Tell me about this trail...

Difficulty?
Scenery?
Length/Duration?
Things to do/see?
Mines? Cabins? Hikes?

Tell me what you know.. thanks!

2KTJDave

Its been about two years since I ran it (sorry I don't remember more) I made it in a stock TJ, its a fun scenic drive for the most part, I seem to remember some side hikes... the big thing that stood out to me was the Salamander Pond up there, there were literally thousands of 'em up there

Are you planning on heading up soon? I bet now that the leaves are changing it will be amazing... (I went in mid-July)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It connects with the Nebo Loop at the end. I haven't been all the way, but I have hiked the first lil' bit. I've heard it's not that challenging, but very senic.

You going soon? I wonder if the Dodge could make it... :D

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Some members of our Cruiser club are thinking of heading there as an alternatvie to Cedar City (the rest of the club is heading to Three Peaks to play)...

I will let you all know as I find more info...

kruzr69

cruiseroutfit said:
Some members of our Cruiser club are thinking of heading there as an alternatvie to Cedar City (the rest of the club is heading to Three Peaks to play)...

I will let you all know as I find more info...
If I am back before you guys go I would like to tag along. Make sure the cruiser is running good for my moab trip.

salaciouscrumb

My wife and I ran it about a month ago. As far as difficulty goes there are some spots that require 4 wheel drive...maybe even low. The trail is pretty narrow with very few places to wander off. The scenery is great. Especially when you are on the back side of Nebo. I would run the trail starting in Mona and ending up at the top of Payson canyon just to make it a little more challenging. It took us about 2 hrs. to run the trail, including stops for viewing and walking around. Not very much traffic either. The only other people we saw were a small group of atvs. Hope this helps a little.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I did part of it with a friend in June. We made it up part way then were stopped by huge snow drifts. The trail without snow would be pretty easy, with a lot of beautiful scenery. I would like to run it again. It's about an hour drive from salt lake. I can't remeber the actual I-15 exit off hand, but its pretty easy to find.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
I have heard talk of a mine up there... is it open? Any idea what kind of mine? Name of it?

There's a couple mines up there at the top a road cuts back to the west it's gated but it goes to a mine some atv's have made a path around the gate :rolleyes: theres a couple more mines i'll try to find out what i can. There used to be a whole town up there back in the 1800's. I did this trail last summer and it had alot of big rocks that fell from the mountain side the only way around them was over them.

salaciouscrumb

The signs at both ends of the trail still say you need to sign in on a permit. Too bad the permit booklets have been completely filled out. We just filled in our info on a page where someone didn't take up a lot of space. Only thing I could think of doing in case we were asked.

Clutch

Finally went up Mona Pole on Saturday.
First, the easest way to get there....I-15 heading south. Take exit 245, turn left or head west.
turn south or right at the T. Go 7 miles on the frontage road or one mile past the Young Living Farm. There will be a dirt road on your left. Head east on the road to the mona gravel pit. You will pass under I-15. It looks like you are heading into the gravel pit, right before you get there, there is a dirt road straight ahead. You will see the sign for Mona Pole.

About a mile up there is a sign in station. I suggest filling out the permit. 200 fine if not.

The road up it steep and rocky. With Ivan JR. on saturday blowing at our backs, I started to overheat. Nothing that a good 4x4 couldn't get up.
You wind your way up to 9700 feet. Then you drop and wind a bit through the pines and you come to an intersection. If you go left, you end up at an old mine and a great view. Right will take you to Nebo loop road.
I enjoyed the ride, but was surprised to see no animals.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Clutch said:
...Did run into a sweet 40 drivin by a guy named Jack ( I believe)

Thats the guy that mentioned he ran into you... I guess he was behind the group... Good times.

I want to get up there one of these days... :(

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've been up a few times. One trip up, we had a stock yj with us that had troubles making it up. You won't have any problems Kurt. Scenery is great.