Moab trails.

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
I've never been to Moab, but I think I'll be making it down soon. I wanted to make it down for the xj thing (probably best that i dont go since I dont have a jeep dont want to get beat up), but I think i'll have to go the weekend after that (17th).

So what trails would you guys recommend? This is my first year wheeling and the only trails I have been up are the snakes, and I've been to little moab a couple times. I have a decently capable vehicle and I consider myself to be a competent driver. I want to get there friday night and leave sunday early afternoon.

Thanks for any suggestions that you might have.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
I feel that every one should do the triple threat once. (up poison spider, across golden spike to the crack, then continue on out the gold bar rim)

Swoop69

I feel that every one should do the triple threat once. (up poison spider, across golden spike to the crack, then continue on out the gold bar rim)

I second that. Good memories on that trail. I actually proposed to my wife on poison spider.

It can be pretty pricey, but there are a lot of trails that you can do in a rental jeep. We went down in June for the Jeepster Safari, even though my Jeepster isnt done, and rented a jeep.

chans

We are going to be down there that weekend and you can come along on trails if you want. I think we will be doing Rusty Nail and Upper Helldorado but I also want to do Hell's Revenge and Moab Rim which are two of the best trails and maybe Kane Creek which you would be fine on. I will be biking some of the mornings but we will be there from 10/16 - 10/21. It will be all Jeeps unless the weather is bad and I take the Taco but we won't beat you up.

Last edited:

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
What kind of vehicle do you have?
I have a 1st gen SAS 4Runner, locked F&R, 5.29's, 5.0:1 T case, 33's (might have 35's then) the usual.

PSSnakesNlilMoab0482.jpg

We are going to be down there that weekend and you can come along on trails if you want. I think we will be doing Rusty Nail and Upper Helldorado but I also want to do Hell's Revenge and Moab Rim which are two of the best trails and maybe Kane Creek which you would be fine on. I will be biking some of the mornings but we will be there from 10/16 - 10/21. It will be all Jeeps unless the weather is bad and I take the Taco but we won't beat you up.

Sweet, if things work out I'd love to tag along.

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
My first trip to Moab we did Hells Revenge & Moab Rim. I think those trails are a good place to start, mostly cuz they are really close to town. If you break its not to far into town.

I remember my first trip on the rim I broke an axle and didn't even realize i had. I made it to the top just in time for the whole wheel and tire to fall from the axle flopping around. We spent the night on top of the rim and had a freind bring us some parts in the morning.

Ohh the fond memories...

D94R

Are Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim anymore difficult than Poison Spider? We wanted to do the trail that way when we were down there a couple weeks ago, but no one had ever ran the latter two trails to know.

Our spring trip we plan to attempt it. Would be nice to know ahead of time though, cause if they are comparable to Poison Spider then I'll know we won't have any trouble.

The Stranger, do you live in EM? Your rig looks familiar to one out here.

Last edited:

chans

Are Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim anymore difficult than Poison Spider? We wanted to do the trail that way when we were down there a couple weeks ago, but no one had ever ran the latter two trails to know.

Our spring trip we plan to attempt it. Would be nice to know ahead of time though, cause if they are comparable to Poison Spider then I'll know we won't have any trouble.

Gold Bar is easier than Poison spider and Golden Spike is harder. Gold Bar 3+, Poision Spider 4, Golden Spike 4+

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
Yep that is probably my truck. that youve seen. stupid eagle mountain. Im actually sitting in the redwood road traffic right now typing this on my phone.. good thing i drove the dodge today instead of riding my motorcycle like i planned.

Last edited:

rlanderton

WB6TMV
You will have a great time in Moab - I understand from some members of RR4W club that Moab Rim is getting pretty tough now and as it is on the rim, there is NO room for errors - I would make sure to have an experienced driver and spotter along in another rig with you...
You will enjoy PS, GS and GB trails with your rig.

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
The thing about Moab Rim that gets me is that its right by that huge cliff:eek: The trail is probably not to difficult but the fact that its on such an incline and so near a cliff always makes things exciting.

I actually have a mild fear of heights so I usually don't really mind if we skip this trail when we come to Moab.