Moab w/ utility quads?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Hey guys and gals,

Anyone here leave their RC at home and take on a few trails in Moab on a Utility Quad? How is it?

I have that red dirt itch...:ugh:

Dominic

Over EJS there was some dudes in front of us on a couple on Steel Bender. Looks alot less expensive as Jeeping. One guy was trying all the hard lines and made a few of them.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Yeah, quads are lot cheaper in so many ways. I will probably never own another rc again but I do enjoy and love the fab work, design, and tech that goes behind it. I am always happy to grind or help someone work on their junk too.

The biggest downside to utility quads.......not much you can do to them. Intake, Jet, Exhaust, tires, wheels, and thats pretty much it. So if you like spending tons of money building a rig then quads arent for you. That sounds wierd but I remember the feeling I got working OT and saving up for gears, lockers, etc. It was a lot of money thrown away but it was fun while it lasted.

The biggest upside: When you are riding you have so much more freedom. You can see all the landscape around you, the wind through your clothes, and you can get into a lot more areas. If you get stuck, just get off the rig and pull it out with your own two hands. :D

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I usually go to Moab with guys from work and there are a few that bring quads. Ledges get a little interesting with them but usually they can go a lot faster and further than the jeeps/trucks could.
I've seen a few of the side by sides down there and they look fun for bringing the kids/wife that can't/doesn't want to drive.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
The biggest downside to utility quads.......not much you can do to them.

I find that the biggest UPside to them. Go out and have fun beating the crap out of them, and don't worry about the cool mods you can't afford. We have run upper helldo on Grizzlies, it was a riot.

Lately we've been doing Moab in Rhinos. It's amazing how well they do on the rocks.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I've done it several times. Kane Creek is a hoot as well as Hells Revenge. You have to realize that ledges are no longer "Easy!"

I think the guy that did the Moab trail book re-formatted the book and released it as a book for ATV trails. Hit the google or your local ATV shop and see if they have it. It is a great way to see Moab at a lot faster pace!!

DToy

Only gripe I have about ATV's/Motorcycles/etc. is that lately on the trails that I have been on in Moab a majority of the tracks going off of the trail are from ATV's and motorcycles. Not saying that RC's don't, but I sure wish that the ATV/motorcycle crowd would stay on the trails. Seems like they either go off because the trail they are on is not hard enough and they want to play on other things, or they get to the tough spots and decide to go completely off the trail to bypass.

So if you're taking your ATV's to Moab...STAY ON THE FRIGGIN' TRAIL!!!! (please) And make sure everyone else on the trails does the same.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Yeah I hate that too. Thankfully coming from a rc background I learned and appreciate the rules of Treading Lightly and I always practice that unless safety or something out of my control permits. I really havent had too many issues with other ATV'ers except the dirt bike guys. The guys who dress up in all that Fox racing gear and drive 200 mph everywhere they are going. I always see them tearing up the trails or just throwing their food wrappers or cans where ever they feel. IMHO it is those types that give the utility quads guys a bad rap.

Keep in mind, I will always be a Rock Crawler who turned to quads, not a quad guy who turned to RC's. :D

Matt

My friends and i have done Moab on atv's and got to say its a blast, but it dose beat you up! (get a room with a hot tub:D) It's way faster paced then being in a rc which lets you do more wheelin in a day then you would normally do in a rig. Have done several hard trails on atv's that takes a winch and or helping each other up obstacles, Pritchett, Rusty Nail, etc. We have always stayed on the trail, except when its not very well marked and had to scout it out. We've yelled at dirt bikers several times for taking the easy route clearly marked no motorized vehicles and they always seem to be guys from out of state!:mad: