Moab area update

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I just got back from a quick trip to Moab. I was able to get out to the backside of Hell's Revenge for a short time. There have been a lot of changes to the area. All of the spur roads in the lower sandflats area are in the process of being blocked off. From what it looked like to me everything except the two main roads through the area have been or will be blocked off by EJS. In my opinion this is ultimately a good thing. Anyone who has seen the area during & immediately after EJS will understand exactly what I mean.

There will be no camping or OHV use in the area any longer. This will push 2-3 thousand people elsewhere this year & likely make legal camping areas very crowded & difficult to find. So for those going to EJS you really need to have plans for where you will be staying.

Be aware that there is likely going to be much more strict enforcement of the rules this year. I've heard that most of the approved routes have been more clearly marked & that the management & law enforcement agencies are going to be much more active than in the last few years. But I've heard that for several years now, the difference is this time there is a lot of preparation going on so it looks like they're going to finally get really serious about enforcement.

XJEEPER

Just got back from our NAXJA run and I'm happy to report that Hell's Gate is open........for now. I even went to the effort of contacting Grand Co Sheriff's Dept prior to running it to get an official ruling. They stated that it is open until further notice, but the area is under review.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Jeromy

XJEEPER said:
Just got back from our NAXJA run and I'm happy to report that Hell's Gate is open........for now. I even went to the effort of contacting Grand Co Sheriff's Dept prior to running it to get an official ruling. They stated that it is open until further notice, but the area is under review.

Anyone have any more info on this?

When we went through their Sunday hells gate was signed as closed. But escalator was open.... cool if they reopened it. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Jeromy said:
When we went through their Sunday hells gate was signed as closed. But escalator was open.... cool if they reopened it. :)

I heard they had to re-open it, because they illegally closed it! Good for them!! :rofl:

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The Grand Co. Sheriff reopened them because he said the workers of Sand Flats Rec. Area did not have to power to make that decision to close them. However they might be closed again depending on the decisions made by the BLM & Grand County in official meetings on the subject. Grand County is starting to support certian closures such as the lower Sand Flats spur roads near the Lion's Back Campground. They also didn't hesitate to close Potato Salad Hill a couple of times when it was getting out of hand there. Over all the problems were mabout the same as in the recent past, just some of them were moved away from lower Sand Flats.