Moab to SLC

Spicy_Red

Everythin'sBroke
I have heard about a trail or series of them anyway that goes from Moab back to Salt Lake and was wondering if anyone had any information on this if it is even real. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems logical. After I get a few more bugs worked out in my Jeep I was thinking about trying this but haven't been able to find any info. Help if you can.

RED

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Pretty vague but there are a handful of ways to avoid the pavement en route to Moab. Over Skyline Drive, through the Swell and down through Blue Hills/Dubinky would be the most direct. I guess at that you could do SLC to AF Canyon to Heber, Starvation to Skyline, Skyline to the Swell and the Swell to Green River, Green River to Moab via Dubinky... it would take a day or more but would leave you on the pavement for ~ 100 miles.

Spicy_Red

Everythin'sBroke
humm

I will have to look into this one I was hoping I might find a route that was less pavement, I think it would be fun either way. Maybe I could get a bunch of maps together and plan a route that would make a good week long trip and see a few sites ect. It will make for a good winter research project either way.

Thanks for the info it helps to know that there are ways to do it it is just figureing them out.

RED

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I will have to look into this one I was hoping I might find a route that was less pavement, I think it would be fun either way. Maybe I could get a bunch of maps together and plan a route that would make a good week long trip and see a few sites ect. It will make for a good winter research project either way.

Thanks for the info it helps to know that there are ways to do it it is just figureing them out.

RED

Those are pretty much the only options. I've all of them in different combination's including coming home from Moab that way. I'd bet with some real sneaky routing you could start in Heber and get to Moab at under 50 miles of pavement. You could link through Nine Mile Canyon and then cross the highway in Wellington into the Swell, but you still have to hop on I70 for a few miles before you can head south again. If there were a crossing anywhere between Green River and Hite into Moab you would really have some neat options, though despite dare's I've never seen it happen ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Now, if you don't mind really adding some miles to the trip, it could likely be done with less miles by heading west to start. Dirt roads south in the West Desert, come east from St George or Richfield, through the Swell or further south, into the Maze cross at Hite, through Canyonlands into Moab via Lockhart or similar. Totally doable, very similar to the trip we are planning here:
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=52135

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Now, if you don't mind really adding some miles to the trip, it could likely be done with less miles by heading west to start. Dirt roads south in the West Desert, come east from St George or Richfield, through the Swell or further south, into the Maze cross at Hite, through Canyonlands into Moab via Lockhart or similar. Totally doable, very similar to the trip we are planning here:
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=52135

Damn kid, that is taking the long way to Moab!

ricsrx

Green River to Moab via Dubinky... it would take a day or more but would leave you on the pavement for ~ 100 miles.

Kurt, growing up in Price utah we used to go to the dunes down on the green river by Ruby ranch i belive it was Ruby, we called the dunes Dubinky and i dont know where that name comes from, do you? and were we correct in calling it Dubinky dunes?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, growing up in Price utah we used to go to the dunes down on the green river by Ruby ranch i belive it was Ruby, we called the dunes Dubinky and i dont know where that name comes from, do you? and were we correct in calling it Dubinky dunes?

You are correct on both accounts, Ruby Ranch as well as the Dubinky Dunes. We used to stop by the dunes on the way home from Moab each trip. I'll have to rack my brain how the area got its name but the major landmark in the area is the Dubinky Well, a picturesque windmill that pumped the well and filled an old livestock trough.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
You are correct on both accounts, Ruby Ranch as well as the Dubinky Dunes. We used to stop by the dunes on the way home from Moab each trip. I'll have to rack my brain how the area got its name but the major landmark in the area is the Dubinky Well, a picturesque windmill that pumped the well and filled an old livestock trough.

From what I understand, the farmer that owned the land near by (not sure about the current owner) was called Dubinky either by nick name or last name. I'll have to find out again. Dubinky has been the 'nickname' for the dunes for a very long time. The actual given name by land management is White Wash sand dunes.

Jedisdead

Jed
i think wallsburg canyon connects to hobble creek, then to diamond fork then take hwy 6 to thistle turn off then on to lake fork connects to skyline drive