motorcyle trail tools/spare parts - post a photo

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
What tools and/or spare parts do you carry with you for a day trip or just a ride with buddies? What are the items you have found are practical?

Post photos if you can!

D

Deleted member 12904

This is my bag, I dont carry everything all the time but everything here is for this bag. If im at the knolls, delle, sand dunes or places like that I usally wont take anything.

Backpack
64 oz water bladder
first aid/ survival kit
epoxy steel
radiator fix
spare clutch and brake lever
electrical tape
duck tape
two bandanas
two hose clamps
spare lens for goggles
50' of 1800# mule tape
tool kit
Spare front tube
sharpie
bike registration
and I didnt take it out for the pic but keep $20 cash in the bag also

First aid kit is basic but added a lighter and waterproof matches.
glow stick
toilet paper
Superglue ( field sutures)
poncho
and a handfull of latex goves

tool bag
Zip ties
8mm nut driver
10mm nut driver
tire inflator with extra co2
multi tool
metric allen keys
mini screw driver
valve stem puller
two tire irons
8.10.12.14mm wrenches
Cresent wrench with holes drilled for weight
tire patch kit
spare 15 amp fuses
SS saftey wire

D

Deleted member 12904

wow, I'm going to start riding with Deviant more.

Like I said I dont always pack it all or any of it. But for the average ride solo or with one person in areas the would really suck to walk out of I usually pack it all but the spare tube. I only carry the tube when Im doing 50+ miles

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
i ride a wr....

i dont need spare parts. hehehe

i just got a new back pack from wal mart that has a built in hydration pack. i plan on adding some stuff.

i got a small bike pump from walmart for 10 bucks. its been put to good use a few times already

Caleb

I'll post up what I carry on a normal ride, solo or not, probably tomorrow. In short, I don't really carry many (if any) spare parts. Most of my stuff is tools. I used to carry a ton but found there wasn't a need most of the time. Like a tube, unless you're riding way far then a tube is just extra weight. You can ride quite a ways on a flat (front or rear).

D

Deleted member 12904

So tonight I was packing up to go put down some miles on the south of 5 mile tomorrow. I'm riding with one other and he is a newer rider but surprisingly fast. This will be by far the most miles he has done in a day. So I'm going prepared for both of us. No spare tube but everything else including the full bladder of water. Also with uncertain weather I tossed in a compressed down coat, hat and warm gloves just incase.
2013-04-13_20-45-08_468_zpsdaed3af8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rholbrook

I'm with Cheston. With a WR, you don't need spare parts. Actually a carry wrenches from 8mm up to 14 mm. Phillips and regular screw drivers, duct tape, rope, Allen wrenches, clutch and break handles for a Honda because they will also fit a Yamaha, water, spare gloves, knife, light, lighter and condoms. Actually, no condoms just checking to see if anyone is paying attention. Some quick energy food too. I used to carry tubes and a small tire iron but I was the one who never got the flat so I quit carrying them and then got the flat on the next ride. I also carry an extra water bottle and an empty squished up water bottle to use as a gas can when pulling fuel from one bike to pour in another if they run out. This is actually used more than anything else I'm my bag.

Really no need to carry levers if you have bark busters on. I carry them for others to use.

I can tell you that a Dunlop 606 will start tossing knobbies and showing belts at 23 miles and by 35 really start coming apart.

jentzschman

One thing I heard is you can carry just the front tire tube. (I thought I saw this idea on here somewhere) If the rear goes flat, the front tube will still be able to get you out. This way you can save the weight/capacity of carrying two tubes.

Caleb

Here's what I normally carry in my tail bag:

IMG_0440.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

Wrenches and sockets from 6mm up to 14mm, pliers, screwdrivers, spare bolt kit, master link, spare spark plug, tow strap, para cord, and a clean rag. I also always have water, a knife, my gun, and some snacks to hold me over should I get stuck somewhere unexpectedly or I need some quick energy.

Caleb

Nice. You carry your weapon I see. I was wondering about weather or not to carry mine.

Never leave home without it. The number of weirdos and animals I've come across while out riding, I don't dare go without it. The few times that I forget to put it in, I feel bare.

jentzschman

Never leave home without it. The number of weirdos and animals I've come across while out riding, I don't dare go without it. The few times that I forget to put it in, I feel bare.

What do you carry, if you don't mind me asking? I have a G19 and wonder if its too heavy to carry? I really want to get a G26

Caleb

What do you carry, if you don't mind me asking? I have a G19 and wonder if its too heavy to carry? I really want to get a G26

It really depends on what other gear I have with me. I either carry a fullsize Walther P99 or I carry a Sig P290. I'm a way better shot with the P99 so I prefer to carry it, but sometimes I can't fit it so the P290 comes with. My buddy that always rides with me always has a G26 on him when riding. That would be a good gun to carry while riding but I prefer the single stack when actually carrying so I haven't bought anything else yet. I could see a G26 in my future for my riding gun.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
On my WR, I had a small tool bag on the rear fender and I always had channel locks and a spark plug, A "husky" t-wrench that fit an 8 and 10 mm socket in the handle (for pulling off plastics), zip ties, and a small spool of bailing wire. For 90% of my quick fixes, these did the trick, and I liked it because I didn't need to take off my pack to change my plug or zip tie on a loose something-or-other.

In my pack I had water, needle nose pliers, a crescent wrench w/ some duct tape storage wrapped around the handle, A pack of various metric dirtbike bolts (I can't count how many times this came in handy for me or a friend), granola bar, gun, knife, and a cheapo blue tie-down strap (this also came in handy many times for various things including towing.)

I never really needed anything else. I've never gotten a flat out on the trail, so I haven't worried about a tube. (I'm glad that didn't ever bite me in the butt!)