Mineral Basin Road CLOSED THIS SUMMER!!!!!!

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
September 19 2002
FOREST SERVICE AWARDS CONTRACT FOR ABANDONED MINE CLEAN UP
The Forest Service has awarded a contract for reclamation of 5 abandoned mine sites located in the North Fork of American Fork Canyon. Granite Construction Company of Utah was awarded the contract.
The contract provides for the removal of mining, milling, and smelter wastes containing high concentrations of heavy metals from the Pacific and Dutchman mine and mill sites, the Bay State and Wild Dutchman mines, and the Sultana Smelter. These areas have been closed to public use for several years with barriers and signs alerting Forest visitors of potential hazards associated with the sites.
The wastes will be deposited in a repository that will be constructed in the Dutchman Flat area. It will be about 3 acres in size and 20 feet wide. The waste deposits will be covered with a watertight liner and 30 inches of soil. All disturbed areas will be reshaped and seeded with plant species native to the area.
Implementation of the contract will occur during 2003. The Mineral Basin road will be temporary closed to provide for public safety during project implementation. The American Fork Snake Creek road will remain open for public use though recreationists and travelers should expect some delays.

RIP old mine tailings. It was fun while you were here.

EZ

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
OK I admit that I made the subject of this thread purposely threatening/disturbing. It seems like supporting land use efforts is the last thing many of help out with. I was purposely trying to get our collective attention on the matter.

Keep in mind that moving the tailing out was supposed to happen last summer but it obviously didn't. The following are my own observations and predictions:

1) The road to Dutchman Flats will be altered/made smoother than it has been for the last several years in order to get heavy equipment up there . This can be good or bad....more people will be able to get to DF's in their Honda's (bad) but I will probly be able to rip up there in 10 minutes after it is smoothed out. (good)

2) If heavy equipment is up there we may be able to bribe the operators to move some rocks around for us in the 'Garden.

3)The tailings piles, especially the Pacific Mine pile will be moved to this new location and buried as described. I doubt that the "former location of said pile" will be reopened to our use, i.e., it will be closed to drive on the site, and more than likely will be revegatated. (The presence of the pile was what made it fun to play on in in the first place.)

4) IF previously mentioned "piles" are being moved, that means that heavy equipment will be using the road, which means it will probly be closed to our use, which means closed from the Forest Lake turnoff to the end of the Pacific Mine. This means we won't be able to get up to Mineral Basin EVEN IF we come into the canyon from Midway or Little Deer Creek.

5) Heavy equipment means lots of digging. HE means lots of piles of dirt. HE means uprooted boulders. HE means making fun terrain to play on, if you get my drift.:)

EZ

Oh, and someone needs to call the P.G. office to see if this will happen this summer.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Interesting,,

I'm glad to hear that they are cleaning that Sheet up. If they have to close that area to clean, I think it's a good thing.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Sorry, I have been absent and missed this but I can tell you a little and will find out more today.
I went to the PG FS office last Friday and met the new Recreation Staff Officer (replacing John Brown who transferred) Larry Velarde. Ranger Scotty also transferred to Missouri and a new Ranger is yet to be named. We also lost Bob Easton to retirement.

There has been a real concern about the Greenies infiltrating the ranks (confirmed) and I was very worried about losing 3 key people that we have worked hard on building positive relationships with over the years.
I had a great meeting with Larry and he is pro access. Larry owns ATV's and has hunted in the area for years. He was recently in the Logan area. I still need to meet John Hendrix , the new Trails Manager who was out of the office.
I brought Larry up to date on our history in AF Canyon and other areas and he was very excited to hear about it. I feel very positive about picking up where we left off thanks in great part to many of you on this board.
I mentioned the Millville Canyon issue near Logan and he gave me the name and contact of his counterpart up there. He said that they could really use some help and would love to get some input on trails and access opportunities there. I said that we would love to help out.

We talked about access in general and I said that I wanted to find more fullsize 4x4 opportunities and that we are willing to work to make it happen. He wants to have another meeting with his staff and me and take a tour in June when they can get up there and take a look around.
Overall, a great first meeting. More to come-

Alan
U4WDA Land Use Czar

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by allterrain
Sorry, I have been absent and missed this but I can tell you a little and will find out more today.
I went to the PG FS office last Friday and met the new Recreation Staff Officer (replacing John Brown who transferred) Larry Velarde. Ranger Scotty also transferred to Missouri and a new Ranger is yet to be named. We also lost Bob Easton to retirement.

There has been a real concern about the Greenies infiltrating the ranks (confirmed) and I was very worried about losing 3 key people that we have worked hard on building positive relationships with over the years.
I had a great meeting with Larry and he is pro access. Larry owns ATV's and has hunted in the area for years. He was recently in the Logan area. I still need to meet John Hendrix , the new Trails Manager who was out of the office.
I brought Larry up to date on our history in AF Canyon and other areas and he was very excited to hear about it. I feel very positive about picking up where we left off thanks in great part to many of you on this board.
I mentioned the Millville Canyon issue near Logan and he gave me the name and contact of his counterpart up there. He said that they could really use some help and would love to get some input on trails and access opportunities there. I said that we would love to help out.

We talked about access in general and I said that I wanted to find more fullsize 4x4 opportunities and that we are willing to work to make it happen. He wants to have another meeting with his staff and me and take a tour in June when they can get up there and take a look around.
Overall, a great first meeting. More to come-

Alan
U4WDA Land Use Czar

Nice WORK!.......Keep us informed and we'll show when we need to.

Huraa for this guy! Let me know what I can do. Soon as i get back to Utah I plan on involving myself in some trail cleanup activities and stuff, I love that canyon and want to keep it open.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by crimsonride
... Let me know what I can do. ...
Honestly, one of the best things you can do is join the Utah Four Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA)... that way you are part of a bigger voice and plus you get invited to all the events...many of which proceed or maintain trails... :D

http://www.u4wda.org