Moto Hitch Hauler Who uses one?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

SpeedyVic

With a fork brace and the big pin in that the RMATV one comes with, I've not had a single problem with using only two straps. If you don't use a fork brace and you don't have the pin, then I wouldn't use one. You'll blow your seals out if you try to take up enough of the suspension without the brace and if you don't take up enough suspension then you'll surely drop a strap and then there goes your bike....

What is this pin you speak of? I can't even find the hauler at RMATV.

Doesn't everyone use a fork brace? I thought that was the first thing you buy after you get a bike.

Caleb

What is this pin you speak of? I can't even find the hauler at RMATV.

Doesn't everyone use a fork brace? I thought that was the first thing you buy after you get a bike.

A fork brace was one of the first things I bought when I got a bike and I was trying to use a 2x4 :D

The pin is a large pin that goes from rail to rail through the rim of the bike and prevents it from bouncing out. The way I put my bike on my carrier, I strap the front and the rear gets the pin. I've seen other guys use the pin on their front but then they still have to strap front and rear to prevent the bike from coming off. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A fork brace was one of the first things I bought when I got a bike and I was trying to use a 2x4 :D

The pin is a large pin that goes from rail to rail through the rim of the bike and prevents it from bouncing out. The way I put my bike on my carrier, I strap the front and the rear gets the pin. I've seen other guys use the pin on their front but then they still have to strap front and rear to prevent the bike from coming off. I'll see if I can find some pics.

I know we've talked about it, but my RMATV carrier didn't come with a pin... even though there's a place for one. I guess I need to buy a fork brace... :eek:

SpeedyVic

Here's the product page from RMATV, apparently they no longer offer it.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/16780/Rider-Cargo-Single-Motorcycle-Carrier

If you look really closely in that pic, you can see the pin, they have it on the front wheel.

Thanks Caleb. When I tie up my bike, I use two on the bars, like normal, but I also use one extra tie from the bars down along the forks to the hauler. This tie is to compress the front suspension down onto the fork brace and keep it compressed. That and the one tie around the rear tire keeps my bike pretty secure, even down the washboards at Jericho. For the next riding season, I am going to mod my straps a little, just for piece of mind. I use soft tie extension on the bars. I think I will replace the hooks on my straps with carabiner style hardware so that the strap will not be able to fall off the attach points. Though I have never had a bike tip, I have had a strap come loose due to excessive slack. It was in my trailer and I had tied it up with redundant ties so all was still good.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would recommend soft loop tie downs with the caribeaner (spelling) ends opposite the soft loop. No chance of a bounce causing a tie down to pop off. I have a set of pro tapers that I love but there are cheaper versions.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Caleb

I would recommend soft loop tie downs with the caribeaner (spelling) ends opposite the soft loop. No chance of a bounce causing a tie down to pop off. I have a set of pro tapers that I love but there are cheaper versions.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Those are the same thing I use. Mine are the Works Connection ones but they are the same as the Pro Taper ones.