Mitch's 97 TJ 5.3/4L80E/Atlas/60s

Mitch
Layton, UT
USAF

I have a build thread on Pirate 4x4 for my 97 TJ, but thought I would keep up some of my updates on RME. Future upgrades will be a T70 turbo and water to air intercooler. Should be around 550HP with the 5.3 and a60lb injectors. LS1 Tech has great threads.

As for this thread I will be putting all the info I gathered from other forums and resources to build this TJ.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916570&highlight=

Current set up I am running---

-97 TJ 4cyl Tub
-Genright panels
-Genright 05' fuel tank
-Warn RC main winch and Harbor freight 3K suck down frt/rear winches
-Ford Super Duty Unit Bearing 6 lug Dana 60 HP homemade front and rear
-FOA 16" coilovers/ bumps all four corners
-FOX remote res shocks all four corners
-LSX 5.3 with Howell computer and wiring
-4L80E transmission 2002
-Atlas 2 spd 5:1
-Tom Woods frt 2 piece 1350 driveshaft and rear 1350 CV
-Art Carr Shifter
-37x12.50x17 MTR Kevlar
-Wilwood dynalite calipers and 13.5" rotors all four corners
-Griffen 36"x 18" radiator with duall Ford Cougar fans
-dual trans coolers, one with sensor fan
-Race trim seats
-5 point harnesses
-Custom rollcage and frame made by I
-Dual 480C VIAR compressors and 2 gallon tank
-ARB compressor and lockers frt/rear
-Lowes hammerite black paint

delta095.jpg

delta002.jpg

SPanish010.jpg

IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

IMAG0808.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

Last edited:

Venture13

Got the Turbo, time for placement and manifold ideas. Water to air intercooler and additional plumbing. Going to purchase HP Tuners, definately something to use for many other applications. Get all the parts together and then install, should take a weekend at the most. Nice having the driveline that can handle the power.

IMAG0006.jpg

Venture13

Got a hold of FOA, which is good because it can be hard over the phone. Spoke with a guy named Mike about my remote reservoirs blowing up on the track and leaving me a limping around the track. He promptly responded with a four new reservoirs and pistons plus shims being shipped out. Rather impressed with the service on this problem.

Here are some older build pics.

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Love it! That's a ton of work, I can only imagine how many hours you have into the build. And it's impressive that you've done all the work yourself. The Jeep looks great, Congrats!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Love this TJ. I wish we both would have stayed in one piece for the rock cross. It would have been fun to go against you down there. We need to hook up again, I'd like to chat about the LS install...

Venture13

No prob, I am actually getting more into the tuning part of the swap. Looking at the HPtuners for software changes and fuel mapping for the Turbo upgarde I am slowly working on. Seems like there is never enough power..

I think I got like 700 hours of labor in the build so far.

Venture13

Had my FOA shock blow out rather badly. Minor problems FOA had with this batch of coilovers. The valving is faulty with bad machined ports, so that meant the shims would get sucked into the porting of the valve and plug passages. Called FOA and I got a box full of parts to fix in a few days, even included oil.

Carl Neilson of Team Fred or United is actually prepping the shocks and revalving for me. Carl has extensive experiencing rebuilding these shocks from bypass to remote res setups. If you need any revalving or shock work done he is the local guy to go to. I think his racing background and experience adjusting/dialing in has shown.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

Venture13

New front brake setup, using 13.5" rotors and easy to find calipers. Little R&D 6 lug unit bearing setup.. Mounted the new warranteed 2"x8" stroke TG ram. They were awesome backing up their product, had a new ram within a day. Orbital valve took a little work to mount and realign the steering shaft, machined a new lower shaft on the lathe and welded in some new steering u-joint assemblies. Machined some spacers for the double shear at the steering arms. Cleaned up all shock locations and welded up the frame where the old nitro bumps used to be. New ADS all in one 2.5 airshock/4 tube bypass/internal hydro-nitro bumps should be here in a week or two, beyond custom for sure.. One shock that does it all, no more clanking and tapping noises of the
coilovers/bumps/remote res shocks.

Picture of my New shocks, well this pic is of my buddy as Crossed Up Offroad which has raced this setup for a few seasons.. Ultra 4

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Last edited:

RockChucker

you were able to get some calipers that worked then? that's good. i'm going to need some info from you in a few months about all your unit bearing findings. i decided i'm going with ford unit bearings when i build my front 60.

-Dave

Greg

Admin
I'd like more info about the air shock - bypass - air bumps!!! How well do they work for your friend and where can you get them? Sounds like a great alternative, if it works nearly as well as all the individual parts.

The rest of the build looks great, I can't imagine how much time you have into it. Well done!

Venture13

you were able to get some calipers that worked then? that's good. i'm going to need some info from you in a few months about all your unit bearing findings. i decided i'm going with ford unit bearings when i build my front 60.

When your ready, let me know. You can actually setup these unit bearing axles nicely and cheaper than you think.

Venture13

I'd like more info about the air shock - bypass - air bumps!!! How well do they work for your friend and where can you get them? Sounds like a great alternative, if it works nearly as well as all the individual parts.

My close buddy I use to work for, Mike Klensin of Crossed Up Offroad has been using these shocks for over a year. He swears by them and has been running through the ultra 4 series with no problems. Less moving parts and highly tuneable. TRUXXX sells these shocks currently and puts their names on them, however ADS machine actually makes them. ADS makes shocks at the FOX quality level and are in Tucson,AZ. So ADS had others sell their shocks like Ballistic. ADS does not want to sell shocks, they rather have other people use their names and retail them. So, recently TRUXXX is doing some major changes and ADS will be doing the shock sales themselves. So when I get the shocks they should be some of the first full in house ADS shocks.

ADS will be the new brand out there, it has been for a long time. They have many trophy trucks running their setups.

Keep ya posted with shock tech laters..

Venture13

Ok, the ADS shocks have arrived.. Sort of upset they took like 7 weeks to get, but the holidays and ya whatever..

Quality, very nice.. Compact size, nice package... More to come, just got in the mail today... YAY.. Gotta get my but in gear and ready for KOH support crew adventures..

The shocks are quad bypass, internal bumps, 2.5 bore.. All rebound and adjustmens from bypass tubes.. Sweet..

Need to finish my custom smoker first.. ha ha

IMAG0384-1.jpg

IMAG0383-1.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Greg

Admin
The shocks look badass! Keep us posted as time goes by and you get some real experience with them!

Nice smoker too, I need to build one!