more power

Caleb

Originally posted by Snowman
cheap?

supercharger

those two words dont coincide too well...IMO, it would be cheaper to do a drivetrain swap...but a SC is kinda a bolt on thing...

better bang for the buck would be to stroke your motor to a 4.6L or 4.7L...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
If you want to go cheap, I would suggest just using one of K & N's FIPK2 sets, along with a good header and a cat back system. You could probably keep all that under a grand without too much work.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Nitrous oxide is always the best bang for the buck, no ifs and or buts. I don't think I would want it. HP costs $ no way around it. There may be cheap or free things you can do to gain some performance. I have never owned a 4.0 so I don't know it anything applies to your rig or not. First look for restrictions in the intake that you can cut out. For example I had intake silencers that were asily removed in both a 87 5.0 mustang and my 97 ford 460. Kand N air filter might gain you something. If your computer will allow advancing timing do it untill you get detonation and then back it off a little. I noticed a little power increase when instaling MSD spark box. Is there anything you can remove from the rig to lighten it? I hear about things like new airfilter tube assembles and intake spacers, or bigger throtlle bodies but they seem like a really bad deal for the gains they claim(even if produce do produce the HP gains they claim). Cat back systems may help but If it was me I would hollow the cat out while you are at it. I really beleive that performance bolt on stuff for the 4.0 is a waste of money. The engine is what it is. The factory did thier job well and bolting on things is just going to put your money in sombody elses pocket. A blower will produce big gains but they are not anywhere near cheep. A 258 crank would be great but I would wait until you need to rebuild(I can not imagine doing a rebuild with out stroking because it really wont cost much more and does make more torque).

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by Brett
If you want to go cheap, I would suggest just using one of K & N's FIPK2 sets, along with a good header and a cat back system. You could probably keep all that under a grand without too much work.

A grand? How many more ponys does this buy? You have to admit it sounds outragous.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by bobdog

A grand? How many more ponys does this buy? You have to admit it sounds outragous.

Well, the header is $405, the FIPK is $280, and the cat back is $271....so....there :D

Horesepower gains....maybe 20 I would guess....who knows....I wouldn't spend it on that....I don't need to go fast in my cherokee :D

Caleb

Nitrous oxide is always the best bang for the buck, no ifs and or buts. I don't think I would want it. HP costs $ no way around it. There may be cheap or free things you can do to gain some performance. I have never owned a 4.0 so I don't know it anything applies to your rig or not. First look for restrictions in the intake that you can cut out. For example I had intake silencers that were asily removed in both a 87 5.0 mustang and my 97 ford 460. Kand N air filter might gain you something. If your computer will allow advancing timing do it untill you get detonation and then back it off a little. I noticed a little power increase when instaling MSD spark box. Is there anything you can remove from the rig to lighten it? I hear about things like new airfilter tube assembles and intake spacers, or bigger throtlle bodies but they seem like a really bad deal for the gains they claim(even if produce do produce the HP gains they claim). Cat back systems may help but If it was me I would hollow the cat out while you are at it. I really beleive that performance bolt on stuff for the 4.0 is a waste of money. The engine is what it is. The factory did thier job well and bolting on things is just going to put your money in sombody elses pocket. A blower will produce big gains but they are not anywhere near cheep. A 258 crank would be great but I would wait until you need to rebuild(I can not imagine doing a rebuild with out stroking because it really wont cost much more and does make more torque).

you bring up a good point, if you haven;t already there is usually an air restrictor in the air tube just after the box on wranglers, I dont know if its there on cherokees, that was the biggest difference I noticed on my wrangler...I added a K&N and a throttle body spacer but didn;t get anything out of them (only an annoying whistle from the TB Spacer)...another thing that really actually made a difference on both my wrangler and my cherokee was a real nice set of wires (kinda the same thing as an MSD Spark Box idea) the wires helped a little but they didn;t break the bank so they were worth it IMO...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by Brett

Well, the header is $405, the FIPK is $280, and the cat back is $271....so....there :D

Horesepower gains....maybe 20 I would guess....who knows....I wouldn't spend it on that....I don't need to go fast in my cherokee :D

Thats kind of what I was trying to say. HP upgrades on Jeep engines do not deliver much return on your investment. $1000 dollars can easily buy you 150hp or more on a 350 chevy(Heads and cam) but on a Jeep motor 20? The stock 4.0s I have driven seem to have plenty of power anyway. I can understand the whole economy of scale thing but I really think that people that buy that stuff are being ripped off.

Brett

Meat-Hippy

Thats kind of what I was trying to say. HP upgrades on Jeep engines do not deliver much return on your investment. $1000 dollars can easily buy you 150hp or more on a 350 chevy(Heads and cam) but on a Jeep motor 20? The stock 4.0s I have driven seem to have plenty of power anyway. I can understand the whole economy of scale thing but I really think that people that buy that stuff are being ripped off.

Agreed. My 4.0 isn't even a high output and I think it's got plenty of power for what I use it for :D

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I'm actually suprised with the power increases I got on my 4.0 HO... I did remove the restrictor in the air tube, put in a K&N and put in new spark plugs, and wires... A Magnaflow exhaust from muffler back and I got about 20 just from that!

Maybe even more, Ithink i got about 10 just from removing the restrictor in the air box