moab trip report (from sept 6-7)

shmoesmith

moab trip report (from sept 6-7)pics now included

went to moab this past weekend in my tracker.....went up to goldbar rim and got as far as the first big ledge when it started raining and raining and raining...needless to say we got the hell out of there, but not before getting caught in a flashflood :eek: we hauled arse out of there and noticed the water was getting over 30 inches deep on the main road out, at which point we started hitting the water at highspeeds in an attempt to hydroplane the wash crossings(which scary as it was, worked wonderfully, even while getting carried down stream while skipping across the water) we finally got to safe ground and got some great pictures of waterfalls around gooney bird rock that were formed by the flooding...next day we did hells revenge in the tracker and it performed flawlessly until we were on the backside of the lions back when we heard a *PING!*..turns out hte retainer pins and springs in our back left drum brake had decided to slide out and springs and pieces of our drum brakes were sliding around inside the drum...ended up having to pull off all of the drum brake componeents and finish the trail and get home on 3 brakes....now the problem is the repair manual pictures of what the drum brakes SHOULD look like are totaly different than what my brakes actually look like and there are several pieces in my brakes that arent even included in my manual :confused: so anyone know anywhere that can take a look at all my pieces and put them back together plus any missing???:rolleyes: PICS to soon follow..none are too impressive, but it was fun

Last edited:

chuck

now on the subject of the drum brakes. Why dont you just pull the other rear drum and take a look. Then just put the left drum back together useing the right drum as a guide.

shmoesmith

would love to do that with the drum brakes but both sides are not the same...figures that 2 brake lines come outof one side and the emergency cable goes into the other..the side with the emergency cable is the one that went out...its brake line feeds directly off of the other drum brake instead of a proportioning valve :( I fear I may have to take it to the dealer on this one. :(

shmoesmith

this is when britt was leaning out the window and it was about 15 inches up the tires...we didnt get a pictures of it when it was moving fast and deep because we were too freaked out about stopping:eek:

shmoesmith

once the rain stopped, there were some beautiful waterfalsl created that we hiked over to..here is one ofthem.

shmoesmith

short climb on hells revenge where i guess I popped up some air on the front end, but the blasted digital camera (as always)snapped the picture like 2 seconds after the button was pushed

shmoesmith

one of the fins.....This sucker was scary from the drivers point of view...especially when I felt the vehicle teetering side to side at the top...i guess this is the one that is in the charles wells book that has a warning about it needing a spotter for..

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm jealous of the Rain in Moab! I've always wanted to be on the Trail and have it pour down... seeing Hells Revenge in a storm would be way cool, too.

Nice pics!