Moab Feb 15-16

193kyle

Well, the wife and I decided to make a quick trip to Moab last weekend for a little exploring. We left Lehi about 7:30 Saturday morning headed for the Floy exit to check out Ruby Ranch road. Less than a mile off the highway we saw a small herd of Antelope, but they ran off as soon as we got close enough to get a decent pic. The road was in good condition so we were able to cover ground quickly, other than a few mud/stream crossings(the mud out there is nasty and sticky and dries like concrete....). From there we got onto Blue Hills Road on our way to Hidden Canyon Overlook trail. Hidden Canyon has some great views but the trail is really hard to follow, so a couple miles later we ended up on the 3d trail, which was alot of fun. We drove the rest of 3d out to Dubinky Wells road and then looped back to Bartlett Wash-Hidden Canyon-Tusher Tunnel. Then we ended up on Mill Canyon Road back out to Highway 191. It was only around 3:00 at this point so we headed over towards Dead Horse and took Long Canyon down to Hwy 279. Long Canyon is a short and easy trail but has some amazing views, I highly recommend it! Then we headed into town and went up to Sand Flats to scout out some camping spots, unfortunately our favorite spot was taken but there were few people up there so there were plenty others to choose from. We did the first loop of Fins and Things and then headed back to town for some dinner at the Moab Brewery.

Anyway here's some pictures from day 1
DSCN3800.jpg6.jpg8.jpgDSCN3822.jpgDSCN3814.jpgDSCN3831.jpg3.jpgDSCN3801.jpg2.jpgDSCN3847.jpg

193kyle

On Sunday we woke up early and had some delicious pancakes for breakfast and hit the road to go to Arches NP. We stopped at the visitors center to ask about trail conditions in the park, they informed us the everything was open and dry, so we took off towards Eye of the Whale Arch and Tower Arch. This was one of the funnest roads I've driven in awhile, very sandy and smooth with a little slickrock thrown in for fun!
We stopped at eye of the whale and snapped a quick pic and continued on to tower arch. When we got there, we had the whole place to ourselves, it was great! We hiked around for a little while, took some pics and then headed toward devils garden. From there we made the quick hike to Landscape Arch, way too many people for me....after that we aired up the tires, ate a quick lunch and hit the highway back home. It was a quick trip but we covered quite a bit of ground and checked out some places we had never been. I'd call it a success! Sorry my pictures and report aren't as good as Steves or DAA's but hopefully it was worth reading....

Pics from Day 2
14.jpgDSCN3875.jpg15.jpgDSCN3878.jpgDSCN3881.jpg24.jpg25.jpgDSCN3914.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I guess a few of us took advantage of the weekend weather. Looks like a great trip. I'll have to try your moab entry route. Looks like way better scenery than 191.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk