Moab trip...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
sloppyjoe4by said:
Where were the first two pictures taken? The last two are on golden spike, correct?

Adam

i'll bet the first two are to the right of the waterfall on PSM....

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
That does appear to be where they were taken, but I really hope not because that would be an illegal off trail route if they are.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Rick B said:
That does appear to be where they were taken, but I really hope not because that would be an illegal off trail route if they are.

true, but there's not much you can do about..... ya know? it's there, and people are gonna drive over it....

gtidrivr

Rick B said:

Yes you guys are right. That is exactly where those pics were taken. but you know, there weren't any markings saying "no route" like there were on any other " illegal off trail routes" so I figured it was fair game.

P

pokeyYJ

Just because nobody has posted anything still doesn't make it right.

There are TONS of places down there that don't have marking saying they are off limits, but I was under the impression that we were supposed to stay on existing trails?

gtidrivr

pokeyYJ said:
Just because nobody has posted anything still doesn't make it right.

There are TONS of places down there that don't have marking saying they are off limits, but I was under the impression that we were supposed to stay on existing trails?

Your right there are alot of places that dont have any markings that we know better than to do! I.E. speeding on the way down there... driving our rigs all over Moab on the street... and so forth! Next time I go down, I promise I will be on my best behavior and traile my jeep to and from the trail ( which I always do) and stay on trails that aren't being "watched" . ;)

VANDALL

gtidrivr said:
Your right there are alot of places that dont have any markings that we know better than to do! I.E. speeding on the way down there... driving our rigs all over Moab on the street... and so forth! Next time I go down, I promise I will be on my best behavior and traile my jeep to and from the trail ( which I always do) and stay on trails that aren't being "watched" . ;)

Me to...............

VANDALL.

shmoesmith

gtidrivr said:
Yes you guys are right. That is exactly where those pics were taken. but you know, there weren't any markings saying "no route" like there were on any other " illegal off trail routes" so I figured it was fair game.

In all due respect, gtidriver has a very good point...This particular spot on the waterfall is ALWAYS black from people driving up it. When you look at it, you can see clearly that many people drive that way. All other areas of PS that have black marks going where they shouldnt have clearly spray painted "no route" and a line drawn across the black marks..there are places right before the waterfall and right after the waterfall that have these spray paint marks. When they were closing off so called 'alternate' ways up, I would think they would have spray painted that portion of the waterfall since they spraypainted everything infront of it and behind it. It would have been obvious to the trail marks that people drove that way and I think that if they were concerened about that particular spot they would have painted it. If they dont want people driving up it they should put an arrow pointing up the waterfall in the proper directions or paint it the way they have the rest of the trail...as far as staying on the exisiting trails, dont ya think its hard to not consider it (for a newbie anyway)part of the 'exisiting trail' if its got black marks straight up it and thre are no spray marks indicating it is closed(such as the ones you would have seen previously)I think its a tough call. I drove up it in the past b4 i was told it was an illegal route because of the fact that it was black and there were no closure marks..thought it was just another way up the waterfall they let you take.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
bobdog said:
That's messed up that you feel that way.

that doesn't mean i endorse it. it's the truth. are you gonna be down in moab to monitor every single alternate route, on every trail? i didn't think so. meaning, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. i agree with s-smith, if they wanted it closed off wouldn't they have painted it by now?

the point is, unless it's clearly marked, for whatever the situation might be, how the hell are 'we' as wheeling enthusiasts supposed to know. the key is education. nobody can learn unless informed.

so, no. i don't think the way i feel is messed up.

-Jason

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Elder SAMI said:
...the point is, unless it's clearly marked, for whatever the situation might be, how the hell are 'we' as wheeling enthusiasts supposed to know. the key is education. nobody can learn unless informed....

Thats one of the more ignorant comments I have heard in a while...

So your saying the BLM (only a couple full-time rangers) should have to mark every single obstacle, wall, etc.... No FU**IN way! Get real and pass the pipe...

You are more than welcome to call the BLM at their Moab headquarters and ask them about ANY trail in question... better yet, take the extra couple minutes and stop in their office, get a map and be in the know... There are alot of areas in Moab that are "cross-country travel permitted" meaning you can go anywhere without destroying vegitation, etc. But ALOT of Moab is limited to designated trails and routes... Get yourself informed and learn to wipe your own a** at the same time!

Your the type of kid that would sue the government for not having caution signs posted at a hot pot.. :rolleyes:

Be responsible, don't make others take the responsibility for you!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
cruiseroutfit said:

So your saying the BLM (only a couple full-time rangers) should have to mark every single obstacle, wall, etc.... No FU**IN way! Get real and pass the pipe...

You are more than welcome to call the BLM at their Moab headquarters and ask them about ANY trail in question... better yet, take the extra couple minutes and stop in their office, get a map and be in the know... There are alot of areas in Moab that are "cross-country travel permitted" meaning you can go anywhere without destroying vegitation, etc. But ALOT of Moab is limited to designated trails and routes... Get yourself informed and learn to wipe your own a** at the same time!

Your the type of kid that would sue the government for not having caution signs posted at a hot pot.. :rolleyes:

Be responsible, don't make others take the responsibility for you!

hhhhmmmm, i don't think i said this right... i don't expect the BLM to mark everything... but in a case like this line on PSM, right there for everyone to see, if they wanted it blocked they would mark it so. and no i would sue for something being hot, that's just stupid. you have to admit that alot of people need to be educated though. there are some seriously stupid people.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Elder SAMI said:
the point is, unless it's clearly marked, for whatever the situation might be, how the hell are 'we' as wheeling enthusiasts supposed to know. the key is education. nobody can learn unless informed.

-Jason

qouting myself here.... what i mean by that comment is that people need to be educated. which would include getting maps and doing their part to be educated. i did imply that pretty much everything should be marked...that would be extremely ugly... that's not how i feel, and am not too sure why i wrote what i did that way.

shmoesmith

cruiseroutfit said:

QUOTE]

The point of this particular alt route is that everything in front and behind it on the trail that looked like an alt route (example had tire marks going up it)that was not supposed to be an alt route was clearly marked as 'no route'. Where as this particular climb looked like an alt route but was not marked...now one would assume (if he knew nothing about the trail)if every other noticible alt route on the trail that you werent supposed to go on was spray painted, then if you wernt supposed to go on this one, it would be spray painted too. I'm not saying spray paint every climb and mark everything, but if a well used alternate route is not supposed to be getting used any more then the blm NEEDS to mark it If a wall has no tire tracks up it, then yeah, no need to mark it-its obviously not part of the trail, but when the wal is black from people climbing it on a well known part of the trail-it looks like an alt route.....just like escalator and hells gate...I always thought they were official obsticals of the trail and were 100%legal..black marks up them, everyone talks about them, yet this year they finally marked them as no route....the wall climb on PSM looks like a legit route in the exact same respect as escalator and hells gate. they need to mark it if they dont want people doing it.