Moab Mines

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've come across one in Bull Canyon. Before you reach the dead end under Gemini Bridges, there is a spur to the left. The mine is up there on the left side.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you can find Jerry Curl, he's got some mines. But bring hay, he's got llamas too.

what's the penalty for transporting a dead guy in a stolen car, anyway? :rofl:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I stand corrected, you're right. I may have been distracted by.. well, pretty much any of the other things that were happening then hahahahha

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
IMG_20110606_103247.jpg
There are some 20,000 abandoned Mines in Utah. If you go looking for mines in the Moab area be aware they were mainly Vanadium and Uranium mines (large amounts of Radon). That said if you feel adventurous there are quite a few mines south of Moab if you turn off 191 and head East on Steen Road. Take it all the way till you come up on the Big Indian Valley overlook. From there just spend some time exploring and you can find any type of adventure you can imagine. Most the mines are over the lip at about 150-300 feet down from the edge. There were roads at one point and I could take the Jeep on some of them till I encountered rock slides.
As for fairly safe mines, there is the one on the edge of the plateau just before you reach the fork in the road to go to either Chicken Corners or Kane Creek. It is up the mountain on the East side. You can park and walk past the gate to see some pretty interesting features. There is quite a bit of air moving in that mine.
Just a reminder tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back. It helps.

Last edited: