Moab or/versus San Rafael Swell? Discuss.

RTR

I have no agendas or special motives in asking to compare the two. I just don't know lots about either, and would love to generate some good discussion. I've been to Moab a dozen times, and in and around the San Rafael Swell a dozen times, as well... curious to see what people think of the differences, similarities, advantages, etc.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If you've been to either a dozen times then surely you know first hand the "differences, similarities, advantages"? :confused:

Apples and oranges, the criteria for comparing them is as different as the person doing the comparison. Again if you have spent any time in both you'll quickly note the vast difference. Moab has a much greater quantity of trails ranging from 2WD to as hard as they come, most within a half hour of a gas station or fast food. The Swell has serenity, solitude, and a history both modern and ancient rivaling that of Moab. Moab has State Parks, National Parks, Museums, Auto Repair shops, crowds... The Swell has a loose infrastructure on its border that can accommodate general needs.

Last edited:

RTR

I should qualify that, in saying that I've been to both places various times, I mean that I've been there usually through the eyes of a hiker, biker, climber... I'm new to the 4x4 thing, and was hoping to extract those that favor the Swell over Moab and visa versa. I had a great time in the Swell, yesterday. We drove the Mt. Dew trail, went over to the black boxes, went up Cane Wash, over Fix-It pass, and down the NF of Coal Wash. We had a great time. I was super bummed that we didn't have time to drive the Devil's Racetrack.

Though I believe they're different, I don't think that they're apples and oranges. Perhaps they are Gala and Fuji. I especially enjoyed the more technical driving, and was hoping others would come forth with some favorite "stashes," of technical trails.

For example, Kurt, you mentioned "BDC," in the Swell in another thread that I was reading. I couldn't figure out what the trail was, but throughout my reading and browsing, I'm lead to believe that there are technical trails out there that could (albeit not perfectly) be compared to Moab's technical trails.

I like the serenity and remoteness of the Swell. I love being out there and not seeing hardly anyone in an entire day of driving. (Though I recognize some serious downsides to that.) I like that it's an hour and a half closer to home. I like that it's so vast and relatively unknown, when compared to Moab.

Maybe I just responded to my own inquiry, but I was hoping to pick others' brains, as well.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Gotcha, that give me some context on the question :D I was really trying to wrap my head around what you were actually asking.

Having done ~95% of the routes in the Swell I can promise you there is nothing legal that is even close to the difficulty of Moab area trails and those that do offer some degree of difficulty (or need to engage 4WD) number in the half dozen. Devils Racetrack does offer some technical driving, but it can legitly be traversed in a bone stock SWB 4x4 with fair effort, something you can't do on a growing list of Moab area trails. Other than DRT you have Black Dragon Canyon (BDC) and again barring any flooding or washouts it can be done in a stock 4x4 albeit it is much more comfortable in something with a little height and protection. I bought an FJ60 in Moab a few years back and decided to give it a true maiden voyage spending my time weaving through the Swell on the way home. I had to do a bit of rock-stacking and get on the onion a couple of times but I made it through BDC and around the Swell without issue. Eagle Canyon can offer a bit of challenge depending on the season and recent conditions but I was leading a group of ~20 through there & BDC a few weeks ago and I think the worst our group dealt with was some dust and a flat tire.

Just came home from the Swell myself, we spent the weekend floating the SR Swell River from the Swinging Bridge to our base camp down the Mexican Mountain Road. We had a few neighbors here and there but for the most part I enjoyed the serenity with 30 of my noisiest friends. If you were within 5 miles there was a good chance you heard us. :D

...I like that it's so vast and relatively unknown, when compared to Moab...

Ssshhh, we are trying to keep it that way. Honestly between my lack of time and general demeanor I've quite posting trip reports about 'special places' on publicly viewable forums. There is just too much to lose. Granted there is very little in the Swell and even less so in the Moab area that is truly unique but I don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry finding my camping spot after a quick google search :D

Last edited: