Wanted Mountain Bike for 14 yo boy

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am looking for a good used mountain bike for my soon to be 14 year old son. He is about 5'5 and growing. Looking to spend about $200. Not sure what is out there, but may be willing to spend more for the right bike he can grow into (maybe). Show me what you got!

Thanks for any help!

sixstringsteve

I've got a Gary Fisher opie I'd sell cheap. It's a hardtail aluminum bike. It's a complete bike except for the front brake. I took it off to ride my pump track and then I lost the brake and lever. The frame has disc brake tabs for future upgradeability, but it's never had discs before.

It's kinda heavy with a cheaper front fork, but it's a solid bike with some upgraded components. It's got an XT rear der, tru vativ hussafelt cranks and stem. I'd let it go for $100. That should give you some leftover @ to cover the cost of a front brake and lever and then some. It's sized to fit someone 5'5-5'8. It's red and unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I might be able to get some. I've been looking for the right home for it.

Last edited:

trevortoyota

That Guy!
The Gary Fisher Opie is a good bike....I rode one for 3 years on trail and all mtn trails and it worked well. I actually am trying to re-home mine also....GLWS Steve.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I've got a Gary Fisher opie I'd sell cheap. It's a hardtail aluminum bike. It's a complete bike except for the front brake. I took it off to ride my pump track and then I lost the brake and lever. The frame has disc brake tabs for future upgradeability, but it's never had discs before.

It's kinda heavy with a cheaper front fork, but it's a solid bike with some upgraded components. It's got an XT rear der, tru vativ hussafelt cranks and stem. I'd let it go for $100. That should give you some leftover @ to cover the cost of a front brake and lever and then some. It's sized to fit someone 5'5-5'8. It's red and unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I might be able to get some. I've been looking for the right home for it.
Great! Can you hold it for me till next Monday? That's the earliest I could make it down your way to take a look.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have an older Mongoose Hill Topper, its been my bike since I was that age. In decent shape needs a tune up maybe a few new parts. Best part is its FREEEEE to a good home. I think the frame is a 19.5 if that sounds right.

I can send pics text me at 8 oh 1 six five two six one seven eight

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have an older Mongoose Hill Topper, its been my bike since I was that age. In decent shape needs a tune up maybe a few new parts. Best part is its FREEEEE to a good home. I think the frame is a 19.5 if that sounds right.

I can send pics text me at 8 oh 1 six five two six one seven eight

Are you free Monday of next week? I would like to swing by and look at it.