Moab Bronco Safari 09

EB101

We had something like 70 Broncos show up for the Bronco Safari. What a great event! It was awesome because there was enough rigs to run in good size groups multiple trails/difficulties every day.

Enjoy some of the pictures.

Behind the Rocks:
High Dive and Up Chuck
DownHighDive.jpg

UpHighDive-1.jpg

UpChuck.jpg

DustyonHighDive.jpg

Here's where my TCase tail shaft blew
uphighdive.jpg

Green Day in Area BFE
TonyGreenDay1.jpg

TonyGreenDay.jpg

GreenDaytip1.jpg

GreenDaytip2.jpg

EB101

SuicideHill1.jpg

SuicideHill-1.jpg

StartofMetalMasher.jpg

Rubicon.jpg

Rockerknocker.jpg

RockChucker.jpg

Brad tried launching over Rock Pile.. It was awesome to watch but an output shaft and a 35 spline moly axle were not up to the task.
RockPile.jpg

A few minutes later this endo happened.
RockPileEndo.jpg

Pritchett.jpg

Pritchett2.jpg

Last edited:

EB101

The summit at Pritchett
PritchettSummit.jpg

Ah, the Pritchett Sign
Pritchittsign.jpg

The last night a few of us did a night run on Hell's Revenge.
After we dropped down Tip Over Challenge we turned toward the Escalator and here's what we found. It was spooky, like seeing a ghost.
P1000821-1.jpg

After all was said and done I took my wife to Fins and Things, It's a good thing we didn't do it first, she would never have given back the keys.
P1000824.jpg

More pictures and video clips from the trip are posted in the Forums at SextonOffroad.com
More Bronco Safari 09

FYI Bronco Safari 2010 is May 1-9

Last edited:

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
For all of you that missed it, you miss a great trip. I will try and recap now and then add in some pictures later.

Laura and I rolled out of Kamas at about 730 pm on Tuesday night. After putting a full day at the shop we still had a couple deliveries to make. We met Carl at Joe's diesel in SLC and we headed on down the road. Carl had to make a stop from his trip down through the wet lands. He couldn't see because there was six inches thick of bugs covering the front of the truck and camper. We stopped just short of the Moab airport and slept from 0200 until 0600.

We got up and headed into town. We met up with Steve St Clair and a few other guys and shortly we were on our way to Behind the rocks. Behind the Rocks treated everyone well over the first few obstacles until we got to High Dive Canyon. Everyone got down it ok, you can fall down anything, but a Dana 20 Output Shaft gave way on a Bronco and we had to get him back to town. Carl and I set up camp at the BTR Trail head.

tn_DSCF0047.JPG

The next morning we rolled into town for some fuel and met up with some more guys from the club. Tony Branca joined us for the run up Green Day at BFE. We headed out late that morning and wanted to return for the raffle, so we chose not to run Minor Threat as part of Green Day like usual. We did conquer most of the major obstacles. I pulled up on one and didn't wait for a spotter, of course I gently set the buggy down on her side. The guys pushed it back on its wheels and away we went again until a different Bronco Dana 20 output shaft snapped. A front axle snapped as well. We ended up finishing around 1630 and left both buggys at our BFE camp site. I trailered one rig back to camp for repairs. The show and shine was still going on so we headed over there to check out the perty rigs.

tn_DSCF0062.JPG

Well some were pretty and I kinda felt bad for not bringing mine down. With lots of help from every one we set up the Raffle and our Sexton Offroad booth for the night. Every one had a great time with great food and the Big winner was John who won every Speed hut Gauge and a Wire harness. The next morning was the UBC Sponsored run so we all headed for bed.

tn_DSCF0069.JPG

tn_DSCF0107.JPG

tn_DSCF0172.JPG

We started off at nine with everyone lined up ready to run. We headed up the 313 road to the top of Metal Masher and Unloaded. We started with 16 rigs, mostly Broncos. Before we came to the first major obstacle all five lug nuts sheered off on one wheel and we had a trail repair to do. This delayed us for about an hour but shortly we were on the way with the offending Bronco headed back to town to get ready for tommorrow. We reached the first obstacle and I put the tires off center, got the front end up, straightened out, rolled forward a bit, Rapped the Throttle and up she went. Carl did the same. A couple others wisely chose the bypass but a very capable Jeep did not. The Jeep lined up and gave it a three attempts. On the Third try it snapped a Dana 20 Output shaft (are you seeing a trend). We repaired that as best we could and he headed back to town. The rest of us moved on to Rock Chucker for lunch. I pulled up to Rock Chucker and spotted everyone that wished to try it up to the top. After lunch we headed up Mirror Gulch which is a fun little obstacle for everybody (no Bypass on this one). We hit the Top overlook and all the Bronco's posed for a Calender photo. We soon rolled out and on the way down stopped at Billy Bob. Nobody had any problems on Billy Bob, so we headed for Widow maker.

tn_DSCF0197.JPG

The group that didn't want to climb Widow Maker took the by pass and the rest of us headed to the bottom. We made our attempts on Widow Maker and had a couple of really close calls for Roll overs and one Busted Dana 44 Stub shaft. A few Made it up with no problem and a few needed the strap. We all made it up and headed to Mother in-law for some play time. After a few minutes at mother in-law we headed for the trailers and returned to Camp.

Carl and I Camped at the bottom of Prittchet that night and were finishing up breakfast when the group rolled in with Swasey leading the trail for the day. Prichett went very well with out a hitch. Every one wheeled hard with Bronco Bob using his 31" spare tires to climb the obstacles. Richard Fischer had a minor scare on the obstacle called Chewy. He almost rolled over and needed a strap. Everyone was in a groove by the time we got to Rock Pile. Mike Swasey made it first, followed by a couple of attempts that didn't go so well. One attempt ended with some wheel in the air action and yet another Broken Output shaft. Carl and I were the only other rigs that made Rock Pile with out a strap. I took Peggy up Rock Pile as a passenger. I don't know if her screams were enjoyment or fear?

tn_DSCF0607.JPG

tn_DSCF0637.JPG

tn_DSCF0673.JPG

tn_DSCF0725.JPG

We made the top of Yellow hill around 1500 and Carl and I turned around and headed back down Prichett while the rest of the group took the other route out. Carl and I made it back to the trailers before the others could make the trek around through Moab. The group hung out at our trailers for a couple hours until it was decidedly time for a night run up Hells Revenge. We traveled over to the end of HR and ate Dinner. After dark we all loaded up and went the back way into HR. We went down Tip Over challenge in the dark and came upon a Rented JK flipped over on its lid at the Escalator. It was a bit creepy all by itself and blocked the obstacle so we headed for the hot tubs. After a quick trip to the Hot tubs on top we turned around and headed back to camp.

It was a great trip and I hope to do more soon. Thanks for everyone that participated

B-RAD

Nice trip report! Steve thanks for the ride to my truck. Dusty thanks for all the help. It was a pleasure to wheel with you guys. Dusty I'll give you a call next week Thanks again

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
It's obvious why this happened...he wasn't driving a Bronco! (says a jeep guy):p I hear Jason walked away from this without a scratch! What a flop!

sweet pics!! looks like you guys got some great wheelin in. (jealous)
where did this guy flop his rig at? looks like he hit pretty hard. (ouch!)

barnsbronco

We were also down at the Bronco safari it was a good time. First day I let the wife drive Fin's and things.
broncosafari2009006.jpg

The full width swap seemed to be working pretty good so the next day we ran Metal masher with a group of broncos that were mostly from Socal.
broncosafari2009007.jpg

By Friday the rest of my crew had shown up so we ran Hells revenge. Sliver from this forum and Ben both tried the Escalator for their first time. Both got a little body damage but nothing to serious.
broncosafari2009018.jpg

broncosafari2009023.jpg

broncosafari2009069.jpg

broncosafari2009070.jpg

The next day we ran Rusty Nail. I had set my pinion angle a little to steep so i got to change a couple of U-joints.
broncosafari2009078-1.jpg

broncosafari2009080.jpg

broncosafari2009098.jpg

broncosafari2009091.jpg

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Thanks for posting those pic's Barns. When I get a sec I'll add some of mine. That is if the Bronco guys don't mind a Toyota guy posting. Ha Ha

))--SLIVER-->

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
My pics

Here are some of the better pic's that I got.
Sorry if they are scattered. I'm too lazy to post them in chronological order.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• MOAB5.jpg
    MOAB5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 8
  • MOAB6.jpg
    MOAB6.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • MOAB7.jpg
    MOAB7.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 8
  • MOAB8.jpg