Moab UT.....Hidden Canyon, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau and Onion Creek

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Thursday morning, my parents, Melanie and my daughter Riley and I left around nine with the intentions of taking the Blue Hills Road instead of just I-70 to get to Moab. Taking the 175 exit off I-70, we started out on the road. It had seen better days, with lots and lots of cuts from streams due to the recent rains. This didn't make for the smoothest, or quickest route in, but who cares?

We made our way in, stopping occasionally to let the dog out to play, as well as letting my daughter Riley out, as she has been couped up for too long. 5 year olds get bored ;)

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

I had decided to try a new trail that I hadn't ever done before, Hidden Canyon Overlook, which ties in with the Dubinkie Well Road. From the guide books I'd read, it was a nice scenic trail with a few challenges. My parents aren't into really difficult trails, nor am I, but I was told that they wanted to use low range :eek: It lived up to what I'd hoped for, an easy afternoon drive, very pretty and great to get back out in the Utah desert for.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

We made good time, stopping a few more times to have lunch and just get out and not rush the day. The weather was surprisingly good, as it had been the only thing that I worried about. Thursday it was in the mid 50's, with the rest of the weekend only getting warmer.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Brett

Meat-Hippy
After finishing Hidden Canyon, we took the highway up to the turn off for Dead Horse Point, then down into Long Canyon.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Someone is done with driving for the day....

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Brett

Meat-Hippy
The next day, we decided to do another trail I hadn't done before, Dome Plateau. This starts 30 miles up the river from Moab, right after you cross the bridge.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Last edited:

PolarXJ

HO-P
Nice report and pics. My 5 yr old is actually pretty good with the long hauls. Its my 2 yr old that is the hard one to deal with.