mud flaps?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I was looking through the new lift law, but couldn't really find an answer to my question. Are front mud flaps needed or just rear mudflaps?

demon jeep

Banned
Just got poled over the other day for that and you need just rear
I had to call a UHP friend to find out. The provo police man had no idea, he was going to give me a ticket for being to high (3" tera lift w/ 33 tsl) so had to wip out the lift law for the poor lost sole and left with 3 fix it tickets instead of one.:(

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
What!!! Three fix its?! Fix what? #1 mudflaps, #2 lift height, #3 flares? I don't know anyone that gets pulled over as much as you! And I was there for half of them! Were you flashing the nice policeman with your undercarriage lights again?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Demon that is harrasment no traffic officer could mistake your jeep for being too high not even under the old lift law. What were the fix its? Did he catch the missing side markers? P.S. Sorry for leaving last week I waited for a little while, but I was scared about what was going to happen to me when I got home.

demon jeep

Banned
Originally posted by rustybronco
What!!! Three fix its?! Fix what? #1 mudflaps, #2 lift height, #3 flares? I don't know anyone that gets pulled over as much as you! And I was there for half of them! Were you flashing the nice policeman with your undercarriage lights again?

For once NO I was going to a hockey game at the peaks and it was 10:00 pm. No doors, no flares, No mud flaps, no front side markers, broken windshield, teraflex sticker in the lower part of windshield and was going 25 in a 15.. he only got me for the winshield the flares and no mud flaps but he wanted alot more but the good old lift law paper saved me and think made him feel like a a$$.

demon jeep

Banned
Originally posted by bobdog
Demon that is harrasment no traffic officer could mistake your jeep for being too high not even under the old lift law. What were the fix its? Did he catch the missing side markers? P.S. Sorry for leaving last week I waited for a little while, but I was scared about what was going to happen to me when I got home.

No he did not I think he was so screwed up over the paper that I wipped out that he forgot half of the the things that he could get me for. dont woory about leaving we just drove down slowly had real funny noise in the jeep all it was was just a little rock between my radious arm and the bracket. The best part about when I left the officer I had to back up and with that implament light as a back up i think it gave him a tan

:D :cool:

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
You only need rear mudflaps that cover 1/2 of the tire, I believe. I think I need to get some wing-nuts too! And of course fender flares within 1/2" of the edge of the tire (I think). :p

controlfreak

The rear mud flap has to cover all of the tire's width and half it's height. Also, the tire can't extend further than 1" outside the fender, front or rear.

Last edited:

MattL

Ill tell ya what, those provo cops harass ya for nothing.

I got pulled over in my honda. I was getting off the freeway and was on center street and saw him at the first intersectin and all of a sudden my gut says your getting pulled over. About 40 seconds later he pulls out and proceeds to track me down. when all said and done he gave me a ticket for not having a passenger window mirror.

Im like the car didnt cone with one from the factory, let alone a cigarette lighter. hes like " in provo we do things a bit different"

you can say that again.. aaugh. last time i went to provo and that was 3 years ago.

demon jeep

Banned
Yup I have had them do that to me so I took it to court and the cop did not show up and the judge had it for him doing things like that. he got fride the next year.

controlfreak

Sorry I was wrong:eek: The new law does state that the fender only has to cover 50% of the tires width but the rear mud flap still has to cover all of the width. Go figure.

demon jeep

Banned
Originally posted by controlfreak
Sorry I was wrong:eek: The new law does state that the fender only has to cover 50% of the tires width but the rear mud flap still has to cover all of the width. Go figure.

I hear dthat it has to be covering the entire TREAD. If you look out your door/window and see tread you are not legal.

If any one has info on this could you please post it becouse I have 50% coverage on my jeep and need to know.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Let's see if I can make this clear.
If you have a 30x12.5x15" tire then,

Your Fender Flare has to cover the entire 12.5" of the tire, meaning that the whole top portion has to be covered.

Your Mud Flaps have to cover the full 12.5" of the trire and the top 50% of the 30" tire.

Thus, from the rear of the rig, the only part of the tire that can be uncovered is the Lower 50% of the tire.

Cool?

demon jeep

Banned
Yup That is what I figured it would be that easy if I was only running 30s but I got 33s and now need to steel my wifes 32 on canyon wheels to get that part passed and then on to every thing else.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Man...I hate getting pulled over for nit picky crap. I wish cops would focus on the true criminals rather than raking in revenue from people with tires hangin' out an inch too far. I've been pulled over way too many times in the last 12 months. I can't afford to deal with any more tickets....

Next time I see the lights in my rear view mirror I'm just gonna hit the ARB switches and make an abrupt turn into the rough stuff. Luckily my spare tire covers up my rear license plate :D

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
Man...I hate getting pulled over for nit picky crap. I wish cops would focus on the true criminals rather than raking in revenue from people with tires hangin' out an inch too far. I've been pulled over way too many times in the last 12 months. I can't afford to deal with any more tickets....

Next time I see the lights in my rear view mirror I'm just gonna hit the ARB switches and make an abrupt turn into the rough stuff. Luckily my spare tire covers up my rear license plate :D

I must be lucky or something. I've been driving my Jeep for a year and a half with my tires sticking out, and no mudflaps. In all that time I've been pulled over once for expired registration in Logan.