Modifying Jack Stands. Who's Done It?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I need more height, but don't want to spend $500 on a pair of tall ones from Napa. So what I'm thinking is buying 4 of the 6 ton units from HF and then welding angle iron on each corner to extend them. I would weld strap at the base and in the mid point around the new legs to help prevent them from bending in under load. I'm thinking I'll extend the legs about 16 inches, with another 8 inches over lapping the original legs for the weld. This would give me somewhere around 10 inches of extra height, for a total height of 34 inches, which would be perfect. The new base would be about 20x20 inches. I'm thinking 3/16 x 2 for the angle iron and 1/8 x 1 for the strap. Maybe 1/4 in. would be better?

These will mostly be used under Jeeps, so figure less then 5000 pounds total weight, so there would be less then 1250 on each corner.

I'm I stupid to crawl under a jeep lifted so high with these?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That's a good idea too. I'll have to look and see if we have some old ones in the yard at work. That would be cheaper yet.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've done the wheel thing, it works well and looks super-ghetto, as a bonus. :D

I don't see anything wrong with your other idea either though, but it would be more work for sure. And more money, probably.

Brad J

It looks like ChestonScout made some used in this thread.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?80121-The-Scout-is-getting-reworked-again
Scout001.jpg

idahoyj

I just completely built mine. Instead of starting with jackstands and modifying them, just start with some steel and build them your way the first time. I built mine with 1x2x1/8" rectangle tube for a base, then (iirc) 2x2x1/4 angle for supports, up to a piece of reciever tube with holes and a receiver pin just like on the back of your truck. They work really slick. I got the idea and basic plans from an article in Crawl Magazine about 5 years ago.

i have a pair of homemaid jackstands they were made for a 77 ford high boy with a 8 inch lift.. i might let them go for pretty cheap if interested
they stand 24" all the way out.
425951_10150559400377955_517802954_9182821_2107635148_n.jpg

Last edited:

neagtea

Supporting Member
The wheel thing works but only under the oak tree with the small block swinging from a come along hooked to it with a logging chain.
Build from scratch is best.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I chopped up a length of 6" C-channel and built a 6" tall box that I welded the jack stands on top of. They work awesome and don't take up as much floor space as the wheel idea.

ricsrx

I did the same thing that you have described, all with scrap angle i had in the shop, i got 1 done and ran out of angle, after using it on 3 projects im ready to do it to 3 more.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Mine work great! Just welded some pipe I had laying around. Built them over 3 years ago and stil work great. I was gonna post a pic but Brad beat me to it

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I bit the bullet and purchased 4 new jack stands at $77.00 and all the strap and angle to make them longer at $120.00. I'll post up a pic when I'm done.

311WJ

Ha we should have a competition on who can build the nicest most ingenuitive jack stands... ones that match your rig maybe? there are lots of good ideas here.. I was going to go buy some but building seems more fun and I can get more welding practice/time in..

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Got them done today. They look just like Chestons and I'm pretty happy with them. I already have them put to good use. I just need to weld some feet on them so the angle iron doesn't dig into the ground, and of course, paint them. Other then that, they are super beefy. I'm glad I went this route. I'll get some pics up soon.