Moab Thaw-Out 3/11/16

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
With ski season in northern Utah suffering as of late, the cogs of spring fever have been in motion for both me (Charles) and my girlfriend (Lauren). I have been putting in a lot of shop weekends working on a backcountry trailer build, but I was feeling a major need to put down the wrenches and go enjoy some nice weather and fresh air. We jumped in the Jeep and pointed southeast to Moab, and decided to "rough it" in the La-Quinta. Treat yourself!
We went out Saturday morning to a great hike up Hunter Canyon. The trailhead was just a little past the start of the Cliffhanger trail, and took us up a beautiful canyon with running water.

Lauren picked up an additional hiking partner :)

We took this ALL THE WAY BACK to a point that we were trapped by cliff walls. This included quite a bit of severe bushwhacking through thick tamarack and vegetation, as most people call it once the trail craps out about 2/3 of the way up... but oh, not us. The goal was to try and make a loop out using the Pritchett Canyon 4x4 trail, as we were within .25 miles at the end of our hike. Beta info showed it was do-able, and would be without dogs. At the pinch point you must climb up a series of 5-6' ledges to pop out, and this was unmanageable with two large dogs.

We made the haul back out the way we had come in, and that gave us a grand total of 12 miles in the canyon. We were pretty tired, but our dogs were complete toast by this point. The outing ended up taking most of the day, and we cruised back into town just in time to get cleaned up and grab some dinner. I was super itchy to take the Jeep out still and Lauren and the dogs were totally done after the hike, so I hit the road solo for some "me" time on Hells Revenge. Suffice to say, it could not have been any better. It was warm and calm, I was rolling with the top down, and the scenery at golden hour was incredible.

Sunday, with everyone sore and tired, we let the Jeep do all the work. Sevenmile rim was the trail du jour, and ended up being awesome as well. We were in complete solitude all morning out there (something I value greatly).

This trip definitely got the stoke for 4x4 adventure coursing through my veins again, and reminded me how grateful I am to live in a place with such wonderful natural treasures and unique recreation opportunities.

Thanks for reading, see you out there!

Last edited: