Mineral Basin on 7/13

chans

I decided to head up to AF canyon on Wednesday since I have never been there during the week and I'm getting tired of going on the Weekends and getting covered in dust with all the motorcycles and ATVs that like to spray me as they fly by. The only people we saw were at the lower campgrounds and once we got past them we didn't see a single person all day until we headed back and got closer to Tibble Fork. It was only me and my brother with his family since it was Wednesday and didn't find anyone else with the day off. We decided to run Mineal Basin and not much changed except the Rock Garden and the boulder on top of the ledge that keeps getting washed out more and more. I didn't get many pictures on the way up but tried to take some on the way back. The only carnage was my front driveline getting beat up heading up through the Rock Garden because I picked a bad line and my hub not wanting to stay engaged and clicking and popping for the first half of the trail.
Here are the pics I did get.

IMAG0049.jpg

2011-07-1395130431.jpg

My nieces playing in the snow

2011-07-1395134515.jpg

The river is actually running under the snow field.

IMAG0053.jpg

Here is where we got stopped.

IMAG0052.jpg

Heading back through the Rock Garden.

IMAG0055.jpg

2011-07-1395145010.jpg

Here is the damage to the driveline. Mostly some chunks missing and it jacked up the boot.

IMAG0054-1.jpg

I found a shock boot works perfect to replace it and I had 4 that I didn't put on the shocks. So if anyone runs the same type of driveline it might be useful. I figured they put the boot on for a reason and didn't want to run it without since it looks like dirt can get up into the driveshaft if left off. Here is the picture of it all fixed and not leaking anymore grease.

IMAG0058.jpg

If anyone has a suggestion on the hub like if you can rebuild them that would be great. Otherwise I will have to check around for some extras.

Last edited:

chans

I can't tell from the pic.. Is the trail impassible?

You might have a broken birf

Not sure if it can be driven over but it was pretty tall and the ranger said not to go past where the snow was so we stayed off. Even if you can get past that spot there is a big snow field in the trees past it. I will have to check the Birfield. It didn't do it most of the time and it has Longfieild axles so I hope not. Thanks

Last edited:

chans

looks like you guys came up after us, we made those foot holes in that small snow bank to get over it.

We probably got to the trail head around 11:30. I kept falling through the snow so I didn't go much further on foot.

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
We probably got to the trail head around 11:30. I kept falling through the snow so I didn't go much further on foot.
weird maybe it wasnt ours, although we did make new holes on fresh snow:rofl: musta melted and filled em in. i went on the left side and had some problems with that big bolder in the middle. had to get tugged a little. my buddy tried the right side and it took allot of patience to get him right where he needed to be, imo, both sides of the rock are pretty tough.

chans

My brother took the right side and I think he got hung up on the rear diff a bit. I found another pic and the boulder under the truck is what the front diff hit on the way up. I had to crank it hard to the left to keep the diff of the rock. I tore apart the front axle and the Birfield is fine along with the hub gear and splines. I found some silicone in the grease from sealing the hubs previously and cleaned it all out and repacked them so hopefully it will fix it. If not I need to replace the springs in the hubs.

2011-07-1395145020.jpg

Last edited: