Moab BEFORE Easter

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
So I am getting a group of friends together to hit Moab the week before Easter Safari (not a fan of the crowds or parties, and will be kid friendly trip). This will be a group of less experienced wheelers with only lightly modified rigs. Myself I have ridden a few trails in Moab, but not nearly as many as I would like. We plan to spend 3 days in Moab and then take the Kokopelli trail out of Moab for a couple days then cut over to arches.

I would like to get some feedback on which trails to run.

I have narrowed it down to: Poison Spider, Tip Toe Behind the rocks, Kanes Creek, Steel Bender, Backwards Bill.

We plan on driving down to run Elephant Hill the first day and see the newspaper rock on the way back. So that leaves room for 2 trail days. Most of the people with me will be somewhat on the beginner side so I plan on only one trail a day.

I have never run TTBTR, Steel Bender or Backwards Bill so I really not sure what to expect on those trails.

Some feedback would be appreciated, whats your favorites?

morg59

I would strongly suggest Fins and Things as a warm up trail for the beginners in your group. Then after that Poison Spider is pretty fun.

6.2Diesel

I'd hit the visitor center and pick up an offroad trail book, it will give you excellent info on every popular trail, rating, length, and pretty much mile by mile directions. Also right now pretty much every shop has a free jeep safari magazine that also will give you some insight on trails.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Steel bender is a great trail, got some challenging parts that can be bypassed if needed.
Tip-Toe behind the rocks is probably the most challenging trail you have listed. The trail is hard to follow at times.
Backwards bill is basically a section of 7 mile rim, I've always taken a left instead of a right after wipeout hill so I haven't ever ran it the way it should. Hoping to run this one this weekend.
I didn't think Kane Creek was that hard to stay on trail, you got to watch out for this one if there is rain.

You can pull the GPX files from http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ if you need them, it also has maps and pictures if you need them.

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
Thanks Guys I actually picked up the older version of Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails for a couple bucks used.

We are actually doing Fins and Things on Monday. I have run Kanes Creek before, but it has been several years, and the year we did it, it started to rain so we turned around and did not finish the trail.

So we decided on Fins and Things, and Elephant Hill for sure, and we are still debating for our other trail run between, Gold Bar Rim, Tip Toe, Backwards Bill, Porcupine and Kanes. I think based on feedback we will save Tip Toe and Backwards for another trip when some in the group have a little more experience. Everyone in the group is running 32's or larger but my wife and a couple others it will be their first trip driving. I did briefly consider Poinsin Spider, but we ran that one a few years ago and I want to explore new trails.