Motor mounts

RogueJeepr

Here!
Sounds like I need to do motor mounts on my XJ
(but if im really gentle on the pedal, I dont hear it)

Which do you guys perfer.
Using a floor jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan
OR
Should I bust out my engine hoist ?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Safest is engine hoist, but when I did the motor mounts on my FJ 60 (I know its not exactly the same) I used a floor jack and a block of wood along the oil pan bolts (no preasure on the pan itself, all preasure on the bolt heads where they mount to the block) and just did one side at a time. Hope that makes sense.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I have done both. I would use a cherry picker if it was available so I could suspend the engine(slightly) to line everything up if it needed. (Helpful when installing solid/poly mounts)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I've done dozens with a floor jack and a chunk of wood. Don't bother with the hoist as there is nothing to be gained from using it. As far as safety is concerned, I'd argue it's sixes - you're relying on a hydraulic cylinder either way.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's funny you post this thread, I'm halfway through doing a set of aftermarket ones on my TJ, and moronic Jeep in their infinite wisdom stuck the AC compressor mount in the way of pulling out the bolt.

If they had only ran the bolt in from the back I'd be done already.....

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've done them both ways and had same results from either. Just be sure if you use a block under your oil pan that it spans clear across the pan so it is supported by the vertical portion of the sides of the pan otherwise you can still put a pretty nasty dent in the bottom of the pan and worse case scenario push the pan up against the pickup tube inside.

If you have access to a lift I prefer to use an engine support fixture and support the engine from the topside, pull the motor mount bolt, raise the engine slightly and raise the Jeep up to gain access from underneath. Nothing in the way then.

Mike

RogueJeepr

Here!
That's funny you post this thread, I'm halfway through doing a set of aftermarket ones on my TJ, and moronic Jeep in their infinite wisdom stuck the AC compressor mount in the way of pulling out the bolt.

If they had only ran the bolt in from the back I'd be done already.....
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into which way the bolt is on that side.

Thought I was just being paranoid about the oilpan, so I'll be going with my gut feeling and using the hoist.
(Hell, it barely gets used anyway)
Thank you all for the input.[emoji106]

Probably start on it Saturday after the Rattlesnake sign is done.

Last edited:

thenag

I've done them both ways and had same results from either. Just be sure if you use a block under your oil pan that it spans clear across the pan so it is supported by the vertical portion of the sides of the pan otherwise you can still put a pretty nasty dent in the bottom of the pan and worse case scenario push the pan up against the pickup tube inside.

If you have access to a lift I prefer to use an engine support fixture and support the engine from the topside, pull the motor mount bolt, raise the engine slightly and raise the Jeep up to gain access from underneath. Nothing in the way then.

Mike

I have pulled the tires off my jeep and lowered it to make it easier to support/work on.

I think that the big motor mount bolt on the driver side gets in the way of something, I seem to remember in my case that I am hosed either way, I seem to remember cursing my York OBA mount last time I messed with it.

I will let you know in a few months when I rebuild my ax15 and have to lower the engine to un-bolt the transmission. (boy how a tj with a body lift sounds like a great idea...)

All in all it is pretty straight forward in an XJ, of course I have only done it on an XJ with 6+ inches of lift so that might make it easier...

Nathan

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have pulled the tires off my jeep and lowered it to make it easier to support/work on.

I think that the big motor mount bolt on the driver side gets in the way of something, I seem to remember in my case that I am hosed either way, I seem to remember cursing my York OBA mount last time I messed with it.

I will let you know in a few months when I rebuild my ax15 and have to lower the engine to un-bolt the transmission. (boy how a tj with a body lift sounds like a great idea...)

All in all it is pretty straight forward in an XJ, of course I have only done it on an XJ with 6+ inches of lift so that might make it easier...

Nathan

I agree about the body lift Nathan. I absolutely despise body lifts but they would make some jobs easier. Seems like most of the transmission and TC work I end up doing lately all have tummy tucks.:(

Mike

RogueJeepr

Here!
Got the driver side done tonight. Not bad at all.
Spent more time setting up the engine hoist than buzzing off bolts.

RogueJeepr

Here!
[emoji15]
18dc63db6c5291ddb8e30df23a3d28db.jpg

Passenger side went smoothly with the help of a prybar and the mount wasn't nearly as torn up like the driver side.

Last edited: