mount tranny cooler before or after radiator?

berrett

i am putting in a transmission cooler in my wagoneer and was wondering where people recommend placing it. i won't be running a fan for it, it will just be mounted on the front of the radiator. should i plumb it before or after the cooler in the radiator (seems people recommend before, but have seen it done both ways). so what is the best set-up?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Good question. I would say after. Radiators are hot, so your tranny fluid is never going to get any cooler than the radiator if you put the cooler before it. If you put the cooler after the radiator, you could potentially cool the fluid below the temperature of the radiator. That's just my gut reaction though, I don't have any expertise in the matter.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Good question. I would say after. Radiators are hot, so your tranny fluid is never going to get any cooler than the radiator if you put the cooler before it. If you put the cooler after the radiator, you could potentially cool the fluid below the temperature of the radiator. That's just my gut reaction though, I don't have any expertise in the matter.

I've always heard to just run it independently of the radiator. Makes sense to me. I've had a tranny temp gauge in my Powerjoke for quite a while now and it's rare that the trans temp gets as hot as the motor. Why run it through the radiator and heat it up?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I follow the manufacturer's advice and run mine in line: through the radiator first, then the cooler, then back to the tranny. Every cooler I've ever used has recommended either that, or running it independent. I figure the radiator will knock temps down a little bit first, and it's less routing of hose. :D

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
I've always heard to just run it independently of the radiator. Makes sense to me. I've had a tranny temp gauge in my Powerjoke for quite a while now and it's rare that the trans temp gets as hot as the motor. Why run it through the radiator and heat it up?

Every fluid has an optimal running temp. When it's 5* outside the coolent will warm it up so it shifts better.

red

the best option is to have the tranny cooler seperate with its own electric fan attatched to it (b&m remote mount kit for example) but otherwise i would highly recommend placing the cooler in front of the radiator, and before the ac evaporator if you have that. if this is a tow rig you have to keep that tranny cooler in the location to get the coolest air. if its an offroad rig or non-tow rig then behind the radiator works, just doesnt provide the coolest air since its getting hot air thats flowing through the radiator.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
the best option is to have the tranny cooler seperate with its own electric fan attatched to it (b&m remote mount kit for example) but otherwise i would highly recommend placing the cooler in front of the radiator, and before the ac evaporator if you have that. if this is a tow rig you have to keep that tranny cooler in the location to get the coolest air. if its an offroad rig or non-tow rig then behind the radiator works, just doesnt provide the coolest air since its getting hot air thats flowing through the radiator.

I think you misinterpreted the question. ;) It's not a question of physical location of the cooler, it's a question of sequence of the components.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
My setup plumbs through the radiator to pre-heat the fluid and then through the cooler. My trans gauge never sees above 220* in the summer while towing. I really have to work it before it gets that hot.

Winter time it's never above 150*, again that is working it. On the freeway it maybe reads 100*.

I have never got a solid answer regarding optimal temp but I feel 100* is far too low so I run a piece of cardboard over the cooler when the temps drop.

FWIW all of our Airport equipment runs through the radiator then a cooler.

berrett

this is interesting. i see the logic in both arguemnts (after rad = cooler ATF, before rad = ATF doesnt get to cold). seems different bulletin boards say different things, i have found a lot of people that claim it needs to be before the rad. to prevent over-cooling of the fluid. they say autos don't like cold fluild just as much as they hate hot fluild. just seeing what people that run them do. btw this is not in a tow rig, its in my wheeler.