Moving a safe

kruzr69

I need to move my gun safe downstairs. Any one ever done this? I really dont want to move it, but thats where it needs to go. There are 7 stairs and not alot of room at the top to manuver it. Any ideas?

BronkoRob

how heavy is it? when i worked at jons lock and key we strapped it to the safe dolley...pretty much a regular dolly just rated for 1200 pounds and put it flat on the stairs and lowered it down really slow.

notajeep

Just me
you can get an appliance dolly with a big strap for $10 for the day at any u-haul dealer. :) ....Or just drive to logan and I will let you borrow one for free! :rofl:

kruzr69

I dont know how heavy it actually is, I found a similar one on the company's website that said it was 1200 lbs. It is a 42 gun liberty safe.
My wife doesnt think just giving it a push from the top of the stairs is a good idea.
I have thought about just using my 4-wheeler winch to let it down slow, but i cant get it square with the stairs if it is laying down.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
kruzr69 said:
I have thought about just using my 4-wheeler winch to let it down slow, but i cant get it square with the stairs if it is laying down.

I first pictured you explaining to the wife the tire tracks going up her newly carpeted stairs

Then I pictured a safe laying on the ground, followed by some coiled up winch cable, followed by a nose first 4 wheeler, followed by a crumpled body. Something like Willy Coyote. beep beep :rofl:

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
I think that all the suggestions should be used. the dolly & the people to lower it down the stairs, a wench and a four wheeler to drag into the next room. how steep are your stairs? Do you have a banister along the stairs or is it nothing but walls on each side.
Good luck...I personally have never had to do this.
How the hell did you get the safe on the second floor anyways?

footin fool

Call liberty safe in Orem and ask them how much to come and move it. i have heard alot of the safe companys wil come for free if you bought the safe from them. If you do it your self get a good blanket and slide it down the stairs. Three strong people and a good hand truck to wheel it any where you need to. move it slow.

V-DAWG

someday
I have moved plenty of safes- but I am not an expert by any means. I used to work for a moving company, and I can tell you that the $10 refrigerator dolly from U-Haul will not do you any good. We used a 6' tall dolly with a set of wheels that "kick back". The main wheels were probably 10-12" in diameter, and it also had the belts on the back like the refer dolly to help go down the stairs. You will want a dolly that is taller than the safe, or when you try to go down the stairs it will be very difficult to control. Also I would suggest 3-4 people. 2 to hold each handle on top, and 1 or 2 to help it go slow down the stairs.

Be sure to strap the safe to the dolly properly. I have a buddy with a few metal rods in his leg from a fireproof filing cabinent. His leg busted in half like a pencil.

CJJ92yj

My odl man bought a Liberty safe about 2 years ago. Direct from the factory because the place he works had a special deal worked out with them. Basically got it for jsut over half price, and his company paid the rest. Part of their safety program he said.

Anyways, he said that when they delivered it, they had it on a trailer. They lifted it up somehow and put it on a "crawler". The crawler was remote controlled and on tracks I believe. It drove the safe off the trailer and into the garage. Then somehow it crawled up 3 stairs into the house and down a complete flight of stairs into his basement. He tried explaining to me about how it would adjust to different pitches of stairs, but I really didn't understand how it all worked. But it did. All they had to do was slide it off the "crawler" and into place once it was in the basement.

As mentioned before, I would call the company and see if they could move it for you, or if they knew of a better way than almost killing a few people trying to do what you think would work.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have moved pianos for many years and have placed them in many different areas with in houses. We used a skid board to attach the piano to and then sat it on a dolly to move it around. Now, I'm talking about Grand Pianos that were laid on their side. The skid boards work very well when going up or down hill because the item is mounted to the board with straps and handles.
When I moved my grand into our new house I built my own skid board. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

kruzr69

It is going to be about 3 weeks until i do this, just trying to get some ideas I hadnt thought of. I get to go to Dugway for our annual training. :(
Thanks for the ideas.

reddog

let me know when. I am avalible to give you a hand in gettting it down the stairs. but it will cost ya :greg:
seriously let me know
Reddog

74highboy

throw a party get a bunch of friends over then tell them you need to move the safe then get a case of beer for them

Ken

We moved a big one up some stairs about a year ago when my buddy moved. We had some straps for two guys to hold up top and then three of us pushing from below. Blanket the heck out of it for damage control and sliding purposes.