MOAB permit

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. How big does a group need to be before a permit is required? What are the penalties for not having a permit fir a group gathering?

Thanks for any info.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Every field office is different, but I believe that the Moab FO in the latest RMP says a group larger than 25. Now I am not sure if that means 25 people or 25 vehicles. Is this an organized event that is advertised? That can have an impact on needing a permit.

The best answer I can give is that you need to contact the Moab FO and tell them what you want to do and let them tell you if you need it or not.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Any sized organized group. Here is a link to the SRP handbook

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...al Recreation Permit Process Handbook.doc.pdf

but you are going to find it is not much help and very vague. Unless you are holding some sort of event with less than 10 or so vehicles you should go under the radar but any group over 10 might get stopped just don’t advertize on any open forum which would constitute an organized run. There used to be a group size but no longer. I have been involved with SRP's in the past and the real killer is the insurance costs.
Todd

Last edited:

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
"The Consequences of Operating Without a Permit
Operating without a required SRP or participating in a non-permitted event or activity that
requires a SRP is a Federal Class A criminal misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to
$100,000 and 12 months incarceration."

"2. An Organized Group Activity permit is required for group outdoor recreation activities or
events which are neither commercial nor competitive. The authorized officer determines when a
permit is required based on planning decisions, resource concerns, user conflicts, public health
and safety, and/or the need for resource monitoring. Examples: family reunions and organized
four-wheel drive events. Contact the appropriate BLM office to determine if a SRP is required
for your event."

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Read the manual, read the notations about permits in the RMP and then give the BLM office a call. A little due diligence on your part will go a long ways. They can give you the final answer.

My quickee notes:

If your going to be charging for your event, you need a permit.
If your going to be advertising your event, you might need a permit.
If your event is hosted by a commercial or organized (club) entity, you might need a permit.
If you need a permit, you need to apply at least 180 days in advance.
If you need a permit be prepared to pay for the BLM's time to prep the permit

I've got a more 'compiled' list that came from the SLC BLM district that was seemingly far more restrictive, I'll see if I can find it.

As I have ranted in the past, these permit processes could really change the face of organized OHV runs right down to a family reunion or monthly club run :eek:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Read the manual, read the notations about permits in the RMP and then give the BLM office a call. A little due diligence on your part will go a long ways. They can give you the final answer.

My quickee notes:

If your going to be charging for your event, you need a permit.
If your going to be advertising your event, you might need a permit.
If your event is hosted by a commercial or organized (club) entity, you might need a permit.
If you need a permit, you need to apply at least 180 days in advance.
If you need a permit be prepared to pay for the BLM's time to prep the permit

I've got a more 'compiled' list that came from the SLC BLM district that was seemingly far more restrictive, I'll see if I can find it.

As I have ranted in the past, these permit processes could really change the face of organized OHV runs right down to a family reunion or monthly club run :eek:

As Kurt can attest to..... whe he says might, what that means is whether they require you to have a permit could be dependant on how they feel about your activity. If they don't care for your activity, they can make you jump through enough hoops for you to say it is not worth it.