More threats to the recreational trails program - help needed

Immediate Action Needed for Recreational Trails Program

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is one of the most important sources of funding for our motorized trail systems. Without this program, thousands of miles of motorized trails would no longer exist or would not have been possible in the first place.

The program is in jeopardy and is poised to be eliminated.

Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman Barbara Boxer has proposed legislation that will threaten the very existence of RTP and has already passed it out of Committee. It is imperative that we make sure that Chairman Boxer and the other Members of the Environment and Public Works Committee understand how important RTP is to us and to urge them to protect dedicated funding for the RTP in a manager’s amendment before the bill moves forward. Make sure that they understand this money comes from motorized recreation and pays for itself.

The Americans for Responsible Recreational Access (ARRA) has a letter you can send to your legislators. All you need to do is click on this link and you will be taken to the webpage with instructions for filling out a letter.
Take action today, because tomorrow may see the end of the RTP program.

From ARRA
RTP in Jeopardy!

Contact Environment and Public Works Committee Members: Urge Them to Act!

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP), arguably the most important government program ever created to benefit motorized recreation (as well as non-motorized recreation) faces a big hurdle in transportation reauthorization legislation! As you know the RTP funds the development and maintenance of thousands of miles of motorized trails, but without action the RTP may be eliminated.

Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman Barbara Boxer has proposed legislation that will threaten the very existence of RTP and has already passed it out of Committee. It is imperative that we make sure that Chairman Boxer and the other Members of the Environment and Public Works Committee understand how important RTP is to us and to urge them to protect dedicated funding for the RTP in a manager’s amendment before the bill moves forward.

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/sit...in=true&JServSessionIdr004=mn6fsbs9n2.app331a

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, what exactly does this RTP do, and why have I never heard about it until now? It seems to me this should be a state issue. The federal government should stay the F out of my recreation. They're the ones that have been locking me out for the last 20 years. Are there any specific examples of the RTP doing anything to benefit my access to my public land in Utah? If not, why would I want to fund it? None of this is rhetorical. I really would like to know what it is they've done for me. In general I support a much smaller federal government, so I really need convincing to support a part of it that is about to be disbanded.

So, what exactly does this RTP do, and why have I never heard about it until now? It seems to me this should be a state issue. The federal government should stay the F out of my recreation. They're the ones that have been locking me out for the last 20 years. Are there any specific examples of the RTP doing anything to benefit my access to my public land in Utah? If not, why would I want to fund it? None of this is rhetorical. I really would like to know what it is they've done for me. In general I support a much smaller federal government, so I really need convincing to support a part of it that is about to be disbanded.

For all the horses, here's some water if you want to drink.

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) provides funds to the States to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both nonmotorized and motorized recreational trail uses. The RTP is an assistance program of the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Federal transportation funds benefit recreation including hiking, bicycling, in-line skating, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcycling, all-terrain vehicle riding, four-wheel driving, or using other off-road motorized vehicles.

The RTP funds come from the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and represent a portion of the motor fuel excise tax collected from nonhighway recreational fuel use: fuel used for off-highway recreation by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, and off-highway light trucks.

The RTP funds are distributed to the States by legislative formula: half of the funds are distributed equally among all States, and half are distributed in proportion to the estimated amount of nonhighway recreational fuel use in each State.

Each State administers its own program.

What has RTP done for you? Bathrooms at 5MP is one I can think of off the top of my head. Projects on the Paiute trail system. The Deseret Peak Moto complex in Tooele. Trail maintenance equipment for State Parks & Rec. Backcountry avalanche control. OHV trails in Fishlake, Manti-Lasal, and UWC national forests. A BLM OHV education program in Utah. Trails from Moab to Logan. Many projects on the Rubicon. The ATV and snowmobile user groups have taken great advantage of RTP funds. Some others might have examples.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
For all the horses, here's some water if you want to drink.

What has RTP done for you? Bathrooms at 5MP is one I can think of off the top of my head. Projects on the Paiute trail system. The Deseret Peak Moto complex in Tooele. Trail maintenance equipment for State Parks & Rec. Backcountry avalanche control. OHV trails in Fishlake, Manti-Lasal, and UWC national forests. A BLM OHV education program in Utah. Trails from Moab to Logan. Many projects on the Rubicon. The ATV and snowmobile user groups have taken great advantage of RTP funds. Some others might have examples.

Interesting. Is there any way we can take better advantage of these funds? I still don't know that I agree that it's th federal government's place to pass out recreation dollars, especially while it's also trying to close down recreation, but that's probably a discussion for another thread. I sent my form.

Interesting. Is there any way we can take better advantage of these funds?

Absolutely there is. The fund has a surplus almost every year and the surplus goes back to the general fund. There are COUNTLESS projects that would qualify if somone took ownership and got them planned, documented and approved. The Rubicon and Inyo NF rely HEAVILY on RTP as do many other OHV recreation areas.

SportSawyer

Is there any way we can take better advantage of these funds? ...

See http://stateparks.utah.gov/grants/rectrails for more information on the RTP grant process in Utah. The reason this money comes from the Feds is it's a portion of Federal gas tax that's paid for every gallon of gas sold. The portion is based on the amount of gas that's sold for vehicles that are used off-highway. If the portion that's used by vehicles that don't use highways isn't distributed to their use on trails, it stays in the highway fund for use on highways, public transportation, etc.

There's a similar grant program in Utah funded with a portion of Utah gas tax & OHV registration fees, see http://stateparks.utah.gov/grants/ohv