mineral basin, pittsburgh lake 8.2.12

sixstringsteve

With Granite Flatts ablaze, we headed up the canyon to meet at Tibble Fork. We saw the Low Range guys up there too, it was nice to run into them. Mesha, Omgbecki, myself, and Orvis Crawler headed up to the trailhead. On the way we noticed a firetruck filling up with water just above the bridge on trail 41, just north of Tibble Fork Reservoir.

Surprisingly, it wasn't very busy on a weeknight. There were tons of open campsites above the trailhead to Forest Lake. The trail was quite uneventful, everyone got to the top of the trail just as it was getting dark.

The fire ban had just been lifted 20 hours earlier, so we struck up a fire. The pie iron came out and we had hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches. About an hour or two later, we heard a big V8 coming our way. BillyLight showed up in his sweet wagoneer. He joined us at the fire and we went to bed for the night. It was a beautiful night with a full moon.

The next morning we hiked up around the snowbird lifts. We saw water seeping out of a rock, a group of horses, a doe, some primitive pipes made out of hollowed tree trunks, and evidence of a nearby mine. It was a beautiful day. After exploring a bit, we headed back down the trail. Mesha and Omgbecki had to head home, while Billy, Orviscrawler and his girlfriend (sorry, I forgot her name), and me and Fender started hiking up the Pittsburgh Lake trail. The trail was really loose, rocky, and dusty. There wasn't much shade and it got hot fast. The trail was very steep and rugged. So rugged in fact, that I wouldn't want to take my rig up it even if the trail were open to motorized vehicles. It'd be a blast on a dirt bike, but I digress...

We continued up the trail, fender barking at us to keep moving on. After what seemed like an eternity, but ended up being about an hour and 15 min in reality, we crossed some other hikers who told us we were close. 20 min later and we were at the lake. It is a stunning lake and it would be an incredible place to camp overnight (aside from the hike up to it). Billy, Fender and I decided to swim in the lake since it was such a hot day while Sean and his girl hung out in the shade. Billy swam across the lake and back while I chickened out and got cold enough to get out of the lake. We all realized that we hadn't eaten nearly enough calories for the hike, and we were staring to bonk. Thankfully, Billy was Mr. Prepared and had cliff bars and Samurai nuts for us. We snacked a bit then headed to check out the cabin on the north side of the lake. It was surprisingly in remarkable condition. After 10 min of checking out the cabin we decided to head back to the car and get home so we could eat some food and regain our energy. I think the trip down the trail was slower than the trip up. It was so loose and steep that it took at least an hour and a half to get down. We got down, headed to our cars and headed home. It was a great trip.

[Youtube]H66flcfX0IE[/YouTube]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H66flcfX0IE

Last edited:

4biker

Video looks great! Love the music and the GoPro toughness testimonial. Instead of a hike by a beautiful mountain lake I was riding a bike for six hours in 95 degree heat. Definitely wish I could have come with you guys up in the aspens.

bamacpl

That's where we was....we turned around at those orange signs....cool vid!! Those GoPro cameras are the shiz!!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Cool video, love the FSJ! Steve, are you sticking with IFS on the truck? And not to nitpick, but I thought there was a statewide ban in effect on ALL open fires right now, or am I mistaken?

Omgbecki

Awesome video Steve. I was hoping that I didn't run the gopro over, now I feel bad. I definitely want to get one though. Thanks for the invite.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
National Forest recently lifted their fire restrictions.

Well crap then, we checked their website before heading out on Friday to the Manti-Lasal NF and it said no open fires, so we decided we would be better off in the campground instead of dispersed camping like we usually do. Do you know if that is all forests or just certain areas?

Edit, found it here http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r4/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5384353, just our luck it was lifted hours after we checked.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Yes, the lake had fish. But we didn't end up going fishing since it was the middle of the afternoon. They stock the lake with brook trout every two years

scrogg

Enjoying the Drive
Enjoyed the vid. That lake looks awesome. And now that I know it has fish I'm sure to be able to talk a friend into the hike.