More Inspection Issues

Cory

My uncle has a 91 YJ with 33s and 4" lift, down near cedar city. He went to have it inspected and they told him that he needed larger flares and mudflaps. (We have all heard that they are really looking at that now, no big deal.) But they also told him that he needed a rear bumper that extended out as far as the tires. I've never heard that one before. Origionally YJs didn't even have a bumber, all they had were those bumperettes. (Those two little hoops bolted to each side of the cross member.)

I figure that as long he puts some origional bumperettes on they have to call it good on the bumper, don't they??? Right now he doesn't have anything but the crossmember. Now I'm worried that the Wilderness bumper and swing away system I put on my 95 YJ is going to get me in trouble when I have to get inspected.

utahxjer

tell him to put the bumperettes back on. Those are the original equipment and should be just fine. When I had 35's on my YJ I don't remember the tires sticking out past the rear bumper?

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
The bumper law is:

(2) (a) On all motor vehicles under 15,000 GVWR, bumpers shall be:
(i) at least 4.5 inches in vertical height;
(ii) centered on the vehicle's center line; and
(iii) extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distance.
(b) Bumpers shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3) When any motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with bumpers, the bumpers shall be maintained in operational condition and shall comply with this section.

I believe track width is center to center of the tires, not outside to outside.

ryan31783

Drunken Monkey
It depends where you get the inspection done too, one place I went (superior auto service) was somewhat anal about things, looking things up in their law book, while another shop I went to said that I had a bulb out. I told them I'd replace it and I haven't yet, but they passed me. They also said that there are at least a hundred pickups in cedar with wheels that went past the flares, so they didn't see a big deal. The place I went was at the corner of 200 S. and Main, on the northeast corner in with Ace Hardware. This is on a 95 chevy lifted 6" with 33's ...last august or so. They didn't look anything up in their book... you might want to tell him about that place.

Ryan