Monday evening 6/25: snakes, Little Moab, AF canyon?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've got some free time tomorrow evening, and since I haven't even engaged 4wd yet this calendar year I figure I ought to go 'wheeling. Who is up for an outing in the greater Lehi area? I'm up for going to any of the three places mentioned in the thread title.

Anyone?

i wouldn't mind doing something but not sure my jeep can go where your wrangler can. seeing that mines just got a budget boost and nothing extra. but its looking like everyone is saying 1 more week is best.

sixstringsteve

mustang, you could do forest lake if you have a spotter to help you avoid the rocks to the sliders in one or two places. Most of the trail is pretty easy.

I wish my rig were driveable so I could join you Dempsey. Give me 3 weeks and I'll be ready for trip #2.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
i wouldn't mind doing something but not sure my jeep can go where your wrangler can. seeing that mines just got a budget boost and nothing extra.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: my Wrangler (aka "the low rider") only has a budget boost and 31" tires. My point being, your Jeep can just as easily handle Rattlesnake. So come on out! I have plans to meet someone from another forum at the Chevron at 5:30. Will you be there?

This guy has never seen the snakes or LM, so I decided I ought to lead us to one of those places (highly likely to be the snakes rather than LM). It'll be a nice, scenic trip. Again, come on out with us!!

Last edited:
oh i've done rattlesnake and most of forest lake love mary ellen gultch i just have to watch my lines when i take those trails. what happened to abner? and which direction are you heading out tonight turbo?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Be sure to take pictures, I want a trip report!

It turned out there were only two attendees--myself and a really nice guy named Will. I got hooked up with him via another forum. He has just signed up on RME, however, and is using the same screen name here as on the other forum (iconwill). Since he had never seen it, we decided to run Rattlesnake. Since neither of us had a passenger, we had nobody to take any photos. :(

Having said that, you should have been there, Steve. You would have been so proud! Will's JK is currently under the knife, so to speak, so he came out in his daily driver: a 2000 Toyota Tundra extended cab pickup. It is entirely showroom stock, right down to the open diffs. It also has beautiful virgin sheetmetal--I don't even think there was a door ding on it--and I swore to Will that I wouldn't let him dent his pristine body.

This meant I was in the lead. I gotta admit, I was impressed: Will was reluctant to take any bypasses unless I urged him to do so. I would usually overcome an obstacle, then park and hop out to spot him through it. There were a couple spots where I had him crawl along an inch at a time just to make sure the lower body wouldn't get any rock rash. The hairiest part was the exit from the rock garden, but even then he did a fantastic job and we got through without any body damage. The only mark was on his front suspension skid plate, which got a baseball-sized dent from an encounter with a rock.

After the mine tailings, we headed up top to look down the shaft and see the infamous buried Jeep. While doing so, Will managed to cut his shin on one of the pieces of rebar. This gave me a rare opportunity to pull out my first aid kit. This wasn't any sort of life-threatening injury, but I was nevertheless happy to know I'm not lugging around a useless piece of cargo.

After chatting for a while, we decided to head out and run the trail in reverse. This proved to be a little more difficult, apparently, because now all of the little rock ledge climbs are rock ledge descents. On a couple of occasions, Will dropped both front tires off a ledge and the truck landed squarely--and loudly--on the transmission crossmember. It didn't seem to deform in any way, so we shrugged this off as friendly contact (along with the time we drug his tailpipe without bending it). The only other real damage was when we munched his left rear mud flap (it was the factory rigid plastic type that contours to the wheel flare) but this was so minor (and so easy to repair) that Will didn't even bat an eye.

What about me? On one descent, I managed to land on my gas tank skid plate... but since it is an aftermarket upgraded one, all this did was scrape some paint off of it. Other than that, it was smooth sailing.

I was really glad to make the trip. Will is as friendly a guy as you could ever meet, and I'm glad I got a chance to get to know him. I encouraged him to get active here on RME, and I think he'll fit right in with this group.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Great report. I look forward to meeting will. I'm proud of him for taking a bone stock rig through without it getting hurt.

dash

dempsey,
dude i would have been there but i did not check quick enough i guess. i was cutting out some grass on the side of my house. but i really do want to go wheel out to 5 mile and the like. i just got back from moab 2 weeks ago. i ran fins n things in my cherokee with 4 people in it. i made it through fine and now want to do more trails. so, i will watch more closely for times to go.