you've been up there before, I recommend getting one to help refresh your memory. Just because someone else has drove there, or it looks like a road, doesn't mean its ok to drive there too.

If you happen to see people driving off the trail in that area, remind them that they are the reason that our trails are being closed.

On a promising note, all our fences that were installed during the last NPLD event are still standing and in fairly good shape. But it was very frustrating to drive through the canyon and up Forest Lake and see all the new damage because people are not obeying the laws and staying on the trail.

Open Access is everyone's responsibility. It is not a right, but a privilege that we are quickly losing.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I will be in contact with the FS this week to get an update on plans to fix the damage, and what kind of volunteer work will be needed to help close the illegal bypasses.

even though i spend little to no time on this trail, id be willing to help with closing the bypasses.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Here are a few pictures:

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
didnt this spot wash out last year as well?

One of the spots is an identical washout as last year, the big one 50 yards west of it is new. There is some hope, just as with this year a bypass was immediately in use around the washout, the FS fixed the trail and by this spring you would have never known the bypass was in use.

DewYota

The road was fixed last night, i was telling my buddies it was washed out, im in the pictures bear took, i saw the damage, but the road is fixed i was driving along and was passing the turnout to the mine, and was confused myself. that was fixed quick, saw the turn off for mineral basin trail 007. Road closed sign was no longer there either so im assuming its open :)

jdub

Scrambler
Thanks, is this confirmed? This is the second yes I have received I just want to make sure we can proceed with everyone's permission.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have seen some threads on other forums of people going through the rock garden in stock vehicles last night, no way that they could have gotten past the washout and they wouldn't have tried to bypass it either.