More Computer Help

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, the other kids computer is now mess up....

I want to completly remove windows 2000 from this computer and reinstall windows 98.
I'm in DOS and I have the A:\> showing, what do I do? I just can't remember.... I typed in reformat

help...

wrnchplr

free loader!!
from an A: type c: format. you might want to fdisk and setup new partitions.
are you using a startup disk? if so is it the one for 98?
Edit: from the A: you can also type...format c: or type c:enter to get the c drive then type the format, would look like this
A:format c:
c:format

Last edited:

Pathos

If you are going down from 2k to 98 you should run fdisk and remove the partitions then recreate them. Keep the partition sizes under 2GB and 98 shouldn't have to many problems.

Once the drive is preped boot off your 98 install disk (or the CD if it is bootable) and follow the instructions. If all you have is a win98 upgrade disk you will need to have a good win95 or win3.11 install disk around to verify the eligability requirements.

Depending on the puter your installing on this could take 30min to over an hour.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I guess I have more problems than I can deal with. I restart the computer with the 98 start up disk and the 95 cd and after a moment it takes me to A:\>
If I type in Format it comes up with errors.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
When I start the computer it holds in a DOS MODE and reads:
Boot From ATAPI : Failure
Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter.

I don't have the MS 2000 disk.

This is and older computer and I have found that older computers run better off of 98 or 95.

what to do........

Pathos

The "Boot From ATAPI : Failure" would be the BIOS biatching about not being able to boot off the disk.

Couple o questions...
How big is the drive?
How old is this beast?
Who made it?
Can you see the drive in the CMOS setup?
When you first power it on what does the POST info show (if anything)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Pathos said:
The "Boot From ATAPI : Failure" would be the BIOS biatching about not being able to boot off the disk.

Couple o questions...
How big is the drive?
How old is this beast?
Who made it?
Can you see the drive in the CMOS setup?
When you first power it on what does the POST info show (if anything)
In the start up DOS, what tells me?
No idea
No name on it
Yes, I think

Pathos

Ok well... Just before you get the "Boot From ATAPI : Failure" would usally be a bunch o crap that displays for a couple of seconds, showing you things like processor speed amount of memory drives that are installed and what not. And before that you would usally get a little logo in the corner of the screen and something that looks tobe counting up memory. On the bottom of the screen it will sometimes tell you howto enter setup.

If you dont see this what do you get?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Pathos said:
Ok well... Just before you get the "Boot From ATAPI : Failure" would usally be a bunch o crap that displays for a couple of seconds, showing you things like processor speed amount of memory drives that are installed and what not. And before that you would usally get a little logo in the corner of the screen and something that looks tobe counting up memory. On the bottom of the screen it will sometimes tell you howto enter setup.

If you dont see this what do you get?
CPU Clock 274MHz
Extended Memory 9728OK
Cache Memory 512K

this stuff?

Pathos

Yeah that kinda stuff.. and if the CPU speed is really showing 274MHZ then you have other problems and your best bet is using it for target practice.

I have P3 500 that is curently being used as a footrest you could have for a 6pk o guinness :D

wrnchplr

free loader!!
I have P3 500 that is curently being used as a footrest you could have for a 6pk o guinness :D[/QUOTE]

I will take that off your hands. :)

Last edited: