Moab heads up

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's flawed logic if I ever saw it.

It's legal for CA to require all kinds of smog eqpt. Should I welcome a ticket if I drive my vehicle to CA without it?

We're not talking about speeding. That's obviously something visiting drivers are bound to. The complaint is about equipment violations that may be perfectly legal in other states. Damn if I can find it but for some reason a "Title 18" exemption having to do w/interstate commerce ? is coming to mind to exempt everyone from having to follow the same equipment standards???

Tickteting OOS drivers for that kind of thing is a blatant money grab, since as it was said: few people are going to drive back to fight it.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
That's flawed logic if I ever saw it.

It's legal for CA to require all kinds of smog eqpt. Should I welcome a ticket if I drive my vehicle to CA without it?

We're not talking about speeding. That's obviously something visiting drivers are bound to. The complaint is about equipment violations that may be perfectly legal in other states. Damn if I can find it but for some reason a "Title 18" exemption having to do w/interstate commerce ? is coming to mind to exempt everyone from having to follow the same equipment standards???

Tickteting OOS drivers for that kind of thing is a blatant money grab, since as it was said: few people are going to drive back to fight it.

Show me a link,

Here's the link for where it says in the Utah state law that all vehicles operated in Utah are subject to Utah law.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04166.htm

Pay close attention to these highlights!

(1)(a) A person may not operate or move and an owner may not cause or knowingly permit to be operated or moved on a highway a vehicle or combination of vehicles which:

Notice how it includes every vehicle on a highway, also don't get hung up on the word "highway" read the definition found here 41-6a-102(20) and you will see your residentail street & Interstates are highways.

(4) Except as specifically made applicable, the provisions of this chapter and rules of the department with respect to equipment required on vehicles do not apply to:

The state did take time to except certain vehicles from the motor vehicle section in 41-6a-1601(4)(a-i). Funny how they didn't include "vehicles registered in other states, countries, etc..." but did take the time to exclude 8 other types of vehicles.

Furthermore, the "department" used in section means The Department of Public Safety, see 41-6a-102(10). DPS, the regulating authority of the Safety Inspection Program, can make rules above that of the state code.(ex. show me where having a cracked windshield greater than 1'' in the acute area is illegal in the Utah State Code, you can't. It's "unsafe equipment" because DPS has made it that way through the Safety Inspection Program. You can download the manual here for passenger car & light trucks. http://safetyinspections.utah.gov/)

Bart

If you think the laws are bad now, you should have seen them (at least the lift laws) before the last revision. U4WDA played a key role in modifying the old laws to what they are. Without that lobbying and input almost any lifted rig would have been illegal.

Yes, they are exploiting Moab at EJS. There is a lot of pressure from Environmental groups to clamp down and this is one way to get our attention. Unfortunately it gives us a black eye at a time when they really ought to be a little more lax because of all the revenue streaming into town.

On the other hand, there are some rigs running around town that shouldn't be. They aren't even legal in the states where they are registered, and some aren't registered at all. Utah covers itself by the way the law is written from having to know and/or interpret every law from every state. How could they possibly enforce it any other way?

BTW, on the California emmisions thing, if you stay in Cali for any length of time you're supposed to meet their code. I believe they can ticket any car for not meeting their air quality standards.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Wow, Herzog on the warpath. You don't see that every day!

I agree wholeheartedly. What I object to is the money-hungry mentality of "crackdowns". It bothers me. It's absolute BS to wait until EJS to start STRICTLY enforcing the law. Sure does keep us all safe though. Pfft.

:D

I was in a bad mood yesterday. Sitting around too long in Moab without being on a trail. :ugh:

:D

stewmoney

i think all you guys with your "street legal" are just jellous you cant go where i go. you cant roll with the big guys. and i but your all cops as well. why dont you get off your little stand and chill out. its not a saftey problem i bet my jeep drives better than anyone of your jeeps. you all must just be uptight tree huggers.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If you think the laws are bad now, you should have seen them (at least the lift laws) before the last revision. U4WDA played a key role in modifying the old laws to what they are. Without that lobbying and input almost any lifted rig would have been illegal.

QUOTE]

I would personally take the old days. I never had a hastle getting my jeep inspected and never ever had an issue with the highway patrol even when pulled over for speeding. Yes, technichly you can lift it higher but enforcement of everything else is so anal it is worse, at least in my case.

Bart

I would personally take the old days. I never had a hastle getting my jeep inspected and never ever had an issue with the highway patrol even when pulled over for speeding. Yes, technichly you can lift it higher but enforcement of everything else is so anal it is worse, at least in my case.

Like lots of old rules of the road, i.e. drinking and driving, littering, underage driving, the laws were changing anyway. They would have changed with or without input from the offroad community. Luckily U4 stepped in made them much better than they would have been.

Bart

i think all you guys with your "street legal" are just jellous you cant go where i go. you cant roll with the big guys. and i but your all cops as well. why dont you get off your little stand and chill out. its not a saftey problem i bet my jeep drives better than anyone of your jeeps. you all must just be uptight tree huggers.

I'm trying to read this but all I see is blah blah, blah blah blah....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

We're "jellous"? Right. who are you again lol?

One day maybe I'll have a chance to wheel with the big boys like you. Man would that be hardcore. :rofl:

I love dumb people.

Nate R

It's derby season!

:rolleyes: I have thought about your statement. Your correct sir, my rig won't go where yours will, but my tow rig on the other hand just might. It comes with all the hardcore rock crawler type stuff you speak of, you know the Dana 60 (but it does have ball joints) Dana 70 rear. And another :rolleyes: for good measure.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm jealous of your grammar.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

I bet my Dad can beat up your Dad!:rofl: I bet he can spell better too!:D

Steve

Who Cares?
The State of Utah has laws if you want to travel on the road here then you have to fallow the laws here.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Since I live relatively close, and have the resources to hire a good lawyer, I really hope I get a UT ticket for my Colorado-licensed and Colorado-legal vehicle while in Moab. I will have a fun time making them look like idiots as I WILL show up in court loaded for bear.

There is definatly a larger LEO force here this year compared to the last two.

I agree, I've noticed much more over last year. I saw Teraflex selling "quick disconnect" mud flaps at a quick pace.

...dragging thread (kicking and screaming) back on topic.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Since I live relatively close, and have the resources to hire a good lawyer, I really hope I get a UT ticket for my Colorado-licensed and Colorado-legal vehicle while in Moab. I will have a fun time making them look like idiots as I WILL show up in court loaded for bear.

Show me a link to prove I'm Wrong, wrong, wrong.

If you can get me a link that says you can come in from out of state and, break Utah laws then I'll believe you.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Show me a link to prove I'm Wrong, wrong, wrong.

If you can get me a link that says you can come in from out of state and, break Utah laws then I'll believe you.

:spork: So let's just say something like Illinois requires contoured mud flaps and Arkansas requires vertical mud flaps on Semi truck/trailers who's right then?

Bibb v. Navajo Freight Lines Inc.
http://www.oyez.org/cases/1950-1959/1958/1958_94/

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Most states will honor " your home state laws" (Usually). ;)
It sounds like there making an example of EJS 07.
The laws the law.:-\
Examples of CMV's Don't work because those are fedral laws.

Just my 2Cents cause my lamb ass is home and not in Moab. (YET):p

OHH YEA! Where's the PICS? Iv'e been waiting all week. :freak: :freak:

Last edited: