More fun up Providence Canyon

hilltj

Lots of fun, lot's of snow, threw snowballs, got stuck... what better way to spend a Saturday morning...

All pics found here

We started up Millville first, but after sliding backwards on ice about 100 yards, we turned around and went to Providence instead... :rolleyes: (chains are on the list)

200312%20059.jpg

200312%20068.jpg

200312%20083.jpg

200312%20084.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
how do you like yer mtr's in the snow? i was out with Ollie, Kurt and sukab the other day...ollie and kurt run mtr's, and they held the snow in like greedy old farts pay $.25 for their entire lawn being mowed.....(i am clever) ;)

no really, they didn't do a greta job from what i saw....what do you think?

cool pics too... :D

hilltj

SAMI said:
how do you like yer mtr's in the snow? i was out with Ollie, Kurt and sukab the other day...ollie and kurt run mtr's, and they held the snow in like greedy old farts pay $.25 for their entire lawn being mowed.....(i am clever) ;)

no really, they didn't do a greta job from what i saw....what do you think?

cool pics too... :D

I gotta admit, it was scary as he!! sliding backwards down Millville on the ice... me=*pump the brakes... try first... try reverse... sliding faster... wish my brother had bumpers on that XJ back there... oh suck, which trees look softest...* :rolleyes: In other words, I wasn't too impressed with how they did on icy hardpack. :-\

As far as the deeper stuff, I didn't think they did too bad, I had Big-O XT's before this, and BFG MT's before that, and they were at least comparable. I've been pretty pleased with them so far. We'll see how they do on the roads this winter, I've only been running the MTR's since spring after the snow season.

Here's a question for you snow playing veterans: What are the pros and cons of airing down for playing in the snow? Out of habit, I aired down to about 10psi, but not really sure if that's a benefit in the snow? Comments, empirical data, scientific research, and opinions welcome!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
snow is an interesting substance....you have to choose whether you want to float or cut through it to reach the ground for traction.

Obviously snow-cats and snowmobiles try to stay on top, but wheeled vehicles tend to need to get down to something with more to it....thus the advent of the tire chain.

if you have super wide tires, you air down to create a larger contact patch spreading out the weight of the vehicle over a larger area, trying to float.

If you have skinny tires and there is Ice under the snow, you need chains to grip it.

Really deep snow say over 2 feet, you probably want to float on it. shallow less than 2 feet, you might want to cut down through....

The reality of it all is that our vehicles tend to end up somewhere inbetween floating and cutting through which makes snow wheeling so challenging!!

sorry for the confusing commentary....your trip looked really fun!!

Paudrhound

That looks like you folks had way too much fun! How big of a snowman did you build?... :)

BTDT on the ice SCARY! big pucker marks on the seats..........

theferg

DD for Life
Damn, wish I coulda joined ya--looks like fun. I've been doin' some work on the rig though... My guess is that up Millville, you made it to that uphill section that's a little bit before the giant rut? When we went there a while ago, that section was super ice and my buddy in his FJ40 had trouble gettin' up the ice with his SSRs (aired down to 8 psi) and a rear locker, but my rig didn't slip once on our way up... I was unlocked and runnin' 12 psi in MT/Rs. I have to say we were both impressed with what my MT/Rs were doin' and I wasn't impressed with his SSRs... Anyway, I think spencurai has pretty much nailed it with the airing down for snow.

-Ferg-