Moab Newb Question

Jobless

Going to be down for a week and need to know where we can pick up a trail map (no, we don't have a GPS) on Sunday the 28th of May?

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I'd also rcommend the Moab North and South maps, they're made by National Geographic and are waterproof and tear resistant. They are $10 each, but are awesome. They have all the Jeep Safari trails marked on them, as well as other cool stuff.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Where do you buy the Moab maps? How detailed are they as far as trail routes? We might be doing some new trails this weekend and I have the Charles Wells book, but his GPS waypoints don't match up too well with Google Earth and the National Geographic topo software I have.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
DevinB said:
... but his GPS waypoints don't match up too well with Google Earth and the National Geographic topo software I have.

Really are you using the correct datum & projection? (NAD 17, NAD 83, WGS 84). You have to make sure your GPS, your computer, and your book are all referencing the same datum. I had that problem too before EZ Rhino set me straight.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
Really are you using the correct datum & projection? (NAD 17, NAD 83, WGS 84). You have to make sure your GPS, your computer, and your book are all referencing the same datum. I had that problem too before EZ Rhino set me straight.

Mine's been off a little with the book. I set the datum to what he had. I was within a couple hundred feet and I could find what he mentioned, but it was off.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
mbryson said:
Mine's been off a little with the book. I set the datum to what he had. I was within a couple hundred feet and I could find what he mentioned, but it was off.

Hmm, what trails?

He may have logged all his points before they loosened up the restrictions on GPS accuracy (thus his were properly done, just at an innaccurate era).

We used the GPS points almost exclusively to navigate our way through Flat Iron Mesa (one of the most confusing Moab trails), and I thought they were relatively close.

The way to do it is to GPS the actual trail and then match it against a Topo, though I have found even the topo's are of by 100+ feet. Could be the GPS, could be the topo software, hard to tell...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
Hmm, what trails?

He may have logged all his points before they loosened up the restrictions on GPS accuracy (thus his were properly done, just at an innaccurate era).

We used the GPS points almost exclusively to navigate our way through Flat Iron Mesa (one of the most confusing Moab trails), and I thought they were relatively close.

The way to do it is to GPS the actual trail and then match it against a Topo, though I have found even the topo's are of by 100+ feet. Could be the GPS, could be the topo software, hard to tell...
I honestly can't remember. (I was gonna post that originally.) I think it was for Porcupine Rim. I would have fallen off the cliff if I was following his directions. I figured he's allowed to make a mistake or two. The trail was clearly marked and I was on it. His book did what it needed to do.

I figured he might have used a different datum for that trail or something.....

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I'll have to double check that everything is at the same settings.

cruiseroutfit said:

Flat Iron Mesa is the trail I was trying to map when I pretty much gave up. I'll use his waypoints when I'm down there and see how well they match to what I get.

I, too, wondered if it was due to his old readings.

DrMoab

I have used his on five or six trails with my GPS and they have always been within a 100 feet. Close enough for most turns and what not. That and he also gives such good descriptions of each waypoint you can usually figure it out if it is too off.

I have used his waypoints on 10 or 20 of the trails from the book without many troubles. Like indicated, they are within about 100 feet. I'm pretty sure they were made before selective availability was turned off - at least in the issue I have. BTW, I posted all these points electronically here a couple of months ago.